MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1696100881273.png

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

They have looked at moving another contract to create cap room, and seem confident they will be able to do so once they come to terms with Pinto.

Pinto is believed to be seeking a salary in the $2.5M range. He could, in theory, ask for a trade, but those same sources were adamant that has not happened, that he prefers to stay and the Senators have made it very clear they want to keep him. They see Pinto’s potential.

The key thing to remember is one phone call could change things. But the stalemate has lasted all summer, the season starts in 10 days and everyone’s clearly frustrated.

Reactions: Seanaconda

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
He's going to keep improving big time, I think. Hopefully Sens get this taken care of.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
At this point if I was him I would bite the bullet and take their crap deal. I would then never surrender a single dime in negotiations and file for arbitration every year until I walked to UFA unless they drove a dump truck full of money to my house sooner.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
At this point if I was him I would bite the bullet and take their crap deal. I would then never surrender a single dime in negotiations and file for arbitration every year until I walked to UFA unless they drove a dump truck full of money to my house sooner.
This would be a great outcome for Ottawa because unless we have an incredible season, the next GM to negotiate with Pinto will likely not be the one who signs him to this contract.

There will be plenty of money for Pinto next offseason and I suspect we will try to get him signed to a long, fair deal like we have the rest of our young core.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans and bert

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I don't think he has arbitration rights next summer if he signs a 1 year deal. His 2021-22 season with 5 games played cost him an accrued season for arbitration.

Reactions: Sideline

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It would fit the Sens plans to make the Labanc/M. Pettersson deal. 1 year for cheap with the promise of a multi-year deal next summer.

Obviously, looks like Pinto wants more right now from the looks of things, but maybe he'll come around. Tough to say no when the rest of the team is set for a big season and you just want to get going.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It would fit the Sens plans to make the Labanc/M. Pettersson deal. 1 year for cheap with the promise of a multi-year deal next summer.

Obviously, looks like Pinto wants more right now from the looks of things, but maybe he'll come around. Tough to say no when the rest of the team is set for a big season and you just want to get going.
This is the flip side of the uncertainty re: Dorion... it would suck to make a handshake deal like this only for the GM to get fired and the new guy veto it. It would need to go through Staios in order for the Pinto camp to be satisfied.

Reactions: Seanaconda

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
How good is this guy anyway? How does he project?
He's big and strong with a very good shot. Smart & hard-working. Decent vision & passing but will never be his bread and butter. Very strong in the face-off dot. Not super physical but that might come as he gets distance from his shoulder injuries... doesn't shy away from contact, though.

Was unanimously named NCHC player of the year in his sophomore season (1st time ever) and was forward of the year AND defensive forward of the year. He projects to be a very good defensive C at the NHL level. Scored 20 goals as a rookie. Has a long-term future on both special teams. He is also a bit more raw than your typical high draft pick as he only made the switch to hockey in his mid-teens (was in house league and mainly played baseball in at least his first year of high school).

There is some debate about how good he can/will be, but I think its a very safe bet to say he will be an excellent 3rd line C, a solid chance he will become a good 2nd line C, and some chance he is a passable 1C. Personally, I would guess that he settles somewhere in the 20-30 goal, 45-60 point range, with real shut-down ability.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Well, using Marcus Folignos 4x4 as a comp I’d say Pinto is worth something around 27 million per season with full trade protection. Sens gonna need to fatten the offer up. Billy G has changed the landscape of player value!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad