Friedman: Recent offer to Shane Pinto was in the 1 year, $1M range

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The NHL still continues to have a virtue signaling problem. Suspend a guy for gambling on non NHL games when you're constantly promoting betting on the NHL on your TV ads and jerseys. Yeah... What's next. Suspending a guy that uses camouflage style tape on his stick to support the armed services?

That's gotta be at least 25 games right?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'll never understand the no betting thing. He didn't bet on NHL games, so I am not sure why this matters so much. Especially when one of your own main sponsors is a gambling company.

I like that NHL has allowed and brought in gambling, but this is where it makes no sense. If he is betting on NHL games, then I can understand because he would have inside knowledge with friends on other teams or what-have-you, but if he bet on Fordham basketball, then what are we doing here?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I'll never understand the no betting thing. He didn't bet on NHL games, so I am not sure why this matters so much. Especially when one of your own main sponsors is a gambling company.

I like that NHL has allowed and brought in gambling, but this is where it makes no sense. If he is betting on NHL games, then I can understand because he would have inside knowledge with friends on other teams or what-have-you, but if he bet on Fordham basketball, then what are we doing here?
That’s what I don’t get either?

Is this like the NHL not allowing players to do recreational drugs because of its addicting nature, similar to gambling?

If so, then why are you shoving gambling ads down our throats 24/7?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The NHL still continues to have a virtue signaling problem. Suspend a guy for gambling on non NHL games when you're constantly promoting betting on the NHL on your TV ads and jerseys. Yeah... What's next. Suspending a guy that uses camouflage style tape on his stick to support the armed services?

You mean rainbow tape.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Goes to show how little we actually know on the other side.

All speculation and "insider reports" were that neither camp was happy, that they couldn't agree on terms, that Pinto wanted a trade, that OTT didn't sign him because they filled their cap, etc.

While some of those aspects may contribute to the overall state of him being contactless, nobody had it pegged that he was currently under investigation and that the Senators were respecting his privacy during the process, and that he wants to be with the team still
Dont think anyone ever reported he wanted a trade

Reactions: Altimus

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005

They are perceived to have more info than the average Joe's and it could influence bets and probably results. If Crosby place a 1M bet on a certain game, it will greatly influence bets and if he wins, people will question wether or not he had priviledge info.

You can be sure some are still doing it, but online and under a different name.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

It’s absolutely ridiculous. Endorsing compulsive gambling by throwing ads every f***ing stoppage and commercial. It’s bush league stuff by a league that is desperately finding ways to appeal to its “broader” audiences.

I know kids 18-19 (gambling in Canada is 18-19) from my co workers kids as well as family who have lost hundreds of their hard earned money working minimum wage jobs due to these betting sites. It’s harmful to the young and impressionable who aren’t yet fully matured enough to make rational decisions when it comes to money.

So they’re perfectly comfortable investing and making BILLIONS of dollars in gambling yet will suspend its own players for betting OTHER sports other than their own. It’s virtue signalling at its peak.

This is Bettman’s NHL folks.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They are perceived to have more info than the average Joe's and it could influence bets and probably results. If Crosby place a 1M bet on a certain game, it will greatly influence bets and if he wins, people will question wether or not he had priviledge info.

You can be sure some are still doing it, but online and under a different name.
Without knowing what he bet on, why would Shane Pinto have inside knowledge on horse racing, for example?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You mean rainbow tape.
any tape for any cause is what I mean.

The NHL applies their virtue signalizing in some stupid ways. It makes me mad and this seems like some BS that Pinto is facing. I don't see the foul or the harm or the damage to the league... other than many us saying.. WFT is the suspension.

Last edited:

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Turns out Ottawa doesn't have to pay to dump anyone.

We can sign Pinto to a very cheap 1 year deal and then to a long term extension in Jan that makes up for the loss this year. There's no concern on his side of getting a career ending injury between those deals, since he can't play until at least Jan 21 anyways now.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Formenton - Pinto - Batherson still has the potential to be a great line for Ottawa.

The Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre, that is.

dang-shades-up.gif

• Love
Reactions: McJedi

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Without knowing what he bet on, why would Shane Pinto have inside knowledge on horse racing, for example?
Someone brought up over in the NHL sections thread the the NHL statement was very clear/specific that he did not bet on games ... but they made no mention of prop/side bets that he may have placed ... and he 'would' have inside info on.

If that is the case, the 41 games makes sense as he would have bet on hockey in that case

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Was this a gambling in team facilities issue?
Other leagues have rules that you 1) cant bet on your league and 2) cant bet within team facilities.
41 games is pretty stiff if it is just about #2

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The NHL still continues to have a virtue signaling problem.
Nothing to do with "virtue signaling". Leagues make too much money from gambling to let their players act in a way that might be seen by gamblers and gambling companies to compromise the integrity of the sport. It's a hard nosed business decision all about protecting their income stream.

Reactions: AslanRH

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
How can they even pull that with a straight face when they've been collecting every gambling sponsor they possibly can?

Sounds like drug dealers preaching about sobriety.

Reactions: Jojalu

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Not sure of the NHL’s policy but the NFL has suspended players for 6 weeks, which is basically a third of the season, for betting on other sports but doing so on Team Facility Property. So I guess they track their IP address and maybe even do GPS tracking data if they’re using cellphone data.

As for his situation?? He’s gonna have to just bear down and train best he can without game action. Not sure what type of facilities he has available, or due to the suspension, if any college team for example, would even let him practice with their team. Pretty sure he can’t do anything with any affiliate league either. So he’s probably going to be on his own for the next 3 months. Then he’ll likely now take that $1 million, finish the season out, and start this all over again next summer.

The question is gonna be, where the Senators stand now. Knowing the Pinto saga is nowhere near done yet. Maybe they will just send him packing after the suspension or after the season. Guess we’ll find out.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
How are you so dumb, that you bet on games as a pro like Pinto here. I don't give a shit that he bet on stuff, he knows what will happen if caught, yet he does it. Zero sense of self-preservation.

Reactions: 1989

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad