Red Wings Lose Six Straight Games to Open Season for the First Time in Franchise History

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think this is a good cooldown phase for the Detroit Red Wings. I expect them to sell out at the deadline and the only players that stay are the ones who genuinely love Detroit or the young prospects. Otherwise, I don't expect them to improve that much in the coming years.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Red wing fans should be overjoyed. Toronto had one awful year and that's all it took.

Ya, I kinda look at our position as Toronto before they got Matthews. A lot of good young talent but not really the game breaker they need. (Zadina being the closest thing we have to Marner) Hopefully this absolutely abysmal start is the catalyst to acquiring that.

Mike Illitch created a winning franchise. I guess we'll never know what he would've done at this juncture, but I don't think "ignore horrible decisions and settle on being a basement team" would be it.

I mean, what bad decisions has he made in the last two years? He definitely made bad ones in the years leading up, when he was still trying to hold on to the streak, (Helm and Abdelkader deals, Quincey trade, etc.) but since officially declaring a rebuild, he's been pretty on point.

Brendan Smith trade got us Berggren+. Tatar trade got us Veleno + NYI's 2nd+. (Probably between 35-42) 2018 draft was ridiculous. Larkin was signed to a good deal.

Trade 1OA 2019 for Dahlin straight up

I'd say Jack Hughes has at least 3 1st overall guys in the last 10 years that'd be ranked ahead of him pre-draft. (McDavid/Mackinnon/Matthews) Dahlin was the most hyped defender in 40 years. Never happening.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ya, I kinda look at our position as Toronto before they got Matthews. A lot of good young talent but not really the game breaker they need. (Zadina being the closest thing we have to Marner) Hopefully this absolutely abysmal start is the catalyst to acquiring that.

Not trying to be a dick but more like Buffalo before they got Eichel. Leafs had JVR and Kadri on the roster, as well as Gardiner and Rielly. Then some good NHL vets like Bozak and Komarov coming off a career year. Then they added two top 10 prospects and a top 20 prospect + 5 other rookies.

I don't see the comparable.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not trying to be a dick but more like Buffalo before they got Eichel. Leafs had JVR and Kadri on the roster, as well as Gardiner and Rielly. Then some good NHL vets like Bozak and Komarov coming off a career year. Then they added two top 10 prospects and a top 20 prospect + 5 other rookies.

Ya, I wasn't referring to vets. With Zetterberg gone we're pretty much a shit-sandwich vets wise. :laugh:

Personally, I'd take Larkin over JVR. Closest thing we have to a Kadri comparable though is Mantha. (Who does have comparable production at the same age, but different position)

And ya, we won't talk about defense either. :laugh: But Cholowski does look really, really good.

Point is, say Detroit added their Auston Matthews in Jack Hughes. They're then looking at a top 6 of:

Zadina - Hughes - Rasmussen
Mantha - Larkin - ***

Could be a lot of options for that last guy, but that's not a bad looking prospective top 6.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think this is a good cooldown phase for the Detroit Red Wings. I expect them to sell out at the deadline and the only players that stay are the ones who genuinely love Detroit or the young prospects. Otherwise, I don't expect them to improve that much in the coming years.

I mean, realistically the only real asset they have to sell is Nyquist.

Abdelkader, Dekeyser and Helm are duds with term. Nielsen and Vanek have NTC's.

And obviously, Larkin and Mantha aren't being moved. (Unless Mantha somehow returns an under 25 1st pairing D-man... So no.)

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour

Leafs fans don't need to try. It just comes naturally.

(Sorry you lobbed that one right over the plate)

Reactions: Skipee

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ya, I wasn't referring to vets. With Zetterberg gone we're pretty much a ****-sandwich vets wise. :laugh:

Personally, I'd take Larkin over JVR. Closest thing we have to a Kadri comparable though is Mantha. (Who does have comparable production at the same age, but different position)

And ya, we won't talk about defense either. :laugh: But Cholowski does look really, really good.

Point is, say Detroit added their Auston Matthews in Jack Hughes. They're then looking at a top 6 of:

Zadina - Hughes - Rasmussen
Mantha - Larkin - ***

Could be a lot of options for that last guy, but that's not a bad looking prospective top 6.

Ok maybe it's on me for miss understanding what you were saying then. I thought you were saying that by adding a first OA Detroit would turn itself around quickly and go back to making the playoffs which I disagreed with. If you meant that adding a game breaking to the future core makes it look good then sure I will give you that. However the depth and defense and goalie situations ensures they have at least 3 years more of this IMO.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ok maybe it's on me for miss understanding what you were saying then. I thought you were saying that by adding a first OA Detroit would turn itself around quickly and go back to making the playoffs which I disagreed with. If you meant that adding a game breaking to the future core makes it look good then sure I will give you that. However the depth and defense and goalie situations ensures they have at least 3 years more of this IMO.

Hypothetically, say Cholowski turns into a 2-3 guy and Trouba wants to come home in 2020, which is no guarantee but is a very real possibility, do they really look that bad then?

You'd obviously be hanging your hat on maybes, but I think the team has the potentially to turn things around faster than most think.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I mean, what bad decisions has he made in the last two years?

That doesn't erase 10 straight years of utterly boneheaded decisions (or non-decisions). Holland is the one that put us where we are at.

Brendan Smith trade got us Berggren+. Tatar trade got us Veleno + NYI's 2nd+. (Probably between 35-42) 2018 draft was ridiculous. Larkin was signed to a good deal.

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the Smith trade, especially considering that Vanek only netted a third rounder; Brendan Smith was worth maybe a round above Kindl. The Tatar trade, meanwhile, is straight out of the X-Files and I continue to maintain it never actually happened and was a glitch in the system.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017

If they sell any worthwhile assets they DO have then they might as well relegate themselves to the AHL. I know the Oilers have been bad for the past decade+ but this Wings team looks awfulllll.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Looks like another L for the Wings.

Edit: They took the lead, but anything can happen.

They made sure to give Florida a point with a flukey goal. They didnt lose but they gave up a point to another likely non playoff team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad