Rebuild/youth movement

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Excuse me? What do you consider a yearly contender? In the last 5 years, how many times were they amongst the 8 last teams standing? A trip to ECF a few years ago. If that is not being a contender, then what is?

Top-4 team in the conference, 100 points, multiple CF appearances, beating elite teams in the postseason. Thats my standard at least.

Since 2006, the Rangers have beaten Atlanta, New Jersey, Washington twice and Ottawa in the postseason.

The Rangers were a contender in 2012. Easily. Last season they had the look of a legit threat and just collapsed against a better team.

Other than that, they've always been a lower seed. I dont know how anybody would consider them a contender.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
W Nash , Callahan, hagelin all yr they are likely 500, not saying they would be great but they would be better than this **** show

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't agree with this, either. I think you just have to be much pickier.

I agree. Part of the reason I like Downie is because he will only be about 27. Very young for a UFA and he brings something the team lacks.

Ott is the same way but he is a bit older.

They need to become more aggressive and harder to play against over a long playoff series.

But in doing that, they have to add guys who can also contribute offensively. Those guys do that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Top-4 team in the conference, 100 points, multiple CF appearances, beating elite teams in the postseason. Thats my standard at least.
Those are fairly lofty standards to just be a contender. Not many teams are contenders over the long haul, then.
Since 2006, the Rangers have beaten Atlanta, New Jersey, Washington twice and Ottawa in the postseason
So what? I did not realize that strength of schedule is now something that is used to figure out who the true contenders are.
The Rangers were a contender in 2012. Easily. Last season they had the look of a legit threat and just collapsed against a better team.
Boston was better than any other team.
Other than that, they've always been a lower seed. I dont know how anybody would consider them a contender.
Because in the real world being one of the last 8 teams standing counts more than being one of the top 8 teams in the regular season.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I agree. Part of the reason I like Downie is because he will only be about 27. Very young for a UFA and he brings something the team lacks.

Ott is the same way but he is a bit older.

They need to become more aggressive and harder to play against over a long playoff series.

But in doing that, they have to add guys who can also contribute offensively. Those guys do that.

Would absolutely LOVE to add Ott to this team. I don't think Buffalo deals him though, and if they do it's only because someone severely overpaid.

I mean, Buffalo can't start 12 rookies every night ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad