Rebuild/youth movement

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I agree on Moulson. The team needs a legit scorer. They have enough grinders and can fill those other holes from within but a net front presence like Moulson is hard to find.

I just hope they get harder to play against.

They have to. We have a lot of nice pieces to move forward with. Moulson would be huge for this team (again, with the caveat that he proves himself in Buffalo) if he ends up being available.

I still think Gionta is a great short-term solution if we can get him for Ryder money.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Why boom or bust? Why can't they deal for someone who is more of a sure thing? They tried that with Zherdev, it back-fired...

Because we don't draft these types of players , by the time they get to is it costs us a arm and a leg which ends up being a lateral move. If yak becomes what he's supposed to in the next 2 years we wouldn't be able to have the assets to get him. But right now he's affordable with their surplus at fwd. we make the move for yak get a top pick this year and the rebuild is accelerated in my opinion

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They have to. We have a lot of nice pieces to move forward with. Moulson would be huge for this team (again, with the caveat that he proves himself in Buffalo) if he ends up being available.

I still think Gionta is a great short-term solution if we can get him for Ryder money.

I would just prefer someone with a bit more size and I worry about his injuries. Ott, Bolland, Downie are all top-9 forwards who would help. Bollig and Reaves IMO should be a priority as a 4th liner who can drop the gloves and stir the pot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Because we don't draft these types of players , by the time they get to is it costs us a arm and a leg which ends up being a lateral move. If yak becomes what he's supposed to in the next 2 years we wouldn't be able to have the assets to get him. But right now he's affordable with their surplus at fwd. we make the move for yak get a top pick this year and the rebuild is accelerated in my opinion

I'm not really talking about Yakupov, I'm talking about paying a large price for a player with serious question marks in general. If they are are going to move multiple pieces for a player, why not make it a player with less question marks? JVR was dealt for Schenn. That type of deal.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I would just prefer someone with a bit more size and I worry about his injuries. Ott, Bolland, Downie are all top-9 forwards who would help. Bollig and Reaves IMO should be a priority as a 4th liner who can drop the gloves and stir the pot.

I miss the prust Boyle fedotenko line lol

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

My only concern with the Otts, Bollands, and Downies of the world are that we very clearly need scoring and I don't really see where they help with that. I'd prefer to sign two scoring wingers. This past season, we relied on Kreider to step up. He obviously didn't. I think if we, say, only signed Moulson, we'd be banking on Callahan, Fast, or Hagelin to be a true 2nd line player.

Signing Gionta would let us run a 3rd line of Hagelin - Miller - Callahan.

One of the best 3rd lines in the league.

Otherwise we just bump Callahan up to the 2nd line and sign an Ott or a Downie.

I would prefer the scorer since we have had an acute need for scoring for years, now.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I'm not really talking about Yakupov, I'm talking about paying a large price for a player with serious question marks in general. If they are are going to move multiple pieces for a player, why not make it a player with less question marks? JVR was dealt for Schenn. That type of deal.
Yeah and look how that's working out for philly. Is there any JVRs available? I still say the package that got us Nash could of got us bobby Ryan , why didn't we go after loui erikkson or Tyler seguin? All SATHER goes for is the player in the same mold Gaborik Nash Richards are in the same tier in my opinion stars who shine away from the big stage and no consistency

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Next years team has potential to look very different in my opinion with a high draft pick a Richards buy out and if we trade players like pouliot Boyle d Moore pyatt or let them walk. ( I'd keep Boyle on the cheap for the 4th line btw)

Punxrocknyc19*

I'd love Downie and Ott on July 1 but knowing Sather he will sign some 32+ year old vet with injuries.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
My only concern with the Otts, Bollands, and Downies of the world are that we very clearly need scoring and I don't really see where they help with that. I'd prefer to sign two scoring wingers. This past season, we relied on Kreider to step up. He obviously didn't. I think if we, say, only signed Moulson, we'd be banking on Callahan, Fast, or Hagelin to be a true 2nd line player.

Signing Gionta would let us run a 3rd line of Hagelin - Miller - Callahan.

One of the best 3rd lines in the league.

Otherwise we just bump Callahan up to the 2nd line and sign an Ott or a Downie.

I would prefer the scorer since we have had an acute need for scoring for years, now.

They need scoring right now but with Nash, Callahan and Hagelin healthy they would be in much better shape. Adding a true 3rd line center who can create would go a long ways towards upping their offensive output as well and the young players being 1 year older and better will help too.

Interesting. I know some Nucks fans would be open to something like a first and Gaunce/Shroeder/Jensen and a depth player.

It would probably be in the ballpark of what it would take.

Yeah and look how that's working out for philly. Is there any JVRs available? I still say the package that got us Nash could of got us bobby Ryan , why didn't we go after loui erikkson or Tyler seguin? All SATHER goes for is the player in the same mold Gaborik Nash Richards are in the same tier in my opinion stars who shine away from the big stage and no consistency

I didn't say it worked out well for Philly. It worked out well for Toronto though.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
They need scoring right now but with Nash, Callahan and Hagelin healthy they would be in much better shape. Adding a true 3rd line center who can create would go a long ways towards upping their offensive output as well and the young players being 1 year older and better will help too.

It would probably be in the ballpark of what it would take.

I didn't say it worked out well for Philly. It worked out well for Toronto though.

I think we have our 3rd line center in brassard and 2nd in stepan what we lack is a real 1st line center. This year or next the sharks and kings will be forced to part ways with their top centers.
Marleau
Thornton
Kopitar
Richards/carter.
I'm not looking at Thornton as an option due to age but we need to look at a top line center at some point since this team has yet to draft one

Edit: I take that back that contradicted what I'm saying about going after a young top 6 fwd the only player there id want is kopitar

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think we have our 3rd line center in brassard and 2nd in stepan what we lack is a real 1st line center. This year or next the sharks and kings will be forced to part ways with their top centers.
Marleau
Thornton
Kopitar
Richards/carter.
I'm not looking at Thornton as an option due to age but we need to look at a top line center at some point since this team has yet to draft one

Edit: I take that back that contradicted what I'm saying about going after a young top 6 fwd the only player there id want is kopitar

No way Kopitar becomes available.

Stepan is a good #1C, Brassard is a good #2. They need a good #3 especially if they can get Hagelin, Callahan and Nash back while adding someone like Moulson and with the maturation of Kreider that's a pretty solid forward group.

Moulson-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brassard-Callahan
Kreider-Bolland-Fast/Kristo
Miller/Hrivik-Lindberg-Dorsett
Bollig/Reaves

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Next years team has potential to look very different in my opinion with a high draft pick a Richards buy out and if we trade players like pouliot Boyle d Moore pyatt or let them walk. ( I'd keep Boyle on the cheap for the 4th line btw)

Well there is no doubt it will be different. Sather does a makeover every year.

The real questions, is will next year's team be better? That answer is, only if there is a different person at the top doing the talent evaluation.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Rangers should sign Vanek as a free agent in the off-season, and the Islanders should sign Hank. Each team addresses their weakness.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Well there is no doubt it will be different. Sather does a makeover every year.

The real questions, is will next year's team be better? That answer is, only if there is a different person at the top doing the talent evaluation.

I agree but I see a larger than usual turn around over the next year. When a New York team has a bad year it gets blown up. With a Richards buy out nashs health in question I see changes coming to the rangers, the next year will be crucial for the future of this team. Hopefully it starts with a SATHER step down but it wont

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Just a gut feeling. There's no player liker JT here. And this team's pretty poor history with UFAs.

I do worry about that as well. With the way he scores his goals, I don't see him taking a sharp drop in production no matter where he goes. Same with Vanek.

At least until they get much older. Those goals are always available if you are willing to go there.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Rangers should sign Vanek as a free agent in the off-season, and the Islanders should sign Hank. Each team addresses their weakness.

Vanek will be on the wild or the islanders next year and if hank goes to the islanders this board will explode but it's possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->