Red Line Draft Summary: Bruins dominate

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Guess this was a shot at my comment. I was making a point that I'm an avid whl fan. I don't need to just watch debrusk when he comes to Kelowna. I've watched him live four times this year. September in Prince George, October in Kelowna and again in Regina and finally in November in Calgary. I also have watched games on tv...Will admit I don't recall seeing swift current on tv. People calling me out for having a negative opinion of the picks are just trying to defend the picks and that's fine, but making me out to be a liar is hilarious. I have no reason to lie to internet fans. I'm very opinionated and that bothers most, but at least I back up what I say and can say with certainty that I have probably watched more junior games than everyone on this board in my 40 years and have been very successful at what I have done in my previous career of analyzing these kids skills and more importantly their hockey iq and how well it will translate to the big leagues. I have friends in nhl organizations and always say what I hear. Even when it never materializes I say it because it's interesting. I don't lay little hints or little puzzles for people to figure out so that nobody can call me out as a liar later. I say what I know and it turns out sometimes that information may have been fabricated by someone else in the organization or league or simply never materialized. Call me a liar though, it doesn't offend me. I could care less what people think about me on here.

Redhead, what is your report on DeBrusk for the games you saw?

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Guess this was a shot at my comment. I was making a point that I'm an avid whl fan. I don't need to just watch debrusk when he comes to Kelowna. I've watched him live four times this year. September in Prince George, October in Kelowna and again in Regina and finally in November in Calgary. I also have watched games on tv...Will admit I don't recall seeing swift current on tv. People calling me out for having a negative opinion of the picks are just trying to defend the picks and that's fine, but making me out to be a liar is hilarious. I have no reason to lie to internet fans. I'm very opinionated and that bothers most, but at least I back up what I say and can say with certainty that I have probably watched more junior games than everyone on this board in my 40 years and have been very successful at what I have done in my previous career of analyzing these kids skills and more importantly their hockey iq and how well it will translate to the big leagues. I have friends in nhl organizations and always say what I hear. Even when it never materializes I say it because it's interesting. I don't lay little hints or little puzzles for people to figure out so that nobody can call me out as a liar later. I say what I know and it turns out sometimes that information may have been fabricated by someone else in the organization or league or simply never materialized. Call me a liar though, it doesn't offend me. I could care less what people think about me on here.

Maybe for some, but I wanted him when the Bruins only had one pick in the first round. I've seen him many times and this might come as a shock but there might be people on this board that are also connected to the WHL and watch a lot of games and have for a lot of years.

The goals that DeBrusk scores and watching him play, I have never come away thinking he's lacking in the IQ part.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Don't want to side track this thread but not sure what more Bergeron can do to make the HHOF, WJHC, World Hockey Championship (only player to ever win WHC prior to winning the WJHC) 2X Olympic gold medals, 2X Selke trophies, and a Stanly Cup. Aside from giving birth to a top pairing, right handed shot DMan, I think he is a lock but that is just me.

3x Selke trophy winner actually.

More to come likely.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think we passed on Barzal and Conner mostly because they were centers.

It's clear that we want to win with Krejci and Bergeron. Drafting those guys won't help us cuz they wouldn't be that effective in the bottom six. We simply took our favorite wingers on the draft board.

I don't get this line of thinking. Dan mentioned it to me at Dcamp too. That Heinen and Donato kept them from drafting Barzal.

I'd rather see them draft the best player available and then trade from strength if they get a log jam down the road. I also believe that most "centers" can play wing. Heinen for example can play both and played his off-wing at Dcamp.

If the B's passed on Barzal because they believed the 3 guys they got will be better pro's then I can live with that and hope they're right. (I don't get too caught up in second guessing picks when there are so many variables involved in drafting 18 year olds.) But to not take an 80 point player because you believe a 60 point player will be an easier fit into your lineup 4 or 5 years from now seems silly to me. What if DK or PB get hurt? What if Spooner "doesn't want to be here" when his contract is up?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Maybe for some, but I wanted him when the Bruins only had one pick in the first round. I've seen him many times and this might come as a shock but there might be people on this board that are also connected to the WHL and watch a lot of games and have for a lot of years.

The goals that DeBrusk scores and watching him play, I have never come away thinking he's lacking in the IQ part.

If the Bruins only had the one 1st round pick, you wanted it to be DeBrusk?!

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I don't get this line of thinking. Dan mentioned it to me at Dcamp too. That Heinen and Donato kept them from drafting Barzal.

I'd rather see them draft the best player available and then trade from strength if they get a log jam down the road. I also believe that most "centers" can play wing. Heinen for example can play both and played his off-wing at Dcamp.

If the B's passed on Barzal because they believed the 3 guys they got will be better pro's then I can live with that and hope they're right. (I don't get too caught up in second guessing picks when there are so many variables involved in drafting 18 year olds.) But to not take an 80 point player because you believe a 60 point player will be an easier fit into your lineup 4 or 5 years from now seems silly to me. What if DK or PB get hurt? What if Spooner "doesn't want to be here" when his contract is up?

I'll admit that I've never seen Heinen or Donato play as I'm sure most people here haven't but do people think there is a chance of either of these 2 players comparing to Barzal?

People were pissed when the Bruins took Donato in the 2nd round but NYI was excited as hell to get Barzal at #16.

I don't mind the draft but if I could change one thing, I would have taken Zboril 13th, Senyshyn 14th, and Barzal 15th. I'm hoping Debrusk proves me wrong.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'll admit that I've never seen Heinen or Donato play as I'm sure most people here haven't but do people think there is a chance of either of these 2 players comparing to Barzal?

People were pissed when the Bruins took Donato in the 2nd round but NYI was excited as hell to get Barzal at #16.

I don't mind the draft but if I could change one thing, I would have taken Zboril 13th, Senyshyn 14th, and Barzal 15th. I'm hoping Debrusk proves me wrong.

Agreed on your last point.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Yah that was my take that they want to get not only wingers but specific types (go to net and can finish) and I'd go 99% that Sweeney and Hockey Ops sees 37 & 46 as their first two line centers next 3 + years.

I kind of agree on

13 Zboril
14 Senyshyn
15 Barzal

That is what I'd do tonight but I understand their thinking and I understand they have put hundreds of hours into process

JFK was also a very high pick and the Flyers official team site raved and had him going 31 so I'm not that upset now. I admit I expected Barzal to be called at 14 or 15 and was not happy and stunned.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Yah that was my take that they want to get not only wingers but specific types (go to net and can finish) and I'd go 99% that Sweeney and Hockey Ops sees 37 & 46 as their first two line centers next 3 + years.

I kind of agree on

13 Zboril
14 Senyshyn
15 Barzal

That is what I'd do tonight but I understand their thinking and I understand they have put hundreds of hours into process

JFK was also a very high pick and the Flyers official team site raved and had him going 31 so I'm not that upset now. I admit I expected Barzal to be called at 14 or 15 and was not happy and stunned.

But then who is it afterwards? Most of these guys won't be core lineup players for at least 3 years anyways. As the other poster said, the only acceptable reason for passing on a guy, especially that high, is that you expect your choice to be a better NHL player, period. Drafting for need when that need will probably change 5 times before these kids are NHL ready doesn't make any sense. I don't have a problem with the picks but the notion of passing on a guy you think is a better player because of his position is organizational suicide.

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
IF the reason they passed on Barzal was because of his position this would be foolish considering there is 11/12 years between Barzal and Krejci and Bergeron......you can't get tunnel vision on your roster needs for the next year or two.....this is the time to draft your next potential number 1 center so that they have several years to develop and then get NHL experience before taking over that kind of role......

Now that may not be the reason they passed on him......in fact I doubt it......but i would disagree with any fan that feels we should be leaving a high pick center on the board right now because we don't need one......

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

That is pretty interesting, sounds like a good approach. What do you think, what have you heard about Barzal? I am no scout but I seen him play live once last winter and was very impressed. I was disappointed when the B's didn't draft him when they had 3 opportunities to do so.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I kind of agree on

13 Zboril
14 Senyshyn
15 Barzal

I like those three choices. I think Zboril made imminent sense, in light of Hamilton development. Senyshyn too, given all the positive stuff we've read.

I wouldn't have cared a lick about going off board for Senyshyn if they had used one of those three for Barzal. Him over DeBrusk makes much more sense to me. Nothing against DeBrusk, I just think Barzal has more upside as a top line center a little down the road.

As others posted, Bergy and Krejci may be our #1 and #2 at C, but they're not getting any younger and both have a history of injury.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Hasn't Barzal had some injuries? It doesn't look like he has played a full junior season yet. Though his pts in the games he has played is impressive.
Seeing as our starting Centers are ~30, lets hope we can develop some by the time they are 35

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What's with the big shock on passing on Barzal?

He's slight of frame and been injured his first two seasons. Would I have taken him? Sure. But it's not rocket science to see why they didn't.

Also, Malkoc has a huge voice at that table. He chose DeBrusk over Barzal. I wouldn't doubt he wanted Barzal at 15, but I'm sure he would have taken Barzal over DeBrusk had he felt he wasn't injury prone and or too small.

And having guys like Spooner, Koko, Donato and Heinen in the pipeline SHOULD be a deciding factor when splitting hairs on who to take. The Bruins didn't have any wingers with size and goal scoring ability.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hypothetical question: What if, instead of one of the two Forwards (take your pick), Sweeney chose Cape Breton LW Evgeny Svechnikov?
As an ex-Marine in the 1980s, I despise Russians more than most (and absolutely hated the Koko-ahead-of-Saad pick), but this kid is bigger than either DeBrusk or Senyshyn, is nearly as fast as Senyshyn, and has just as good a pair of hands as DeBrusk.

Said it 2 months ago here that Svechnikov was a beast.He gonna be another Malkin maybe.Potential all there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad