Red Line Draft Summary: Bruins dominate

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Red Line Draft summary came today and the Bruins crushed it. Of course this is all speculative but considering the Draft Night laughing stock comments a rival GM told to Puck Daddy- and the over reactive slanderous inaccurate barbs thrown to Sweeney and Neely I GUESS it's better to be thought of having a good draft than a bad one.

Not really surprised because ISS, FC, and other draft publications pretty much liked many of the players Boston got so I expected this.

HF Boards draft review writer gave the Bruins the worst draft spot the day after but with all due respect to HF I'm going to assume maybe he was feeling a little 'sheepish' and got caught up in the 'laughing stock stuff'.

The Top Performers at the draft table per RL

1. Boston
2. Winnipeg
3. Toronto
4. Columbus
5. Philly
6. Arizona
7. NY Islanders

Red Line on Boston: Give them a solid A. The Bs were clear cut draft day champions- this draft was about both quality and quantity.....

on Senyshyn who showed some of the skills at DC "Red Lines first round darkhorse (nice call boys you certainly loved this kid)- one of best two way forwards of all prospects"

Sweeney has
1. on the face of it a solid draft
2. got out of Chiarelli cap hell
3. acquired a future first round draft pick that looks like could be top 15

he who laughs last laughs best is what I am expecting....I just hope Sweeney is humble about all this in the end because he is going to be looking very, very, very x's infinity good

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Sweeney set out to restock the Bruins prospect pool and did an exceptional job. Drafting off the board is not something new. Some will still argue that Barzal and Conner should have been taken or that Sweeney could have traded down to grab Senyshyn a little later. Once you get out of top ten or are not picking in the top 10, a GM should listen to his scouts.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Sweeney set out to restock the Bruins prospect pool and did an exceptional job. Drafting off the board is not something new. Some will still argue that Barzal and Conner should have been taken or that Sweeney could have traded down to grab Senyshyn a little later. Once you get out of top ten or are not picking in the top 10, a GM should listen to his scouts.

I was blown away (and at first mad) but scouts know a hell of a lot more than the regular posters on this board... I only know what I know because of rankings, as do most people on this site. If someone took Weber/Bergy/Suter/etc. in the 1st round in 2003, people would be laughing at them. Not anymore. Hopefully it'll be the same with Senyshyn and DeBrusk.

I really wanted Barzal, I think he's a phenomenal talent... But I'm really excited about Zboril and Senyshyn, and it'll be fun to watch them develop. Lots of our picks in the later rounds were excellent, too. Our prospect pool added some significant talent. It hasn't had this much for a very long time and I'm happy with it.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
This should go on the main board so that all the HF posters—and there were many—who took enormous pleasure in ridiculing Boston (and Sweeney in particular) re the draft get a bit of a reality check. But, then again, they'd probably use the thread as yet another opportunity to mock all things Bruins.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Barzal.

Barzal. Barzal. Barzal.

...Barzal...Barzal...

Sorry, had to go back to draft day around here for a sec, there...

I have never seen this place hysterically over-react like the day of this years draft.

I was almost worried about people jumping off bridges.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This should go on the main board so that all the HF posters—and there were many—who took enormous pleasure in ridiculing Boston (and Sweeney in particular) re the draft get a bit of a reality check. But, then again, they'd probably use the thread as yet another opportunity to mock all things Bruins.

100%:handclap: Haters are gonna hate but Sweeny has taken more than his fair share this off season. **** 'em all . Let them laugh, as the OP SAID he who laughs last laughs best.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Some will still argue that Barzal and Conner should have been taken or that Sweeney could have traded down to grab Senyshyn a little later.

Word is that at least a couple of GMs that drafted after the Bruins in the first round were going to take Senyshyn and were pretty disappointed the Bruins got him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Drafting relies alot on luck and natural development. We all know stories where kids dont keep in shape or get messed up on drugs or family problems... injuries

So many 18 year olds have raw tools but the kids off ice qualities are always important too.

Boston has clearly been drafting for character over skill for many years now. It works less than 50% of the time BUT ALL DRAFT STRATEGY WORKS LESS THAN 50% OF TIME.

A kid like martin samuelsson impresses me because he was a potential number 1 overall that got hurt... but then he refuses to keep himself in shape.

A guy like brad marchand seems undersized and i expect nothing from him when hes drafted.

Even 2 years after the draft i get upset if kyle wanvig or cameron mann are let go. Itso difficult to get excited about these kids

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm curious if we rated #1 due to # of first round picks rather than who was actually drafted. As in, we added a few young potential studs vs other teams who only had one top 15 pick.

Still think we could have done 'better' with two of those three picks but saying they were 'bad' picks seems inaccurate now.

Word is that at least a couple of GMs that drafted after the Bruins in the first round were going to take Senyshyn and were pretty disappointed the Bruins got him.

Irrelevant, however. Who cares who they wanted at 23/24/etc? We were picking ten spots ahead.

If it comes down to Barzal/etc vs. Senyshyn at 20, for example, I don't think many teams go the route the Bruins went.

Maybe he works out as well as some here are hoping. He does sound like a potential steal -- but this defense of the selections (oh, a team 10 spots later and closer to his projected spot wanted him too) -- is very weak.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Im not sure i have heard this much support for a draft choice as barzal gets since we idiotically passed on angela esposito. That draft choice is still killing the franchise.

Of course my own all time favorite is when the team idiotically passed on jeff woywitka. I still pull my hair out at what could have been with woywitka paired up with chara... feeding passes to that power forward studd kyle wanvig and that speedster winger cameron mann.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i like almost every guy they drafted. my issue was them reaching for the 2 forwards in the 1st, but not a huge deal. i still think philly had the best day, especially nabbing provorov AND konecny. think that's gonna be their version of 2003, with 2 home run picks in the 1st.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm curious if we rated #1 due to # of first round picks rather than who was actually drafted. As in, we added a few young potential studs vs other teams who only had one top 15 pick.

Still think we could have done 'better' with two of those three picks but saying they were 'bad' picks seems inaccurate now.

Irrelevant, however. Who cares who they wanted at 23/24/etc? We were picking ten spots ahead.

If it comes down to Barzal/etc vs. Senyshyn at 20, for example, I don't think many teams go the route the Bruins went.

Maybe he works out as well as some here are hoping. He does sound like a potential steal -- but this defense of the selections (oh, a team 10 spots later and closer to his projected spot wanted him too) -- is very weak.

The point you are making is why tyler johnson goes undrafted... why sergei federov falls... why we got bergeron late.

Alot of teams pass and miss because they want to take the 'safe choice'

Of course most safe choices miss... barzal will probably miss... but taking the 'safe choice' will protect these teams from this sort of critism.

Honestly im glad this gm has some guts. He hasnt proven he has as many brains as our last gm , but he sure has deminstrated alot of guts.

(Of course mike milbury had guys without brains... that would not be good for us)

Sweeny shook things up... shakeups are ok when necessary but good teams win with stability. Sweenys next job will be to prove he can devolop some of thes picksand give them a stable environment they can succeed in

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Definitely hopeful more than I was based on RLR, Dom etc.

I figure it's really up to these kids and the Bs development team. Only time will tell.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
The Red Line Draft summary came today and the Bruins crushed it. Of course this is all speculative but considering the Draft Night laughing stock comments a rival GM told to Puck Daddy- and the over reactive slanderous inaccurate barbs thrown to Sweeney and Neely I GUESS it's better to be thought of having a good draft than a bad one.

Not really surprised because ISS, FC, and other draft publications pretty much liked many of the players Boston got so I expected this.

HF Boards draft review writer gave the Bruins the worst draft spot the day after but with all due respect to HF I'm going to assume maybe he was feeling a little 'sheepish' and got caught up in the 'laughing stock stuff'.

The Top Performers at the draft table per RL

1. Boston
2. Winnipeg
3. Toronto
4. Columbus
5. Philly
6. Arizona
7. NY Islanders

Red Line on Boston: Give them a solid A. The Bs were clear cut draft day champions- this draft was about both quality and quantity.....

on Senyshyn who showed some of the skills at DC "Red Lines first round darkhorse (nice call boys you certainly loved this kid)- one of best two way forwards of all prospects"

Sweeney has
1. on the face of it a solid draft
2. got out of Chiarelli cap hell
3. acquired a future first round draft pick that looks like could be top 15

he who laughs last laughs best is what I am expecting....I just hope Sweeney is humble about all this in the end because he is going to be looking very, very, very x's infinity good

Props to you my friend you where on this train from the get go

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
A major lack of impactful players on ELC's killed the Bruins for a few years. Sweeney has even stated it. I think he has changed that for the next few years

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The point you are making is why tyler johnson goes undrafted... why sergei federov falls... why we got bergeron late.

Alot of teams pass and miss because they want to take the 'safe choice'

Of course most safe choices miss... barzal will probably miss... but taking the 'safe choice' will protect these teams from this sort of critism.

Honestly im glad this gm has some guts. He hasnt proven he has as many brains as our last gm , but he sure has deminstrated alot of guts.

(Of course mike milbury had guys without brains... that would not be good for us)

Sweeny shook things up... shakeups are ok when necessary but good teams win with stability. Sweenys next job will be to prove he can devolop some of thes picksand give them a stable environment they can succeed in

Definitely a nice change to leave behind the evaluate everything stage we were at recently. Hopefully Sweeney doesn't over-do it, but that Lucic trade fixed a lot of the immediate doubt I had for Sweeney. It was perhaps the best trade possible in that situation. Hopefully he nails the two forward picks he made. I like the defensemen he drafted, no debate from me there.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
A major lack of impactful players on ELC's killed the Bruins for a few years. Sweeney has even stated it. I think he has changed that for the next few years

Eh, we've had our share of cheap contracts this organization just chose to give the savings from them to Stone Hands KElly and Colin Campbells son who at this point in his career is worse than 90% of the ECHL but just got a fresh 2 year 1 way deal gotta love hockey/NHL politics.

(Bruins haven't drafted a local kid without a famous hockey dad have they? NOPE all of our local draft picks over the last decade have been kids of employees or former Bruins ALL of them.)

Thats bs really saying we have no good players on cheap contracts assuming you count Soderberg/Krug last year as ELC.

Soderberg's contract was such a steal for a 50 point center in his prime that over the last 2 seasons you aren't going to find a better player at that cap hit anywhere it was as big a steal as Peverley's old deal.

Krug and Hamilton put up LOADS of points on our blueline on the cheap.

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Well said :nod:

Once the Bruins missed the playoffs and then ford Choarelli the main board were looking for any reason to jump all over Boston and Sweeney. Some can't fathom the thought process of picking off the board of the so-called experts.

They would still find excuses rant about Conner and Barzal. Another smallsh pass first center is not what the Bruins need in the future. A big kid, for his age, who can skate and shoot right-handed is what Sweeney wanted so he took one.

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
I think we passed on Barzal and Conner mostly because they were centers.

It's clear that we want to win with Krejci and Bergeron. Drafting those guys won't help us cuz they wouldn't be that effective in the bottom six. We simply took our favorite wingers on the draft board.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
These guys (Bruins & Redline) know more than me, but I would have been more comfortable with Barzal as one of those 3 first rounders.

He is that sublime possession talent that can hold onto the puck, and I figured he would be the perfect guy to eventually take over from Krejci.

I also think Winnipeg had the best draft, but I also believe the Bruins have restocked the shelf.

We'll know more in 3 years I guess

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
Thanks for the Red line report

I'm with Keith Gretzky and his crew they did well last year as well with Pastrnak, Donato and Heinen.
This year they loaded up prospect pool is brimming with talent.

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Drafting relies alot on luck and natural development. We all know stories where kids dont keep in shape or get messed up on drugs or family problems... injuries

So many 18 year olds have raw tools but the kids off ice qualities are always important too.

Boston has clearly been drafting for character over skill for many years now. It works less than 50% of the time BUT ALL DRAFT STRATEGY WORKS LESS THAN 50% OF TIME.

A kid like martin samuelsson impresses me because he was a potential number 1 overall that got hurt... but then he refuses to keep himself in shape.

A guy like brad marchand seems undersized and i expect nothing from him when hes drafted.

Even 2 years after the draft i get upset if kyle wanvig or cameron mann are let go. Itso difficult to get excited about these kids

About the way I see it as well. Tough counting chickens in July. I remember accolades for Zach Hamill and Jordan Caron in these camps years past. Let's just give it time.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
I think we passed on Barzal and Conner mostly because they were centers.

It's clear that we want to win with Krejci and Bergeron. Drafting those guys won't help us cuz they wouldn't be that effective in the bottom six. We simply took our favorite wingers on the draft board.

Was thinking same. Barzal may be a stud on the island in a couple years but likely would not be here being stuck behind 3+ good centers on our depth chart. Don't know how that would affect his mind set and development. What impact would 2 -3 years with Cassidy do to him? Difficult to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00