Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
So I will be honest in the fact I am probably too impatient to hunt and go through the necessary steps for perfect pelts. So that being sad, can I just go and buy the satchels to upgrade and carry more stuff. If so, any idea where I can go? I am in chapter 3 and havent been to Saint Denis yet mind you.

I believe the only way to upgrade your satchel for more space is to hunt donate the necessary in camp to pearson and the craft the upgraded satchels from him (you may also need one or two of the camp upgrades first to do it).

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
So I will be honest in the fact I am probably too impatient to hunt and go through the necessary steps for perfect pelts. So that being sad, can I just go and buy the satchels to upgrade and carry more stuff. If so, any idea where I can go? I am in chapter 3 and havent been to Saint Denis yet mind you.

No idea as to your question, but I'm with you in terms of hunting. Love the game but I couldn't give less of a flying f*** about hunting, fishing, or crafting.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I've generally been able to avoid the absolute chaos that snowballs out of something small...but last night I accidentally brushed a guy in Saint Denis and 40 minutes later had a $770 bounty while getting the final guy chasing me to be snapped up by a damn gator.

I will never quite understand how I survived that, especially when I had to revive my Arabian while nearly surrounded. Holy shit. What a rush.

Reactions: CPTN71

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Just started yesterday, game looks great and the story and atmosphere is tremendous.

It's just too bad whoever programmed the controls had a severe learning disability. Really, the GTA games control seamlessly but I've tried a few configurations and it's an absolute mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
No idea as to your question, but I'm with you in terms of hunting. Love the game but I couldn't give less of a flying **** about hunting, fishing, or crafting.

Yeah I’m the same way I love the game but don’t care about hunting or fishing or crafting unless it’s mission specific. If I run across a deer or something I may stop and hunt them occasionally just to have food but overall I just don’t take the time out to do it. That’s why I was hoping just to be able to buy some stuff instead of crafting.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Yeah I’m the same way I love the game but don’t care about hunting or fishing or crafting unless it’s mission specific. If I run across a deer or something I may stop and hunt them occasionally just to have food but overall I just don’t take the time out to do it. That’s why I was hoping just to be able to buy some stuff instead of crafting.
I just don't have the time.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I'm the same way. I hunt for provisions and that's about it.

Fortunately, I haven't really felt a need to upgrade anything. I can focus on quests without a care. Mind you, I've spent a lot of time on poker. :laugh:

To me, that's just good game design. People that love that stuff get it, and the others who don't care don't need to bother, and you never really feel like you NEED to do any of it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm the same way. I hunt for provisions and that's about it.

Fortunately, I haven't really felt a need to upgrade anything. I can focus on quests without a care. Mind you, I've spent a lot of time on poker. :laugh:

To me, that's just good game design. People that love that stuff get it, and the others who don't care don't need to bother, and you never really feel like you NEED to do any of it.

Oh yeah totally agree, I get how it could be addicting to hunt and fish, its like 5 mini games packed into one game. Kinda similar to Witcher but they had less mini-games. I mean I loved Witcher and didnt play Gwent once, and thats all people did sometimes!

Not sure how far you are, but I hear there are some chapters you should stick around for longer if you want to explore and ride for a bit. I am on chapter 3, any idea if thats a good chapter to stay on for a bit, or something more like chapter 4?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I get the controller frustration, I went through it as well, but it will take a minor learning curve which I promise gets better the more you play the game. What I am absolutely HATING is those stupid ass dramatic camera/cutscenes where you have to walk. Like the one you have to go to the doctor, just ****ing take me to the doctor, I don't need to walk to the doctor. Holy **** those are annoying.

I’m almost done with Chapter 3 and the story seems to be picking up. I did some exploring around Strawberry too and that was fun with that mountain.

I’m usually a guy who stops Rockstar games around this point but don’t feel that at all right now.
Chapter V isn't particularly very good at the moment for me, so if there is a time it will probably be around there.

No idea as to your question, but I'm with you in terms of hunting. Love the game but I couldn't give less of a flying **** about hunting, fishing, or crafting.
I didn't give a damn about hunting in the last RDR game and perhaps some people are that way, but the hunting is legitimately fun in this game even if it is just a time waster.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If I happen upon some good hunting opportunities I have started to take them, but I’ve only just now crafted some of the special arrows required to hunt some animals and man, this is a bit of a hassle. Now I gotta go kill random birds to pluck their feathers and then craft more than 1 small arrow.

And you can’t do the crafting from a regular campfire like your camp’s communal one, you can only craft from a temporary one. And you can’t set up a temporary one unless you get sufficiently away from other people.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
If I happen upon some good hunting opportunities I have started to take them, but I’ve only just now crafted some of the special arrows required to hunt some animals and man, this is a bit of a hassle. Now I gotta go kill random birds to pluck their feathers and then craft more than 1 small arrow.

And you can’t do the crafting from a regular campfire like your camp’s communal one, you can only craft from a temporary one. And you can’t set up a temporary one unless you get sufficiently away from other people.

If you switch from campfire on the radial menu you can choose crafting which is a bit quicker.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I didn't give a damn about hunting in the last RDR game and perhaps some people are that way, but the hunting is legitimately fun in this game even if it is just a time waster.

Same on hunting, its actually really fun for me in this game. For people that don't want to hunt you don't need to, i'm almost at the end of the game and haven't really upgraded any satchels.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Oh yeah totally agree, I get how it could be addicting to hunt and fish, its like 5 mini games packed into one game. Kinda similar to Witcher but they had less mini-games. I mean I loved Witcher and didnt play Gwent once, and thats all people did sometimes!

Not sure how far you are, but I hear there are some chapters you should stick around for longer if you want to explore and ride for a bit. I am on chapter 3, any idea if thats a good chapter to stay on for a bit, or something more like chapter 4?

I'm on chapter 6. Without any spoilers, I would say the prime time for exploring and the like is any time in chapters 2-4.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Discovering the fast travel from camp has rocked my world.

Also, I didn't realize at first that you can set your horse on autopilot and go make a coffee or something. I use it all the time in town because otherwise I seem to crash into people. :laugh:

be careful though, there is some funny youtube compilations of horses riding off cliffs and into trees while on "cinematic" mode. Also into to people which can result in bounties etc. You kind of have to be in the room just in case, I believe you can be attacked too while riding in that mode

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
be careful though, there is some funny youtube compilations of horses riding off cliffs and into trees while on "cinematic" mode. Also into to people which can result in bounties etc. You kind of have to be in the room just in case, I believe you can be attacked too while riding in that mode

True, although the computer is still a better driver than me for the most part. :laugh:

I haven't run into too many issues. I think I got shot at once by an ambush, but just kept casually riding through. The only real downside seems to be that you can only travel at cruising speed. If you are in control, you can make a lot better time going full tilt.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
True, although the computer is still a better driver than me for the most part. :laugh:

I haven't run into too many issues. I think I got shot at once by an ambush, but just kept casually riding through. The only real downside seems to be that you can only travel at cruising speed. If you are in control, you can make a lot better time going full tilt.

you can go full tilt mode just get the horse sprinting and enter cinematic mode. Your horse will be absolutely f***ed if you go too far though it still burns his/her stamina and health in that mode

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

you can go full tilt mode just get the horse sprinting and enter cinematic mode. Your horse will be absolutely f***ed if you go too far though it still burns his/her stamina and health in that mode

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
you can go full tilt mode just get the horse sprinting and enter cinematic mode. Your horse will be absolutely ****ed if you go too far though it still burns his/her stamina and health in that mode

Oh really? I've tried that, but he always reverts back to trot mode. On rare occasion he just stops.

Maybe ol' Clip Clop is just a troll. :laugh:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Oh really? I've tried that, but he always reverts back to trot mode. On rare occasion he just stops.

Maybe ol' Clip Clop is just a troll. :laugh:

haha Clip clop must be a troll. I named mine Neighthan only to find out it was a her, when Arthur said "okay girl" I still haven't changed it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
haha Clip clop must be a troll. I named mine Neighthan only to find out it was a her, when Arthur said "okay girl" I still haven't changed it.

My original horse was named Morse. I made a mistake trying to cheekily name him Horse, and just rolled with it. :laugh:

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Just finished the game. Wanted to finish it before online started. After chapter 4, I ignored most of the side stuff. Don't know how much more I'll do. Probably go around travelling for a bit trying to unlock all map areas.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I believe the only way to upgrade your satchel for more space is to hunt donate the necessary in camp to pearson and the craft the upgraded satchels from him (you may also need one or two of the camp upgrades first to do it).

You can buy them at a fence during the Epilogue.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I know when i am driving my horse, i always seem to smack right into a tree causing me to fly off my horse and my horse too fall down as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad