Post-Game Talk: Red Wings - 14 Penguins - 64

turd

Feb 1, 2013
If this team fails in the playoffs this year, they will be a huge shakeup. No way they continue with the same core.

It's the first year of an entirely new regime with a team that's had like a 50% turnover from last year. There is no way there's going to be a huge shakeup.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Lovejoy and Cole are both better at most things than Bortuzzo, but it was insulting by Rutherford to dismiss both Bortuzzo and Despres as nothing more than fighters.

After the Lapierre trade, Rutherford also dismissed Despres as physical by not listing him among the physical players on the Pens team.

He was not one of their guys. They honestly did not give a **** what he did on the ice beyond getting himself enough value to get someone like Lovejoy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Lovejoy and Cole are both better at most things than Bortuzzo, but it was insulting by Rutherford to dismiss both Bortuzzo and Despres as nothing more than fighters.

After the Lapierre trade, Rutherford also dismissed Despres as physical by not listing him among the physical players on the Pens team.

He was not one of their guys. They honestly did not give a **** what he did on the ice beyond getting himself enough value to get someone like Lovejoy.

Exactly. This off-ice mystery **** is all conjured up PR bull. They wanted rid of Despres for whatever reason, and instead of stepping up and accepting responsibility for making an idiotic trade, they fabricated some story about Despres being an off-ice disaster.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll keep saying it until it happens; Sutter and Kunitz need to go. It's not a matter of me disliking them as players, this team needs to be rid of them. They're terrible by themselves, and they make those around them worse.

This summer is gonna be huge for this team. We're either going to do the work to become a legitimate Cup contender/favorite again, or we're going to make it blatantly clear that we're completely fine with being a terrible hockey team buoyed by two future Hall of Famers who mask all of the other issues.

Well you could just, you know, play Kunitz in the bottom 6.
I'd prefer they move away from Sutter and Scuderi though. Sutter is easily replaced by Sundqvist, Spaling, Winnik or an upgrade. Scuds is easily replaced by Cole, Harrington or Dumoulin next year.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Well you could just, you know, play Kunitz in the bottom 6.
I'd prefer they move away from Sutter and Scuderi though. Sutter is easily replaced by Spaling or Winnik or an upgrade. Scuds is easily replaced by Cole, Harrington or Dumoulin next year.

There's no way in the world Kunitz gets demoted to the bottom six. This team took 60 games of terrible, ineffective hockey to bench Adams.

And what does Kunitz in the bottom six do? Kunitz-Sutter on the third line is a recipe for utter disaster, and Kunitz playing on the 4th line is just out of the realm of realistic possibility.

Scuderi's another guy I want shipped out, but as bad as he is, I don't think he's nearly as much of a detriment to this team as Sutter and Kunitz are, and have been for several seasons.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I still fail to see what Lovejoy is actually "good" at. Am I missing something?

I'll give it through the rest of the year before I go with any "I told you so"s, but:

1) I said when the trade was made I wasn't going to judge Lovejoy on his time with Anaheim, but the rest of this season. If he's really improved, then let's see it. I've yet to see it.

2) Despres has been pretty good with Anaheim. When I say pretty good, I don't mean he's lighting the world on fire, but he's been a good defender. He's been consistent. He's been responsible. He's been physical. He goes into the corners and gets the puck. He supports his partner. He gets back when he has to get back.

Part of that is, as Cole says, the Ducks run a much different defensive scheme (in all 3 zones) than the Penguins. Part of it is because Simon Despres is a good player and this notion that he was struggling in Pittsburgh is manufactured ********.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
+ Thanks to Wes McCauley and co. I was able to turn off the game early and walk the dog in the beautiful sunshine.

+ Not seeing the second BS 10 on Downie, or Horny getting hurt.......that really would have had my blood pressure skyrocketing.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
He might like young players but maybe those two just weren't his idea of what he wants to ice. I've said this and will continue. Nobody was more responsible for trading Despres & Bortuzzo then Mike Johnston. If he liked them as players, they would still be here.

More and more I Think MJ has ZERO say in regards to trades like these....

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Exactly. This off-ice mystery **** is all conjured up PR bull. They wanted rid of Despres for whatever reason, and instead of stepping up and accepting responsibility for making an idiotic trade, they fabricated some story about Despres being an off-ice disaster.

I told you guys that they didn't like some off ice stuff a couple years ago. I was told you couldn't post it because of site rules, but it isn't anything major......let's just say they didn't like the fact that he did something that most of us do.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'll give it through the rest of the year before I go with any "I told you so"s, but:

1) I said when the trade was made I wasn't going to judge Lovejoy on his time with Anaheim, but the rest of this season. If he's really improved, then let's see it. I've yet to see it.

2) Despres has been pretty good with Anaheim. When I say pretty good, I don't mean he's lighting the world on fire, but he's been a good defender. He's been consistent. He's been responsible. He's been physical. He goes into the corners and gets the puck. He supports his partner. He gets back when he has to get back.

Part of that is, as Cole says, the Ducks run a much different defensive scheme (in all 3 zones) than the Penguins. Part of it is because Simon Despres is a good player and this notion that he was struggling in Pittsburgh is manufactured ********.

THing is, I feel that he was doing that regularly with US as well. Unless of course I'm completely delusional lol. This is why I said that I don't believe that Despres being shipped off had much to do with his on-ice capabilities but rather had more to do with something going on off the ice.

No matter which way the Pens try to spin it, it was terrible trade overall. The only way I see it making SOME sense is if Despres manages to grab a rather high contract renewal out of the Ducks, which wouldn't have been feasible within our cap restrictions. But even that is stretching it as I don't see this guy asking for anything more than a reaosnable bridge deal at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad