Movies: Rebel Moon (2023) Zack Snyder space opera on Netflix

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
A self selecting sample has led to a 76%. Critics watch everything - fans watch what they want to watch.
Yes and this is a movie made for the fans, and at the end of the day whether or not it's successful is what those fans think. While there are times these things can intersect just watching the trailer you know it's not going to be something well received by your general movie critic. Taking their response and running with it saying 'bad movie!!!' is completely missing the point.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
A self selecting sample has led to a 76%. Critics watch everything - fans watch what they want to watch.
Yea, which makes more sense to go with audience scores. I want to see what people who watch sci fi movies think of a sci fi movie. Not some random critics who are watching 8,000 movies a year who may not even care about a scifi movie.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Watched it last night.

The first half was great. Yes very Star Wars derivative, but with it's own grittier aesthetic. Very cool fight scenes as always with Zack Snyder. The world building seemed really cool, and the whole Seven Samurai idea was working, IMO.

Until they left the first planet. IMO it was downhill from there. The dialog was cheesy from there on, characters just spitting out exactly their motivations awkwardly. The recruitment scenes all feel very forced, hey look how cool this character, or how broken this character is. The Charlie Hunnam character does everything yet says hardly anything until we get one big scene to establish him for the sole reason of pulling the rug right before final battle predictably. Final battle is largely by the numbers, with some character trimming. The second half just felt super clunky, particularly as the 2nd movie comes out in March/April so they were just trying to set that up more than get a complete movie in this one.

The fight scenes are great throughout, the cinematography is great. Dialogue and acting can be a bit wooden at times. World building is great. It's a little too focused on setting up long term purposes to make a great standalone movie. Overall I'd say it was just ok. I was really really super excited for this one so some of that may just be my huge expectations weren't quite met. I will certainly be checking out part 2 though in the spring.

Anyone else think the Sam character (blond girl who made crown of flowers for the robot, almost gets raped at start of movie) will turn out to be the princess? They deftly avoiding showing how the main character Cora arrived at the farm village, and refused to talk about or show how the monarchs +princess were murdered. As bodyguard to princess clearly Cora knows more than is said in this movie.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Finished watching it over two days. I'd say if you went and saw it in the theatre as is, you'd be disappointed. But as part 1 on a streaming service with part 2 out in a few months, I'd say it's a decent start on character and world building and part 2 will complete the project and determine how good it is.

A quick plot analysis of part 1 can show what the problem is if you look at it as a stand alone movie. Using the Star Wars comparison at the point where Luke & Obi-Wan meet Han and leave Tatooine, here Rebel Moon veers off by saying 'we should recruit some more hero's along the way!'. This means you need to break to have a few establishing recruitment scenes, no time for these characters to do anything else in the movie, and rather than finishing with an epic battle of Endor you get what I would call more a modest skirmish. That's the other thing missing compared to Star Wars, Snyder has the character driven action down of course, but lacking any sort of exciting space battles in this opening.

Another change from Star Wars here that explains some of the decisions is these characters are intended to be the start of the rebellion, rather than Luke joining an already well established force. I don't know but it seemed like there's only been a couple years since the big 'coup' happened.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Watching it with the family right now and eeesh. If this is Snyder's version of Star Wars Im glad they canned it. The Disney trilogy seems like a masterpiece compared to this. The dialogue and writing are so bad. The formation of the group is completely rushed and there's no camaraderie. It's like a 10 episode series they decided to cram into 2 hours, written by AI.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
In your opinion. I don't like everything he has done but he does have some good movies. 300, Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, Legend of the Guardians are all fine movies.
I’m not referring to any movie in particular, just refuting the notion that an audience score is a good indicator of how good a movie is considering there’s many movies that aren’t very good that a lot of people (including myself) still like

Reactions: Osprey

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If this was Snyder's vision of a "Star Wars movie" my god I'm glad it wasn't made [ even though he never even got to pitch it]. Oh, and JJ Abrams is to lens flare as Snyder is to slo-mo. No wonder his films are 3 hours long.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Snyder gonna Snyder

He gets the Michael Bay Unnecessary Explosion of Approval.
Dude I'd take Michael Bay any f***ing day. There's a lot of garbage in Michael Bay's filmography, but you also get some just fun action movies a la Bad Boys, The Rock, Pain and Gain, etc.

Snyder has like... I guess Dawn of the Dead (I don't like it but being as generous as possible)?

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Osprey

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023
I gave up 50 minutes into the film. It was utterly dull. More concerned with back story then telling an actual story.

Every 10 minutes characters gathered around like ...
doug-maclean-story-time.gif

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Heard some god awful things about this movie, but I'll probably still check it out for myself.

I've recently watched two Neil Breen movies, so Rebel Moon will probably feel like Citizen Kane in space in comparison. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00