Confirmed with Link: Reaves+'18 4th to VGK from PIT, for T Lindberg (part of 3-team trade)

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I watched the guy closely in the playoffs for 3 years. The Rangers board didn't name him Brassgod for no good reason. His game hits another level in the postseason. He's obviously lost a step in the past couple of years, but I think this trade motivates him to turn it on.

I hope I'm 100% wrong here & he is washed up. I despise that team & would really like to hate to see him win with that uniform on. Although I personally like him as a player & a person. Seems like he's a class guy.

Again, we would have benefitted from keeping him ourselves if the move was to keep him away from the Jets. His postseason experience is exactly what the Knights could use. Not Ryan ****ing Reaves.

Agreed 100%. People are looking at his stats and think “oh he’s a decent 2nd line center.”

I am an Ottawa fan. 3 reasons Ottawa almost went to the finals last year in order: 1- Karlsson 2- Anderson 3- Brassard.

I would compare Brassard’s meteoric rise in the playoffs to how Krecji lifts his game in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh has the best forward core in the league, and now just added the best 3rd line center in the league.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If he doesn't fit, he's the 14th forward and maybe never even sees a playoff game. Sure, compared to John Scott he's Cam Neely. Compared to Carpenter and Nosek, he's a liability. I would have liked a little more for helping to absorb cap/make a mockery of the principle of the cap rules - and Ottawa doesn't need Cole, we do. Not a great deal IMO but nothing to flip a table over.

Reactions: Hal 9000

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If he doesn't fit, he's the 14th forward and maybe never even sees a playoff game. Sure, compared to John Scott he's Cam Neely. Compared to Carpenter and Nosek, he's a liability. I would have liked a little more for helping to absorb cap/make a mockery of the principle of the cap rules - and Ottawa doesn't need Cole, we do. Not a great deal IMO but nothing to flip a table over.
There's still a few more days, and we've still got a lot more assets.

We got better or stayed the same, IMO. If the mental benefit of a Reaves actually has an impact on the Karlssons and Marchessaults, then we're golden, IMO. This is a morale move, not a hockey move.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
There's still a few more days, and we've still got a lot more assets.

We got better or stayed the same, IMO. If the mental benefit of a Reaves actually has an impact on the Karlssons and Marchessaults, then we're golden, IMO. This is a morale move, not a hockey move.

I'd prefer if they actually make a real hockey move & go for it. This team is on a magical run, but who knows what happens next year or the year after. It looks like they were built to compete long term, but Foley isn't a spring chicken.

They are in first place right now. McPhee with all his time in Washington should know that better than anyone. The time is now.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Even the hockey guy doesn't see how Reaves fits with our style.

When has there been a case of no one retaliating for a dirty hit on a knights player? I haven't seen it yet. Just because vegas doesn't employ a thug, it doesn't mean teams have beat up on them with no fear of retaliation. I've seen guys stick up for each other all the time. So why did we pick him up? He's not going to fit in with the playstyle. If Cindy Crosby needs protection so badly, then they would have kept him. I guarantee he'll go looking for a fight with Dustin Brown at TMobile to get fans to like him. The only position that is lacking is 3c and the knights should have gone after Brassard themselves instead of trying to make a splashy deal for EK which seems to be all over the rumor mill. If any team needed a tough guy it's the lightning. They get beatings and rarely put up a fight and when they get in a fight, it usually ends up with their guy getting messed up badly.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
All this hype about the Pens and I'm still going to say Tampa is the clear beast. Pens had to give up a lot just to get closer to them. They are going to be a weakling in 3 years while the Lightning still look elite in that timeframe

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Even the hockey guy doesn't see how Reaves fits with our style.

When has there been a case of no one retaliating for a dirty hit on a knights player? I haven't seen it yet. Just because vegas doesn't employ a thug, it doesn't mean teams have beat up on them with no fear of retaliation. I've seen guys stick up for each other all the time. So why did we pick him up? He's not going to fit in with the playstyle. If Cindy Crosby needs protection so badly, then they would have kept him. I guarantee he'll go looking for a fight with Dustin Brown at TMobile to get fans to like him. The only position that is lacking is 3c and the knights should have gone after Brassard themselves instead of trying to make a splashy deal for EK which seems to be all over the rumor mill. If any team needed a tough guy it's the lightning. They get beatings and rarely put up a fight and when they get in a fight, it usually ends up with their guy getting messed up badly.

We've had issues with teams that can get physical with our top guys. Winnipeg, Dallas, Healthy-ish Anaheim, St. Louis. I'm not saying he should play super often or even be a staple of a 4th line once we're healthy, but having him in the press box for a long playoff series can't hurt, and the price was right.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
We've had issues with teams that can get physical with our top guys. Winnipeg, Dallas, Healthy-ish Anaheim, St. Louis. I'm not saying he should play super often or even be a staple of a 4th line once we're healthy, but having him in the press box for a long playoff series can't hurt, and the price was right.

St Louis was the only team I thought gave the knights fits with physical play. But they have beaten those other teams and didn't get bullied around. They outshot the ducks in the last game by a lot. Just give them props for their two goalies having an outstanding game. And what was also lacking in that game was not sending guys to the net regularly which they fixed in the next game.

Reaves will be a nacho eater if he isn't traded. He just won't fit in with the playstyle and if forced into the line up, that's giving up on that line to contribute anything offensively. We don't need him for puck possession. We have lots of guys that are great at that. Our corsi numbers are good.

The need is a 3c and maybe a dman if the right deal is but there, not a 4th line goon.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Like I said, it doesn't even have to have a tangible/visible impact on the ice. Just knowing he's there can give some of the forwards more confidence and some of the opposing players a reason to give a little more room.

Or they trade him, or they sit him, or whatever. It's literally a non-issue IMO.

Perhaps I've just got a little enforcer love from watching Ice Guardians a few weeks ago.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
St Louis was the only team I thought gave the knights fits with physical play. But they have beaten those other teams and didn't get bullied around. They outshot the ducks in the last game by a lot. Just give them props for their two goalies having an outstanding game. And what was also lacking in that game was not sending guys to the net regularly which they fixed in the next game.

Reaves will be a nacho eater if he isn't traded. He just won't fit in with the playstyle and if forced into the line up, that's giving up on that line to contribute anything offensively. We don't need him for puck possession. We have lots of guys that are great at that. Our corsi numbers are good.

The need is a 3c and maybe a dman if the right deal is but there, not a 4th line goon.
Really, I see Perron getting shoved around every game. I don't whether you don't watch the western teams too often or maybe you have more faith in humanity than I do, but if the Knights match up against LA, AnA, Cal., or Winnipeg, they all have players that have a history of running goalies. If I was a player, I'd risk a 2 or 5 minute penalty to run a goalie, not sure I'd risk a broken orbital bone though. I think this move is foreshadowing who we might face in the playoffs, probably Winnipeg.

Reactions: Chiripa20

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I love this idea the other teams are going to drastically change how they play, to take liberties with our players each and every shift and then the idea despite all evidence to the contrary that we are going to turtle and let them. Playoff hockey is different but not that different.

Reaves has no value in the press box because other teams know that if we get scared we will make our team worse and put him on the ice so now they only have to worry about three lines instead of four.

All this to keep Brasard out of Winnipeg? The value is not there for Vegas not even close and I think it would help the team more if Brasard was in Winnipeg it would soften up Nashville for us if we got that far... which we won’t if we play Reaves

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We don't know what's up with Bellemare, if he's out for a few weeks/month we probably got better with Reaves.

Who knows what he'll do with more time? I'm not ready to start doubting the executive staff and scouts after what we've seen so far this season. Plus, he got traded from his home and then left out of the games more than he'd like in Pittsburgh, so he's likely got a little VGK chip on his shoulder now too.

I'm giving it a few days.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
I've seen it argued elsewhere that the VGKs are not built to go deep into a playoff run anyway. So if one buys into that theory, then the Reaves trade is moot.

(I don't pretend to be smart/clairvoyant enough to agree/disagree with this theory, as unpredictable things happen in sports regularly.)

But if we've just handed the Pens another Cup (insert sarcasm emoji here) , then I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the wild VGK ride however long or short. :nod:

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I love this idea the other teams are going to drastically change how they play, to take liberties with our players each and every shift and then the idea despite all evidence to the contrary that we are going to turtle and let them. Playoff hockey is different but not that different.

Reaves has no value in the press box because other teams know that if we get scared we will make our team worse and put him on the ice so now they only have to worry about three lines instead of four.

All this to keep Brasard out of Winnipeg? The value is not there for Vegas not even close and I think it would help the team more if Brasard was in Winnipeg it would soften up Nashville for us if we got that far... which we won’t if we play Reaves

Good grief man, get a hold of yourself. We have Lindberg, Leipsic and Matteau who are all similar players, and don't bring much of anything. Reaves at least gives us a different look, if we need it. If you think adding Reaves over any of those players makes us significantly weaker, you're getting way out there. Besides, If we get Bellemare and Neal back and the Knights keep winning, it'll all be moot. I'm more worried about losing Neal than adding Reaves.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Good grief man, get a hold of yourself. We have Lindberg, Leipsic and Matteau who are all similar players, and don't bring much of anything. Reaves at least gives us a different look, if we need it. If you think adding Reaves over any of those players makes us significantly weaker, you're getting way out there. Besides, If we get Bellemare and Neal back and the Knights keep winning, it'll all be moot. I'm more worried about losing Neal than adding Reaves.
If Leipsic could finish of his chances, he is 100x more valuable to this team than Reaves is. Lindberg and Matteau while not flashy and in Lindbergs case has been a disappointment fit in with the way this team plays. Our forward play a similar game to Pittsburgh and Reaves was a failed experement there, I see no reason that changes here. Reaves negatives lie in the fact that his game, is not compatible with our game, to put him in the line up we are losing the effectiveness not only of the person he replaces, the the two other players on his line. If it becomes moot and we don't play Reaves this trade becomes even worse, we retained salary, we took a cap dump and gave up T. Lindberg for a 4th.... Anyway you look at it the return Vegas received from this trade was awful and I'm not going to apologize for pointing that out.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We don't know what's up with Bellemare, if he's out for a few weeks/month we probably got better with Reaves.

Who knows what he'll do with more time? I'm not ready to start doubting the executive staff and scouts after what we've seen so far this season. Plus, he got traded from his home and then left out of the games more than he'd like in Pittsburgh, so he's likely got a little VGK chip on his shoulder now too.

I'm giving it a few days.

I'm not getting this, left out of games? He played 58 of Pittsburgh's 61 before he left this season. And last year he played 80 of St. Louis' 82.

He had 7-8 minutes of ice time a night, are you suggesting we play him MORE than that?!

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm not getting this, left out of games? He played 58 of Pittsburgh's 61 before he left this season. And last year he played 80 of St. Louis' 82.

He had 7-8 minutes of ice time a night, are you suggesting we play him MORE than that?!
I guess I should say it differently. Getting TOI when it didn't really matter.

I don't watch much Eastern Conference hockey at all, I just read somewhere that he was a little disappointed in his role for the Pens, then did mental gymnastics to fit it into a VGK mold.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I guess I should say it differently. Getting TOI when it didn't really matter.

I don't watch much Eastern Conference hockey at all, I just read somewhere that he was a little disappointed in his role for the Pens, then did mental gymnastics to fit it into a VGK mold.

I don't know how well he'll fit in here, though I imagine not very well, but I think we pretty much know who he is at this point in his career. I do think this trade is weird.

We could have gotten a Reaves type player for a late pick, and it wouldn't have cost us Lindberg, strengthening a rival, 2M cap space next year, a retention slot and 1.65M real Foley dollars to get it. McPhee also wasted valuable time, a whole day at a critical time of year, that could have been spent finding other ways to make us better.

The ~100 OA pick isn't enough of a sweetener, we've got a ton of picks. The Penguins couldn't get this deal done without us. And even if these 2 GM's like McPhee better, I'm sure other contending ones are a bit annoyed with him. We didn't have to do this and got not much from it and the cap workaround loophole will probably be closed before we could use it ourselves. Our interest in the deal is...weird.

We should have gotten more to do it, or else PIT or OTT return the favor with a nice deal in the near future.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't know how well he'll fit in here, though I imagine not very well, but I think we pretty much know who he is at this point in his career. I do think this trade is weird.

We could have gotten a Reaves type player for a late pick, and it wouldn't have cost us Lindberg, strengthening a rival, 2M cap space next year, a retention slot and 1.65M real Foley dollars to get it. McPhee also wasted valuable time, a whole day at a critical time of year, that could have been spent finding other ways to make us better.

The ~100 OA pick isn't enough of a sweetener, we've got a ton of picks. The Penguins couldn't get this deal done without us. And even if these 2 GM's like McPhee better, I'm sure other contending ones are a bit annoyed with him. We didn't have to do this and got not much from it and the cap workaround loophole will probably be closed before we could use it ourselves. Our interest in the deal is...weird.

We should have gotten more to do it, or else PIT or OTT return the favor with a nice deal in the near future.
The way I'm looking at it, we got a pick and a guy for pretty much nothing but Foley's money. Plus, we got out of the hassle of having two Lindbergs on the roster.

If we scratch him for every game, we're still okay, AFAIC.

Reactions: Chiripa20

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Who would you rather face? Brassard on the Jets or Pens? It's going to take a miracle for the Pens to not win a third title.

Come on dumb question. Of course the Pens because we would be in the finals. You are just temporarily insane over this deal that is so minor to the team. It doesn't prevent any further moves and it didn't move the needle either way. If VGK didn't do this I am sure Pens would have found another party willing to work with cap space which isn't hard to find at this point of the year for a relatively small dollar amount of retention.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad