Salary Cap: Red Wings 2016-17 Cap discussion

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
A guy who wants to be an NHL starter, not someone in their prime riding the bench.
There is a nuance. Fleury has a partial NMC so he would have to be protected in expansion draft. That means Murray would be exposed and he would be taken for sure because there is no-one better on Pens. Pittsburgh would be better off trading Murray then losing him for nothing. I'd gamble on it if I was Fleury.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
There is a nuance. Fleury has a partial NMC so he would have to be protected in expansion draft. That means Murray would be exposed and he would be taken for sure because there is no-one better on Pens. Pittsburgh would be better off trading Murray then losing him for nothing. I'd gamble on it if I was Fleury.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't Fleury only have a partial NMC? Meaning he could submit a list of teams he didn't want to be traded to. So it's not impossible that he gets traded. Regardless, with Fleury's name out there Jimmy's value goes down the drain.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
If I'm not mistaken doesn't Fleury only have a partial NMC? Meaning he could submit a list of teams he didn't want to be traded to. So it's not impossible that he gets traded. Regardless, with Fleury's name out there Jimmy's value goes down the drain.

He can block his trade to 10 teams. Do a mental experiment: take 30 NHL teams, cross out those that don't need Fleury, then cross out 10 worst teams. How much is left? I believe it's Dallas or bust for Pens.

I believe Howard's in the business of swapping terrible contracts and doesn't compete with Fleury on the market

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Only Full NMCs have to be protected at expansion draft. Partial NMCs won't have to.

Oct 18, 2006
Quite impressive that such a **** roster can produce that cap hit.

I don't see any feasible way to make that team a serious Cup competitor, sell off and rebuild.
My thoughts too.

Pretty much no A graders remain (With Z and Kronwall's decline) and yet we're right up against the cap. Credit to Holland, that's a mighty fine effort really.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
since players can waive their NMC's for the expansion draft, i don't think the NMC will be as big of a deal that some are making it out to be

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Partial NMCs don't exist. When someone refers to it what is actually being said is the player has a NMC for part of the contract but not the entire time. So basically it's a NMC until a set season when it transfers into either a NTC in some form or no protection at all. This is important to note since any player on a contract like this will need to be protected if the NMC portion of the contract is still in effect.

13Wings40

May 6, 2016
Any news on Howard ?
i can see him going to Buf or Cal for draft picks.
Sign Al Montoya or Anders Lindback as a backup for 1-2 mil ?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Any news on Howard ?
i can see him going to Buf or Cal for draft picks.
Sign Al Montoya or Anders Lindback as a backup for 1-2 mil ?

Holland is saying that he's probably going to hold onto Howard for another season, Cal is looking at either MAF or Bishop and with Lehner in the fold i doubt Buffalo has any interest in Howard. As for Buffalo if we did make a deal with them the only way it makes perfect sense for both would be a Howard for Moulson swap. Howard making $5.3M for 3 more years and Moulson making $5M for 3 more years kind of evens it out.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Holland is saying that he's probably going to hold onto Howard for another season, Cal is looking at either MAF or Bishop and with Lehner in the fold i doubt Buffalo has any interest in Howard. As for Buffalo if we did make a deal with them the only way it makes perfect sense for both would be a Howard for Moulson swap. Howard making $5.3M for 3 more years and Moulson making $5M for 3 more years kind of evens it out.

I'd much rather have a 1B making ~$5M than a forward going the way of Dan Cleary for $5M.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Meaning that Holland isn't going to move Mantha, Athanasiou or Svechnikov just to move Datsyuk's contract. Isn't going to happen.

He's stated such multiple times. I don't see why his thought process has changed in the last seven days. He's certainly not going to move those players without knowing what Stamkos decides to do.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
He's stated such multiple times. I don't see why his thought process has changed in the last seven days. He's certainly not going to move those players without knowing what Stamkos decides to do.

Exactly and we wont know what Stamkos decides to do at least until July 1st once the interview process is over and he knows what teams are offering him like Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo the Rangers or Islanders. So i doubt that Datsyuk's contract gets moved any time soon if at all.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Exactly and we wont know what Stamkos decides to do at least until July 1st once the interview process is over and he knows what teams are offering him like Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo the Rangers or Islanders. So i doubt that Datsyuk's contract gets moved any time soon if at all.

If i'm a team that Detroit is targeting to unload Datsyuk's contract and see they are talking to Stamkos during the interview period, i don't budge one bit from my initial asking price.

You either don't get 7.5 million in cap space to get you to the floor or you get a quality asset and 7.5 million in dead cap space to get you to the floor. That's a gamble well worth making.

The closer you get to July 1st, the more pressure it puts on Detroit.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So which of those 3 teams buckles first and takes our offer? That's what I like about having 3 possibilities. Now they have to decide how greedy they want to be. Too much greed and you could wind up getting nothing at all whereas if you are less greedy you could get a free early-ish round pick out of it for nothing.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
So which of those 3 teams buckles first and takes our offer? That's what I like about having 3 possibilities. Now they have to decide how greedy they want to be. Too much greed and you could wind up getting nothing at all whereas if you are less greedy you could get a free early-ish round pick out of it for nothing.

Thing is, The wings do this for stamkos (or the other decent FAs that are available), How much patience does he have if he tests the market... these teams don't have to reach the cap floor until september if im not mistaken.. I doubt holland can wait that long either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad