Rebuild/youth movement

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I mentioned it in another thread... if the Rangers are seriously contemplating bringing back a 38-year-old Prospal, then the depth isn't all that good.

Viper is right, we have too many one-dimensional players on this team who don't really fill appropriate roles. I'm not really sure what Pyatt is doing other than taking penalties right now. There have been plenty of times this season where Zucc, Pouliot, or Pyatt have hurt the team more than they have helped it, whether it be from careless defensive play or momentum-killing penalties.

So far as the young guys... Kreider, Miller, and Fast have shown some promise but they aren't contributing on the scoresheet. I'm glad Fast was sent down because he needs to hone his game a bit. Miller shows some flashes but he could probably use some more time in the AHL as well. Kreider is finally engaged and active, just need to see some goals from him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think this is the correct route. I don't advocate signing 35 year old players, but they need to look at someone like Moulson if he can prove that he doesn't need Tavares to score.

Moulson would be a good idea to look at in the off-season depending on the price.

I mentioned players like Bolland, Downie, McClement, Moulson, Ott as players who should interest the Rangers on top of their own UFA's like Stralman, Girardi, Callahan and Hank. They need more truculence throughout the line-up and players who are legitimately a pain to play against but who can also bring some skill and fill roles.

In a vacuum adding Bolland/Ott and Moulson/Downie would be ideal...

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Moulson-Brassard-Callahan
Hagelin-Ott/Bolland-Fast/Miller/Kristo
______-Lindberg-Dorsett

Boyle, Pyatt, Moore, Asham, Powe gone. It gives the Rangers (3) legitimate lines with skill and even the 4th line has the makings of a line that could play 8~12 minutes a night.

Pipe-dream...

KreiMeARiver*

Tell me, how often have you seen them play?

dude you even said yourself that we have too many one-dimensional players. So these guys change that?

no, they don't. pick an internet fight with someone else.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
dude you even said yourself that we have too many one-dimensional players. So these guys change that?

no, they don't. pick an internet fight with someone else.

What? I was asking you to back up your assessment of the young players who you don't think are any good and I am picking a fight? Right....

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Nucks fan here, just curious to know if a mini-rebuild does happen whether Callahan would be available, and if so what sort of price would you guys be looking for?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So we will be buying out Richards for sure, I think.

Who do we replace him with? I say we go after Moulson (providing he proves himself as I said above) and Brian Gionta (I know, I know, but on a short term deal I think he'd be a good fit).

Re-sign Brassard, obviously.

2014 Rangers offense in my dream world:

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Moulson - Brassard - Gionta
Hagelin - Miller - Callahan
Fast - Lindberg - Dorsett

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nucks fan here, just curious to know if a mini-rebuild does happen whether Callahan would be available, and if so what sort of price would you guys be looking for?

It's possible. It would be steep. Gaunce/Shinkaruk +

Erat returned Forseberg and Erat is not as good of a player as Callahan.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Miller looked great last night. If he continues his play, I can't see moving him down.

If the choice is 4th line or AHL I choose AHL. That's all. There is a reason he has pretty much exclusively played wing so far in the AHL. His reads and defensive play are not good enough yet.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If the choice is 4th line or AHL I choose AHL. That's all. There is a reason he has pretty much exclusively played wing so far in the AHL. His reads and defensive play are not good enough yet.

I don't see how he gets bumped to the 4th line as he's clearly a better center than Moore (who isn't being bumped to the box). Boyle would be bumped to the 4th line wing, IMHO.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
When everyone is back, what line-up are we looking at?

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brassard-Richards
Pouliot-Boyle-Callahan
_____-Moore-Dorsett

It's a decent line-up but nothing earth shattering.

I'm really not a fan of Kreider and Nash on the same line, but counting on him to be a first line player night after night is a tall order in itself.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I'm willing to take a chance on Yukapov, if available. That's the type of talent they need to take a risk on. Sather doesn't seem to be willing to tank a season to draft that kind of talent.

Trying to get a more established player would cost more.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
But yeah, what does everyone think about Gionta on a short-term deal?

A Moulson - Brassard - Gionta line would be pretty lethal.

Eh, Gionta can't stay healthy and I think he re-ups in Montreal. If they are going after a UFA RW I would go after Downie on a 3-4 year deal. He is a bit crazy but he can put up points and this team needs more crazy.

What do you think of signing one of Bollig/Reaves? The team can't develop anyone like them.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I'm willing to take a chance on Yukapov, if available. That's the type of talent they need to take a risk on. Sather doesn't seem to be willing to tank a season to draft that kind of talent.

Trying to get a more established player would cost more.

I agree YAK keeps popping up in my head for trade possibilities, I think if we do make a move it needs to be a young boom or bust kind of move. We have the D that edm needs and they have the offense we need but if we can pry eberle away I'd prefer that

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I agree YAK keeps popping up in my head for trade possibilities, I think if we do make a move it needs to be a young boom or bust kind of move. We have the D that edm needs and they have the offense we need but if we can pry eberle away I'd prefer that

Why boom or bust? Why can't they deal for someone who is more of a sure thing? They tried that with Zherdev, it back-fired...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Don't like giontas game at this point and moulson will get 5+ mil

Why?

And who cares? If he comes out and proves himself without Tavares, that's "5+mill" well spent.

Eh, Gionta can't stay healthy and I think he re-ups in Montreal. If they are going after a UFA RW I would go after Downie on a 3-4 year deal. He is a bit crazy but he can put up points and this team needs more crazy.

What do you think of signing one of Bollig/Reaves? The team can't develop anyone like them.

I am not sure if he re-ups or not. If he does, it removes a legit scorer we can sign. Gionta has had a couple of big injuries but has largely been pretty healthy. I think he's worth the risk, but it all depends on the price.

Wouldn't mind your suggestions at all, either. I think there is a lot of stuff Sather can do this offseason. A lot of interesting pieces, too.

To me, Moulson has to be our #1 target if he proves himself this year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why?

And who cares? If he comes out and proves himself without Tavares, that's "5+mill" well spent.

I am not sure if he re-ups or not. If he does, it removes a legit scorer we can sign. Gionta has had a couple of big injuries but has largely been pretty healthy. I think he's worth the risk, but it all depends on the price.

Wouldn't mind your suggestions at all, either. I think there is a lot of stuff Sather can do this offseason. A lot of interesting pieces, too.

To me, Moulson has to be our #1 target if he proves himself this year.

I agree on Moulson. The team needs a legit scorer. They have enough grinders and can fill those other holes from within but a net front presence like Moulson is hard to find.

I just hope they get harder to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad