Rebuild/youth movement

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Only a few years ago, this was one of the youngest, hardest working teams in the league. And now I see threads of a rebuild & youth movement?

Right?!? I thought it was just me. How do you rebuild with a team that is averaging what? 25-26 years of age? This is the youth we were told to wait for! Here they are. And now we have to hit the reboot button and wait longer. If we're not rebuilt in 11 years...just wait longer.

KreiMeARiver*

So, yeah, The Nash and Gaborik deals are really working out.

hahaha we are so bad....

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I'm not sure if anyone realizes, or if its just me.. But even when healthy we have an extremely weak offense. If we had a legit first line we'd be the team we expected, we have the depth, we just lack a goal scorer on the top 6. To me either trade for a power forward goal scorer, or rebuild and build from the draft again but this time with lottery picks, so we can draft that dominate prospect.

To me I this Hockey team is not that good, they're okay.

KreiMeARiver*

I liked the Gaborik trade not the Nash trade..I think what we gave up for Nash could of got us bobby Ryan instead

I like Nash, but he completely disappeared in the playoffs, and now has a potentially season-ending injury.

It seems like anytime someone gets a concussion now, they are done for a year. The world we live in.

jniklast

Sep 28, 2007
I'm not sure if anyone realizes, or if its just me.. But even when healthy we have an extremely weak offense. If we had a legit first line we'd be the team we expected, we have the depth, we just lack a goal scorer on the top 6. To me either trade for a power forward goal scorer, or rebuild and build from the draft again but this time with lottery picks, so we can draft that dominate prospect.

To me I this Hockey team is not that good, they're okay.

I'd argue that Richards (this season's form) - Stepan - Nash would be a legit first line. The problem is that Stephan seemingly forgot how to play and Nash is injured.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I like Nash, but he completely disappeared in the playoffs, and now has a potentially season-ending injury.

It seems like anytime someone gets a concussion now, they are done for a year. The world we live in.

Different times my friend. You're 100% right guys stay out as long as possible with a head injury and with is in the basement of the league I doubt that's motivation for him to return. I liked his game last year but u can shades of him being the superstar and everyone else sitting back and watching. I think we pulled the trigger too soon and could of had a deal for bobby Ryan instead of Nash. Younger cheaper and as productive as nash

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I'd argue that Richards (this season's form) - Stepan - Nash would be a legit first line. The problem is that Stephan seemingly forgot how to play and Nash is injured.

Stepan is scaring the hell out of me. He looks slow and not into it like last season but then again everyone looks that way. Having Nash Callahan and Hagelin healthy would make this team competitive though

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
That is a decent first line but they still need another consistent goal 30 goal scorer for the top 6. Get that goal scorer it can push players on the second line to the third which gives us great depth.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
That is a decent first line but they still need another consistent goal 30 goal scorer for the top 6. Get that goal scorer it can push players on the second line to the third which gives us great depth.

Callahan gives you around 30 goals what they are lacking is another playmaking forward 50 assist kind of guy

KreiMeARiver*

Callahan gives you around 30 goals what they are lacking is another playmaking forward 50 assist kind of guy

Yeah, cuz there are tons of 2nd line guys with 50 assists out there....

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Yeah, cuz there are tons of 2nd line guys with 50 assists out there....

Did I say a 2nd line 50 assist guy? I said they're lacking one. Stepan belongs on the 2nd line we are lacking a first line 50 assist guy. Better?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The team doesn't need a full blown rebuild. There's already a youth movement going on. The problem is that the expectations for the team don't jive with the way it's configured. It's built like a playoff bubble team, but the idiot in charge thinks it's a cup contender that just needs a few tweaks.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I liked the Gaborik trade not the Nash trade..I think what we gave up for Nash could of got us bobby Ryan instead

I don't know how you can look at one without the other. The Gaborik trade only became necessary after the Nash trade exposed the team's lack of depth.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And where is all the talk of this organization's great depth now?

Well, I think the depth is actually OK. We are missing three top 6 players and playing what amounts to being a 5th line. And we outplayed both Detroit and Montreal with that 5th line getting ice time. Beat Detroit and should have tied Montreal.

I think the depth is actually OK when you look at the young guys we have ready or nearly ready in Fast, Lindberg, and Kristo. Frankly, the top-end bothers me more than the depth. But that may just be me.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Well, I think the depth is actually OK. We are missing three top 6 players and playing what amounts to being a 5th line. And we outplayed both Detroit and Montreal with that 5th line getting ice time. Beat Detroit and should have tied Montreal.

I think the depth is actually OK when you look at the young guys we have ready or nearly ready in Fast, Lindberg, and Kristo. Frankly, the top-end bothers me more than the depth. But that may just be me.

I think depth wise they are fine, but the depth they do have are missing the ability to fill certain roles. Pouliot on the 3rd line? Pyatt on the 3rd line? Zuccarello on the 3rd line? There are just too many 1-dimensional players, that has been, and still is, my major issue with this team.

KreiMeARiver*

And where is all the talk of this organization's great depth now?

We have no depth...at all. The guys in the farm...I'm sorry, but I'm not excited for a single one of them.

Kristo, Lindberg, Fast......yeah big whoop. Brady Skjei and DM...nothing special, whatsoever.

We need to get tougher and bigger. These guys (the forwards) don't bring any of that, nor do I see them becoming real threats in this league, offensively.

We LOVE to overhype these guys because they are ours, and all we have to get excited about.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Right?!? I thought it was just me. How do you rebuild with a team that is averaging what? 25-26 years of age? This is the youth we were told to wait for! Here they are. And now we have to hit the reboot button and wait longer. If we're not rebuilt in 11 years...just wait longer.
Deja vu, my friend. Haven't we seen this before? Should I expect to look on the ice and see Kasperitis play?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
The youth doesnt look that good either. We need a lottery pick or 2.

This
This
This

Elite talent ladies and gentlemen. That is what we lack that almost every other team has. Tavares, Couture, Kopitar, Crosby, Malkin, Thornton. Guys that instantly make anyone they play with better. We have no one like that outside of Mr.Concussion.

Side note and sorry to derail the thread, but I'm really down on Nash's career. Both the Lucic hit and the most recent hit were by no means terrible hits. I don't see Nash having a long career after this point. It's safe to assume at this point that he's extremely concussion prone

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think depth wise they are fine, but the depth they do have are missing the ability to fill certain roles. Pouliot on the 3rd line? Pyatt on the 3rd line? Zuccarello on the 3rd line? There are just too many 1-dimensional players, that has been, and still is, my major issue with this team.
That is a part of the problem. And maybe this is the same thing, but we seem to lack the "right" players. Not the superstars. But the ones who are willing to do with work. It is rather evident why Pouliot is on what, his 5th team in 6 years? And why Pyatt has never amounted to anything. And why people doubt Zuccarello so much.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Well, yeah, but you are not including the injured guys in that statement (which I don't think is fair). One three injured forwards come back, Zucc and Poop are bumped to the 4th line and Pyatt to the box or to the AHL. What team has the depth to truly fill the place of first and second line players with . . . other first and second line players? In a cap world, that's not really all that likely to happen. You need to bump your 4th liners up to the 3rd line. The 3rd liners up to the 2nd line.

But you need to hope that your 4th liners are adequate for the third line. And I think that Zucc and Poop have shown that they are perfectly fine filling in these roles on a limited basis. Poop has played pretty well the last couple of games in particular.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Well, yeah, but you are not including the injured guys in that statement (which I don't think is fair). One three injured forwards come back, Zucc and Poop are bumped to the 4th line and Pyatt to the box or to the AHL. What team has the depth to truly fill the place of first and second line players with . . . other first and second line players? In a cap world, that's not really all that likely to happen. You need to bump your 4th liners up to the 3rd line. The 3rd liners up to the 2nd line.

But you need to hope that your 4th liners are adequate for the third line. And I think that Zucc and Poop have shown that they are perfectly fine filling in these roles on a limited basis. Poop has played pretty well the last couple of games in particular.

When everyone is back, what line-up are we looking at?

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brassard-Richards
Pouliot-Boyle-Callahan
_____-Moore-Dorsett

It's a decent line-up but nothing earth shattering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->