Prospect Info: Red Wings #1 prospect

Who is #1 prospect

• Total voters

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Lordy, the romanticizing in this thread.

I have Seider at 1 - because I think he's going to be a big-minute, all-around RD.
I'm not sure about our 6'0 and 5'11 wingers just yet.
Unless they're Kucherov/Kane level, it's hard for me to put them up against a 25-minute a night D.
And there's no way I'm putting these kids in that pantheon at the moment.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That hard shot is only thing Seider is missing. But in nowadays hockey, defenceman point-shots have lowest percentage to go in. Smart defencemen doesn't have to use them, you can be a threat in many other ways. Skate for a better spot, on the medium-sector, "buy" the better percentages and shoot with a wrister. Smarter hockey. Seider-hockey.

Defencemen point-shots will always need a good screener be to be synchronized with those shots, like Holmström was. Otherways those are useless. It's complicated to understand, but the shooting ability or power is not really a thing, imo, more of shot timing is the real skill. And that will need hockey IQ Seider's brains are full of.

And if you go to ask from a goalie, they all say weak shots are the worst for a goalie. They hate them, because they make them uncomfortable. They hate the "falling leafs" coming slow. Goalies prefer hard and linear shots, which are easier to see (if not screened) and against whom they have the endless routines.

As a smart guy, Seider can develop a "slow shot", always just thrown weak behind a screen (John Klingberg does these a lot) or offered for tip-ins. That's exactly how he scored his lonely goal in SHL last week.

Hard blasts pretty much belong in old NHL. They are just "ooh" -factor, for entertainment. And it's fun, and give some extra feeling, when a big bang goes in. People believe those are the tough shots to be catched, but they aren't any more effective than weak non-linear shots. Both have to be completed behind a screen, and that screen and screen/shot timing is the thing, not the shot. Defenceman has to have the eye for the shot timing.
Look, I love Seider. But his shot is definitely a weakness currently.

A hard slapshot is not "old NHL". It's more important to have an accurate shot that can get through traffic, but regardless it's a useful tool in a player's arsenal and the lack of it is probably the biggest reason he's not currently a shoe-in for a top Powerplay assignment.
He still has plenty of tools that work great on the powerplay, but as it stands he's not a major threat for a shot like Hronek is for example. He needs to work on it. Even if he keeps using the wristshot 70-80% of the time, having the additional threat of a slapshot will only make him better.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I absolutely love Raymond. I think he is the better prospect at the time of the draft relative to Zadina and Seider. You just can't argue with how Seider played in the AHL as a D+1 and what he is doing in the SHL Raymond has some high potential but still a lot to prove if he can bring a high end game to the NHL, Seider is already lock for the top 4D and also has #1 D potential written all over him.

Seider is one of the top prospects in the entire NHL right now. Can Raymond become the best, sure. But at this moment its Seider.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
with raymonds lukewarm start to the season and seider looking like the best D in the entire SHL... its gotta be seider

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Went with Seider the kid is already a monster, He's going to be a big minute muncher top pairing RD that should be capable of putting up at least 30 to 40 points per season if not more The kid is going to be a stud can't wait until he makes his Wings debut rather it be sometime this coming season or the 2021/2022 NHL season.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Went with Seider the kid is already a monster, He's going to be a big minute muncher top pairing RD that should be capable of putting up at least 30 to 40 points per season if not more The kid is going to be a stud can't wait until he makes his Wings debut rather it be sometime this coming season or the 2021/2022 NHL season.
Exactly. I'm willing to move that projection as a likelihood at this point, with his ceiling being a top 10 D in his prime. His play thus far in the SHL is nothing less than dominant.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Look, I love Seider. But his shot is definitely a weakness currently.

A hard slapshot is not "old NHL". It's more important to have an accurate shot that can get through traffic, but regardless it's a useful tool in a player's arsenal and the lack of it is probably the biggest reason he's not currently a shoe-in for a top Powerplay assignment.
He still has plenty of tools that work great on the powerplay, but as it stands he's not a major threat for a shot like Hronek is for example. He needs to work on it. Even if he keeps using the wristshot 70-80% of the time, having the additional threat of a slapshot will only make him better.
Datsyuk wasn't complete player until his fight With Perry.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Voted for Velano. Just wanted him to get a vote. I would probably vote for Seider right now. I’m starting to “really like our team”

Reactions: r0bert8841

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I can see this team compete for the cup in 3 years. Seider , Reymond and Larkin, going to be for team like #5,40,13 before

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Is this a joke?
Datsyuk was a complete player whose coach treated him like a one-dimensional player.
I think Babcock's eyes were opened by Datsyuk's 2006 Olympic performance.
It is sarcasm. It's all about Seider not good at something. Time will come and he will learn.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

Basically Colton Parayko. Sign me up for that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I would say he is closer to a Drew Doughty than most of the comparables.

If you think Seider plays like Drew Doughty then I would say that you have seen neither player actually play.
Same goes for the Colton Parayko comparisons. Seider is a far better passer, skater and hitter than Parayko while already being at least as good defensively.

Reactions: RedHawkDown
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I can see this team compete for the cup in 3 years. Seider , Reymond and Larkin, going to be for team like #5,40,13 before

Cup? I can see them being a playoff bubble team in 3 years, and wouldn't be shocked if we do make the playoffs in 22-23, but we have a lot of work to do to be mentioned as Cup contenders. There is no guarantee at all that all these nice prospects will even reach their NHL potential. IF (and this is a big IF) they all do reach their potential, then maybe in 5 years time we will be competing for the Cup, but hoping we are contenders in 3 years is just going to set you up to be disappointed.

2020-2021: Basement dwellers again, much improvement from last year and the team will be competitive, but there isn't enough here to escape the bottom 5 teams.

2021-2022: I think the team makes huge strides next season with an influx of rookies making the team full time from the start of the season. They will be fun to watch, and a competitive young team who will keep afloat, but ultimately won't be good enough to reach the playoffs.

2022-2023: Playoff Bubble team if all goes well. May get in, may not.

2023-2024: Playoff team, should be ready to make it by 23-24, but don't see us as true contenders yet.

2024-2025: Massive improvements, hopefully go on a run and make a bit of noise.

2025-2026: Cup Contenders.

This in my mind is also BEST CASE scenario, if all goes well I think this trajectory is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00