Red Line Draft Summary: Bruins dominate

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
He's an opportunistic goal scorer but there are nights where you don't notice him out there much at all. I have questions about him being able to think the game at a high level at the next level in order to be a top scoring winger. I have 0 questions about his hands though :) There is lots to like about him but he needs work.

Interesting ... pretty much all the scouting reports I've read on him praise his hockey IQ. Is there something in particular that gives you pause? I watched a highlight film of all 42 of his goals last night. Certainly has great hands and that instinctual ability to find holes and the back of the net, however I did come away thinking that he didn't look all that "dynamic", a huge share were from the dirty areas, tips etc which is awesome, but he definitely didn't have that offensive "wow" factor that makes you jump out of your seat.

That said ... goals is goals :nod:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I think we passed on Barzal and Conner mostly because they were centers.

It's clear that we want to win with Krejci and Bergeron. Drafting those guys won't help us cuz they wouldn't be that effective in the bottom six. We simply took our favorite wingers on the draft board.

They will be 35 years old when we can start to contend. You don't win with that. This "core" they keep bringing up is past its prime and must be moved.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
They will be 35 years old when we can start to contend. You don't win with that. This "core" they keep bringing up is past its prime and must be moved.

This team will be contending in 2 to 3 years. If they're not contending in 6 years and our 'core' is washed up by 34-35 then they have much bigger problems to worry about.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Before we got these 3 consecutives 1st and those extras two 2nd, I wanted the Bruins to draft a top scoring winger and a D with #14 and #37.

With 6 picks in the first 52 of what is said to be a very deep draft, they got 3D, 2 scoring wingers and one C that said he model his play from Bergeron.

Didn't know too much about these 6 guys besides Zboril who was a target I would have liked with #14 before all the trades.

They said this draft was as deep than 2003. In 03, these guys were picked in the spots the Bruins drafted:

13-Dustin Brown
14-Brent Seabrook
15-Robert Nilsson
37-Kevin Klein
45-Patrice Bergeron
52-Corey Crawford

Let's hope Zboril, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Carlo, JFK and Lauzon can have the same impact for us than these 03 draftees have had for the past 12 years for their teams. That would go a long way making the Bruins a power house again in the very near futur.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
The the scouting brass sees something that allow them to project differently then I hope it turns out for us because there will be some real questions asked of them if DeBrusk doesn't turn out and Barzal does.

That goes without saying with any draft pick. Chiarelli will be dogged the rest of his career in regards to the Hamill pick.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
i like almost every guy they drafted. my issue was them reaching for the 2 forwards in the 1st, but not a huge deal. i still think philly had the best day, especially nabbing provorov AND konecny. think that's gonna be their version of 2003, with 2 home run picks in the 1st.

Kase in the 5th is potentially one of the best value picks as well. Even smaller than Konecny but just as fast.

I admittedly wanted Connor and would have been fine with either one of the two wingers in addition to COnnor, Zboril (who I don't love but seems like a no brainer there for a team that needs top d-men)...once I read about Senshyn's relatively limited ice time I was fine with the pick. The only thing missing from Shenshyn being top 20 was production and that can be explained in context...skill seems good, size is potentially ideal with great speed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Before we got these 3 consecutives 1st and those extras two 2nd, I wanted the Bruins to draft a top scoring winger and a D with #14 and #37.

With 6 picks in the first 52 of what is said to be a very deep draft, they got 3D, 2 scoring wingers and one C that said he model his play from Bergeron.

Didn't know too much about these 6 guys besides Zboril who was a target I would have liked with #14 before all the trades.

They said this draft was as deep than 2003. In 03, these guys were picked in the spots the Bruins drafted:

13-Dustin Brown
14-Brent Seabrook
15-Robert Nilsson
37-Kevin Klein
45-Patrice Bergeron
52-Corey Crawford

Let's hope Zboril, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Carlo, JFK and Lauzon can have the same impact for us than these 03 draftees have had for the past 12 years for their teams. That would go a long way making the Bruins a power house again in the very near futur.

I would hope we do better than 2003. Some good players but no Hall of Famers although if Crawford wins another Cup maybe

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I would hope we do better than 2003. Some good players but no Hall of Famers although if Crawford wins another Cup maybe

I don't know if any of the Bruins picks from this year will end up HOFers. Who knows though? Senyshyn could take off and put it all together with more minutes this year and become a premier power winger. Zboril with another year in NA may progress further than hoped and start looking more like a top-10 #1 guy. Carlo could suddenly find an offensive game under a bigger role making him an all around monster in every zone (scary thought). Vladar could develop into an elite goalie and go on to dominate. Plenty of what ifs but I'm not overly confident in any of those happening.

I would however bet that at the minimum, 4 of the Bruins top 8 picks go on to have real good NHL careers. And it wouldn't shock me if that number climbed to 5-7. They had a real good eye on talent and identifying Bruins traits in players built for the new NHL. A lot to like going forward.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Don't want to side track this thread but not sure what more Bergeron can do to make the HHOF, WJHC, World Hockey Championship (only player to ever win WHC prior to winning the WJHC) 2X Olympic gold medals, 2X Selke trophies, and a Stanly Cup. Aside from giving birth to a top pairing, right handed shot DMan, I think he is a lock but that is just me.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Don't want to side track this thread but not sure what more Bergeron can do to make the HHOF, WJHC, World Hockey Championship (only player to ever win WHC prior to winning the WJHC) 2X Olympic gold medals, 2X Selke trophies, and a Stanly Cup. Aside from giving birth to a top pairing, right handed shot DMan, I think he is a lock but that is just me.

I think he was talking about doing better than those picks listed from '03.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland

If he gives birth to a right hand shot top pairing D-man most of the posters would complain that the child will take too long to develop and it would count against his HOF chances :naughty:

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
it's early but i'm still pleased.

it'll take time, it's a waiting game, now but i am hoping these kids took whitesides seriously the last couple weeks and can taste their dreams that much more. very close now to realizing them.

i don't expect another Pasta breaking the roster, can't do that to oneself but eager for the real training camp to see how they all do against the big boys.

hungry for this season. nom-noms.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Cmon :laugh::laugh::laugh: you can't honestly mention Crawford and the HOF in the same sentence can you? He could win another 3 and people would just chalk it up to being on a good team and somehow getting away with wearing illegally large pads.

You really think he has a shot simply because of the Cups?

I know hockey isn't baseball and it isn't as hard to make the HOF but still!?!?!? (I say Lundquist might be the only active goalie who is a lock to get in next closest active guy with enough tenure to get in if they retire soon could be Luongo I think Carey Price projects but has some ways to go and a bad exit from MOntreal and quiet end to his career would likely keep him out.) I might be wrong and using baseball grading though don't pay as much attention to the hockey HOF since everyone deserving gets in and there is no debate.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Are you saying that list of 6 players is weak, or is there a missing :sarcasm: in there? Because I'll admit - I'm a fairly myopic hockey fan who probably needs to learn more about the other 29 teams. But even I knew five out of those six by team and position - and the sixth I Googled and isn't in the NHL currently.

If our 6 picks this draft end up as the equivalent of a third line winger, two top 4 defensemen, an elite two-way top-six Selke-eating center, and a top 5ish starting goalie, with just one guy who's still not in the league 12 years from now....with at least two captains/future captains for leadership thrown in there....I don't think I'll be crying.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
it's early but i'm still pleased.

it'll take time, it's a waiting game, now but i am hoping these kids took whitesides seriously the last couple weeks and can taste their dreams that much more. very close now to realizing them.

i don't expect another Pasta breaking the roster, can't do that to oneself but eager for the real training camp to see how they all do against the big boys.

hungry for this season. nom-noms.

The part of your quote, flannelman, that I bolded, is the thought that's gone through my head all along - first when people were tripping over themselves to call the draft (and trades) a "laughingstock" and now that people are pointing out how awesomely fantastic the draft was: it's way too early to declare it either a tremendous success or an abysmal failure.

If these guys turn out to be consistent NHL talents, the draft was a good one. If they're fringe-players or busts, it was not. We won't know one way or the other for a few years. I know DKH referenced "laughing last" in the OP of this thread, but IMHO we are several years from knowing who should be laughing at all.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
it's way too early to declare it either a tremendous success or an abysmal failure.

more than fair. no squabbles here.
very few of us see enough of these kids until they are at least in Providence to really be able to judge but we all (well, maybe not all, but many) seem to latch on and our hopes take over. i'm very much part of that and can't quite help myself.:laugh:

good to see you around these parts. hope all is well.
cheers!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Cmon :laugh::laugh::laugh: you can't honestly mention Crawford and the HOF in the same sentence can you? He could win another 3 and people would just chalk it up to being on a good team and somehow getting away with wearing illegally large pads.

You really think he has a shot simply because of the Cups?

I know hockey isn't baseball and it isn't as hard to make the HOF but still!?!?!? (I say Lundquist might be the only active goalie who is a lock to get in next closest active guy with enough tenure to get in if they retire soon could be Luongo I think Carey Price projects but has some ways to go and a bad exit from MOntreal and quiet end to his career would likely keep him out.) I might be wrong and using baseball grading though don't pay as much attention to the hockey HOF since everyone deserving gets in and there is no debate.

You got me ;)

If the whole bunch produces Bergeron I'm good

Seriously what a bleeping draft 2003 was

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
If he gives birth to a right hand shot top pairing D-man most of the posters would complain that the child will take too long to develop and it would count against his HOF chances :naughty:

And he'd get traded away before puberty.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Hypothetical question: What if, instead of one of the two Forwards (take your pick), Sweeney chose Cape Breton LW Evgeny Svechnikov?
As an ex-Marine in the 1980s, I despise Russians more than most (and absolutely hated the Koko-ahead-of-Saad pick), but this kid is bigger than either DeBrusk or Senyshyn, is nearly as fast as Senyshyn, and has just as good a pair of hands as DeBrusk.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You got me ;)

If the whole bunch produces Bergeron I'm good

Seriously what a bleeping draft 2003 was

Sure was. Even the 9th round of that draft was damn impressive David Jones Halak Brian Elliot MAtt MOulson Tanner Glass all still playing.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Swift Current played Kelowna once in Kelowna this year, in October. Maybe DeBrusk had an off game? :laugh:

Guess this was a shot at my comment. I was making a point that I'm an avid whl fan. I don't need to just watch debrusk when he comes to Kelowna. I've watched him live four times this year. September in Prince George, October in Kelowna and again in Regina and finally in November in Calgary. I also have watched games on tv...Will admit I don't recall seeing swift current on tv. People calling me out for having a negative opinion of the picks are just trying to defend the picks and that's fine, but making me out to be a liar is hilarious. I have no reason to lie to internet fans. I'm very opinionated and that bothers most, but at least I back up what I say and can say with certainty that I have probably watched more junior games than everyone on this board in my 40 years and have been very successful at what I have done in my previous career of analyzing these kids skills and more importantly their hockey iq and how well it will translate to the big leagues. I have friends in nhl organizations and always say what I hear. Even when it never materializes I say it because it's interesting. I don't lay little hints or little puzzles for people to figure out so that nobody can call me out as a liar later. I say what I know and it turns out sometimes that information may have been fabricated by someone else in the organization or league or simply never materialized. Call me a liar though, it doesn't offend me. I could care less what people think about me on here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad