Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Perfect world we would have Kane back and additional 2nd line scoring along with better defense. Holl and Copp should absolutely be buy out candidates.

Also think the Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat line could end up being one of the best in the league.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Perfect world we would have Kane back and additional 2nd line scoring along with better defense. Holl and Copp should absolutely be buy out candidates.

Whats an actual Copp buy out look like? 6 years on the books? Much rather just let Perron, Sprong, Ghost, Reimer walk and that's 12ish million freed up plus additional rising cap space. Also Vrana off the books frees up 2.5, 2.7? Suffer with Copp for a couple more years as #3 C.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Whats an actual Copp buy out look like? 6 years on the books? Much rather just let Perron, Sprong, Ghost, Reimer walk and that's 12ish million freed up plus additional rising cap space. Also Vrana off the books frees up 2.5, 2.7? Suffer with Copp for a couple more years as #3 C.
Ghost will finish top 15 in defensive scoring with 56 points. Would really like him back but he’s gonna be looking for a raise.

the rest I agree with.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wonder how much we did save on Seider caphit, by using Gostisbehere as 1st PP quarterback?

Ghost did score 29 points on the PP with 3min role, and was used more with 1st unit.

Seider did score 17 points on the PP with 2min role, and was used more with 2nd unit.

You swap the roles and I think Seider could have produced that ~12 points more like Ghost.

So Seider has now two equal 42-point seasons in-a-row. How much more would have it been producing 54 points on your contract year..?

That's difference of 0.51 points per game vs. 0.68 points per game.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Ghost will finish top 15 in defensive scoring with 56 points. Would really like him back but he’s gonna be looking for a raise.

the rest I agree with.

Ghost has a spot to come back if we shuffle some of the other guys out IMO. He scares the life out of me in a close game in his own end but he can make some plays on the back end that no one else can (yet).

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
We got to get rid of Copp and Holl. I would like Ghost and Kane to return I doubt it though. Doubt Perron will be back too.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We need a legit #1 goalie with Lyon as #2

We need x2 new top 4 dmen with SE as one of them

We need another proven top 6 forward

We need to pckg some picks/prospects to dump deadweight, Holl,Matta, Husso,Fabbri, to free up cap space and roster spots to take the next step

We need to see one of Danielson, Mazur or Kasper on the opening night lineup

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think it saved us much of anything. Everyone knows how important Seider is to the wings, everyone knows how hard his deployment was, and his agents will (should) be able to pull the metrics to back up the argument even better than we can.

Maybe Yzerman will convince Seider to bridge it this contract, but the kid can demand a serious pay day and he'll have earned it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why do you think it is too much? Nearly ppg coming off a hip surgery nobody has made it back with. He looked really good.

I don't think it's crazy high. I keep penciling in 2x$5m, but $6m doesn't seem crazy. If he really wants it, I'd bet he could get it somewhere if not here.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I don't think it's crazy high. I keep penciling in 2x$5m, but $6m doesn't seem crazy. If he really wants it, I'd bet he could get it somewhere if not here.

He would definitely get 6 if he wants it. It just doesn't make sense. @Zetterberg4Captain says in one post we need another top 6 forward, but doesn't want to pay Kane (still top line IMO) $6m? Those 2 statements are against each other.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He would definitely get 6 if he wants it. It just doesn't make sense. @Zetterberg4Captain says in one post we need another top 6 forward, but doesn't want to pay Kane (still top line IMO) $6m? Those 2 statements are against each other.

Yeah, I'd probably pay Kane $6m if that's what it took. Put him on the second line with Compher and Danielson and call it a day.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd rather keep Copp than re-sign Kane. We don't have the necessary 2nd line center/LW combo to carry Kane at even strength.

Buying out Copp and re-signing Kane makes the Wings worse.

Edit to add a comparison, Buying out Copp and re-signing Kane would be like buying out Chiarot and re-signing Ghost, which would similarly make this a worse team.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoMakc

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Ahhh..

I'd bring Kane back after we added someone younger( ie a guy like marschieault(sp)) and had created enough roster room and cap space..

I think that Kane was great but he hasent earned a raise in my opinion... 2 years @3.75 to 4m is where he should come in

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
My preference is to let Ghost walk, keep Holl as the 7D for one more year and then consider a buyout, and buyout Petry (screws over Montreal and Pittsburgh a little, too). The problem is that's two-thirds of the right side that then needs to be filled somehow and I don't think anyone is expecting Tuomisto to be stepping in next year, if at all. I still think it's imperative to find a decent partner for Ed, so Ghost is probably still gone since he'll cost too much. Maybe Petry wouldn't stink up the third pair too much?

I don't think Copp goes anywhere unless Danielson is somehow in the lineup next year and is a revelation.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Idk if one will be available but a true starting goalie turns our 8 game skid to 4 games and we're talking about how we match up against the Rangers. I like Lyon, he just shouldn't be a starter.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I agree, the next step (bubble year 2) is to get some more youth in the lineup

It won't be a playoff or bust year either, but they should get there.
Next year should absolutely be playoff or bust considering we missed by 1 point.

I’m worried though on how we’re gonna replace Kane’s offense if he walks. He was a PPG player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad