Red Wings Lose Six Straight Games to Open Season for the First Time in Franchise History

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
That reeeeaaaalllly doesn't matter as much as you might think.

It matters a lot more than you seem to think.

Also, any Wings fan banking on drafting Hughes is... silly, at best; it's called a "draft lottery" for a reason.

You can't pin your hopes on a chance, you have to plan for the averages. That's what the Wings are doing, and it's going to hurt for a while. Us Wings fans are going to have to suck it up or jump ship (which I fully expect quite a few to do).

Reactions: Fearnot

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Not that the Wings are going to be a bubble team this year, but everyone does realize that its only 6 games into the season and none of our injured players are out long term right?

Remember a couple of years back when Montreal won the stanley cup in October, only to have Price get injured and then not make the playoffs? This season is just like that so far, but in reverse.

I for one will not hit the panic button until ~20 games in. Besides, no matter how bad things get - at least we don't have to endure being Rangers fans, the poor bastards.

I like your logic, legit optimism there

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

Also, any Wings fan banking on drafting Hughes is... silly, at best; it's called a "draft lottery" for a reason.

You can't pin your hopes on a chance, you have to plan for the averages. That's what the Wings are doing, and it's going to hurt for a while. Us Wings fans are going to have to suck it up or jump ship (which I fully expect quite a few to do).

Kakko isn't bad either

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

honestly for me(and I suspect a bunch of other people born in the late 80s-early 90s or so) it's hurt for more than half a decade at this point

this is actually a refreshing change of pace,the Wings haven't been good enough to win anything in a long time now but at least now they're finally bad enough to have a real chance at some elite talent

i'll take bottoming out over purgatory any day

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Wings been a successful franchise my entire life till the last few years and now we have hit bottom. It's been a fun ride.

So far Larkin, Cholowski, Hronek and Bertuzzi have been fun to watch this season. Got some good talent cooking in the minors, juniors and overseas.

Time to sit in the fire for a bit.

Reactions: ECBBW

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm still on the fire Blash train. I've seen way less talented team play better systems. Young guys need a system to follow and Blash doesn't have one. They will lose no matter who is at the helm, but you can lose in a dumpster fire or lose competitive games. A sound system that the players buy into can do that for you. The Wings are actually in a pretty good situation if they can land a couple of elite talents. Ideally one at center and one on D. Larkin, Ras, Mantha, AA, Bert, Hronek, Svech (still hopeful), Veleno, Berggen, Cholo, McIssac, Zadina are all solid young players, they just aren't probably elite talent. Give them a star to play around though and drive the play, and I think they have the building blocks of a team with a lot of size and speed that will be hard to play against.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
honestly for me(and I suspect a bunch of other people born in the late 80s-early 90s or so) it's hurt for more than half a decade at this point

this is actually a refreshing change of pace,the Wings haven't been good enough to win anything in a long time now but at least now they're finally bad enough to have a real chance at some elite talent

i'll take bottoming out over purgatory any day

Watching your team "lose" for 1/8 of your life instead of 1/4 makes a huge difference.

Perception is a hell of a drug.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Red Wings have the worst future in the league bar none right now. Not even a first overall would save them , theyd need a lot more after that
Zadina, Veleno, Cholowski, and Larkin are good pieces. Berggren and Hronek have high upside. It's not all doom and gloom. Obviously a Hughes, Kakko, or Cozens would help tremendously, but the rebuild is really only two years in. We haven't got that lottery luck yet.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Ottawa has Chabot and Tkachuk who are superior to anyone in Detroits organization

Ottawa has an owner that refuses to pay the best defender in the league and traded away their lottery pick for Matt "Stop kicking me in the balls" Duchene.

Detroit's current young group + Lottery pick + Ownership that actually wants to be competitive > Ottawa's current young group + No lottery pick + Ownership that has proven they don't care.

Last edited:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I find it hard to believe even the 70s-80s Dead Wings (from basically 1967-1986) never did this.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I find it hard to believe even the 70s-80s Dead Wings (from basically 1967-1986) never did this.

well to be fair overtime in the regular season didn't exist until 1983(and the shootout even later so even then if nobody scored in overtime it would have been a tie)

this streak to open the season wouldn't have even reached one game before 1983(and even after maybe since overtime wasn't 3 on 3 back then either)

and even assuming they still would have gotten scored on during a non 3 on 3 overtime in that first game this streak would have ended at 2 under the rules of 1983-2004 since the shootout didn't exist and it would have just ended in a tie

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Decades of dominance and 4 Cups, so it is weird to see the Red Wings fall off a cliff like this.

It had to happen at some point. I've never seen a team in my lifetime transition from one elite core to another elite core without a futility period like the wings did from the early 90s up until a few years ago.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It had to happen at some point. I've never seen a team in my lifetime transition from one elite core to another elite core without a futility period like the wings did from the early 90s up until a few years ago.

Those Datsyuk and Zetterberg picks plus Lidstrom's longevity made it happen.

Crazy to think he was still a top defensemen in the league 13-14 years after winning his first Cup.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Meh, everyone knew we'd be bad. Hronek and Cholowski look better than expected, so that's a positive. I still like our prospect system and think we're 2-3 years away from being pretty good again.

A top 2 pick this season would be beautiful though.

Reactions: newfy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
To me the organization is completely depleted. Far from the best shape imo.

Outside of Larkin and Mantha and maybe Hronek I am not seeing too much core type talent. Zadina could get there. They definitely need to draft a couple cornerstones though. Jack Hughes would change things completely.
Cholo and Zadina are way closer to core players than Hronek is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->