Confirmed with Link: Reaves+'18 4th to VGK from PIT, for T Lindberg (part of 3-team trade)

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The Pens are gonna miss Reeves in the playoffs...Vegas on the otherhand will enjoy his presence when facing Preds Jets Kings Ducks or Stars.

The pens won two cups without Reaves so why are they going to miss a player they acquired this year and contributed very little to them this year? They wanted to try something new and it didn't work making him expendable. Vegas has enough guys willing to drop the gloves if necessary. All I know is if he makes a stupid penalty in the playoffs (if he's on the starting roster) and costs the team a win like he did with the blues last year vs Nashville by taking a penalty for doing the only thing he's good at, I'll be beyond livid.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I run the largest independent Washington Nationals (formally Expos) board with thousands of users and there has been polls about McPhee in the off topic section and the highest amount of supporters in his last 4 years was 18% to not fire him. In the year he was fired, only 2% voted no. Before this season started, other fanbases all mocked McPhee as one of the worst GM's in the league. I suspect that the erat trade has a big part of it, but also because of the caps early exits didn't help.

I'm not ready to crown him as I believe the scouts are the true behind the scenes heroes. We'll see after 5 years if McPhee can shed his rep as bad GM. Part of his job is to make the team better for a playoff run and if he thinks Reaves is the piece of the missing puzzle then he's still stupid.

Carp, Nosek,and Tuch should be on the 3rd line. Nosek on the Reaves line makes no sense.

I guarantee he gets into a fight with the kings (I'm picking Brown) to gain support and all of the stupid new to hockey fans in Vegas will eat it up.

I wouldn't want the task of building a winning team around Ovechkin. It's a fools errand!

Reactions: Aurinko

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I run the largest independent Washington Nationals (formally Expos) board with thousands of users and there has been polls about McPhee in the off topic section and the highest amount of supporters in his last 4 years was 18% to not fire him. In the year he was fired, only 2% voted no. Before this season started, other fanbases all mocked McPhee as one of the worst GM's in the league. I suspect that the erat trade has a big part of it, but also because of the caps early exits didn't help.

I'm not ready to crown him as I believe the scouts are the true behind the scenes heroes. We'll see after 5 years if McPhee can shed his rep as bad GM. Part of his job is to make the team better for a playoff run and if he thinks Reaves is the piece of the missing puzzle then he's still stupid.

Carp, Nosek,and Tuch should be on the 3rd line. Nosek on the Reaves line makes no sense.

I guarantee he gets into a fight with the kings (I'm picking Brown) to gain support and all of the stupid new to hockey fans in Vegas will eat it up.

He'd better! There's likely a few Kings who know they might be the victim.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I TOLD YOU SO! Reaves cost us the game with that stupid penalty and he also gave up a fat juicy pizza that almost lead to another kings goal. And he couldn't even beat up any kings players. He was always late to the trash talking and pushing party. Worse than worthless. Waive his stupid ass.

Reactions: Pixie

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I TOLD YOU SO! Reaves cost us the game with that stupid penalty and he also gave up a fat juicy pizza that almost lead to another kings goal. And he couldn't even beat up any kings players. He was always late to the trash talking and pushing party. Worse than worthless. Waive his stupid ass.
I hope you’ve got it out of your system.

We’re not doing this.

Chiripa20

May 29, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
The pens won two cups without Reaves so why are they going to miss a player they acquired this year and contributed very little to them this year? They wanted to try something new and it didn't work making him expendable. Vegas has enough guys willing to drop the gloves if necessary. All I know is if he makes a stupid penalty in the playoffs (if he's on the starting roster) and costs the team a win like he did with the blues last year vs Nashville by taking a penalty for doing the only thing he's good at, I'll be beyond livid.
Dude, you are so superficially presenting your thoughts, I just can’t help responding some times. WHO are all these tough guys we have and do we want the very few of them in that role at all the rest of the season?
Pittsburg had to give to get.
Every player makes mistakes, some are just more noticeable to SOME people.
Man, we get it, you hate our GM.

Reactions: Northern Knights

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
There are literally hundreds of "moments" in a game that decide how it turns. To pin a loss on one player is...well.

But we can also blame:

1) Eakin's face. :laugh:

2) Clifford for knocking out Lindberg and whoever caused Nealer to fall and get hurt, putting us down two forwards for most of the game.

3) Tuchsy for not putting one of many great chances into the net.

4) Miller's OT penalty.

5) The ref who called the penalty on Miller.

6) The crossbar in OT.

7) Quick for playing so well.

8) Etc.

Not impressed with Reaves' first game. But it was his first game with the team after little practice. I still think it's common sense to reserve judgment until we see how and how much Reaves will be used.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Just spitballing here... but that kings game was far and away the most physical game we have played and it maybe pure coincidence but it seemed Reaves presence encouraged LA to play more physical. You bring a physical player we will be even more physical. He didn’t do anything to deter hits on any of our players... he seemed to have the opposite effect than intended.

So far I haven’t seen anything that I will supposedly love about him, he has so far done everything I said he would. And we give up a whole line just to play one player and I don’t like that at all.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Just spitballing here... but that kings game was far and away the most physical game we have played and it maybe pure coincidence but it seemed Reaves presence encouraged LA to play more physical. You bring a physical player we will be even more physical. He didn’t do anything to deter hits on any of our players... he seemed to have the opposite effect than intended.

So far I haven’t seen anything that I will supposedly love about him, he has so far done everything I said he would. And we give up a whole line just to play one player and I don’t like that at all.
I think what's happening is that teams are no longer taking the Knights lightly. They are a true threat to win the Stanley Cup and as we wind through the final 20 odd games and into the playoffs, we're gonna see more of this. Teams don't bother playing physical unless they think that's the only way to win. Nobody goons up teams like the Canucks because they simply don't have to. Most teams can't compete with Vegas' speed, so they'll take runs at guys like we saw last night. This is why we will at some point need Reaves.

Reactions: Chiripa20

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think what's happening is that teams are no longer taking the Knights lightly. They are a true threat to win the Stanley Cup and as we wind through the final 20 odd games and into the playoffs, we're gonna see more of this. Teams don't bother playing physical unless they think that's the only way to win. Nobody goons up teams like the Canucks because they simply don't have to. Most teams can't compete with Vegas' speed, so they'll take runs at guys like we saw last night. This is why we will at some point need Reaves.
But Reaves is there to deter players running our guys... we play Reaves and players start taking runs at our players. He’s had a negative value at his game let alone our game

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
But Reaves is there to deter players running our guys... we play Reaves and players start taking runs at our players. He’s had a negative value at his game let alone our game
All three California teams were taking runs at our players all season. It's how they roll.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Dude, you are so superficially presenting your thoughts, I just can’t help responding some times. WHO are all these tough guys we have and do we want the very few of them in that role at all the rest of the season?
Pittsburg had to give to get.
Every player makes mistakes, some are just more noticeable to SOME people.
Man, we get it, you hate our GM.

[mod] What top teams employ goons? If all of the other top teams don't have goons them why do the knights need one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
VGK won't win playing LA hockey. They add Reaves and start trying to play different instead of playing what worked for them. Engelland and McNabb are physical enough guys. Maybe Tuch too, but I don't see any guys wussing out. Perron and Marchy are feisty guys even if they aren't big. They won't drop Reaves from the roster, but wish he never came here. He's got everyone thinking we can play a physical game all game long and they aren't looking to play hockey any more. They are just looking to hit people and are off their game. I told you guys this would happen, but some refused to listen. I don't see any top teams with goons. They might play physical, but that doesn't mean VGK needs to get a guy like Reaves and change the playstyle because he's in the line up and well because they were playing LA it seemed like they got trapped into playing the type of game LA likes to play when they should have played what worked for them.

kenjidm

Oct 5, 2006
VGK won't win playing LA hockey. They add Reaves and start trying to play different instead of playing what worked for them. Engelland and McNabb are physical enough guys. Maybe Tuch too, but I don't see any guys wussing out. Perron and Marchy are feisty guys even if they aren't big. They won't drop Reaves from the roster, but wish he never came here. He's got everyone thinking we can play a physical game all game long and they aren't looking to play hockey any more. They are just looking to hit people and are off their game. I told you guys this would happen, but some refused to listen. I don't see any top teams with goons. They might play physical, but that doesn't mean VGK needs to get a guy like Reaves and change the playstyle because he's in the line up and well because they were playing LA it seemed like they got trapped into playing the type of game LA likes to play when they should have played what worked for them.

I tend to agree with you. Engelland and McNabb are no push overs and wouldn't hesitate to drop the gloves. Reaves would also probably fall into the heavyweight category of fighters which McNabb and Engelland are already. For the sake of Vegas, I hope they don't change their style of play just cause Reaves is in there throwing his weight around. I believe the whole reason why the Knights were the better team against the Kings this season is the fact that they took LA (physical team) off their game with Vegas style of hockey. Only time will tell....

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Pacific is going to play Vegas hockey way before we can play Pacific division hockey. Like I've said before, he's okay to just have there since the Knights aren't really a physical/Pacific type of team. If he plays hockey and is a net benefit to the team, great. If it makes the small scorers feel better that he's here, great. If it gives Marchessault and extra couple inches of room, great. If he's last night's player, I don't think his game (which was fine outside of PIM) is worth it.

I don't believe this was a unilateral GMGM decision to bring Reaves in, though. I'm fine with him while the 4th line is hurt, if he's there when Carrier and Bellemare return then I'm sure we'd all be happy with that decision at the time it happens. In other words, if he's there, he'll have earned it and we'll accept it. Two games deep isn't the time to develop long term opinions, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm open to the chance that he can play well in Las Vegas.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The Pacific is going to play Vegas hockey way before we can play Pacific division hockey. Like I've said before, he's okay to just have there since the Knights aren't really a physical/Pacific type of team. If he plays hockey and is a net benefit to the team, great. If it makes the small scorers feel better that he's here, great. If it gives Marchessault and extra couple inches of room, great. If he's last night's player, I don't think his game (which was fine outside of PIM) is worth it.

I don't believe this was a unilateral GMGM decision to bring Reaves in, though. I'm fine with him while the 4th line is hurt, if he's there when Carrier and Bellemare return then I'm sure we'd all be happy with that decision at the time it happens. In other words, if he's there, he'll have earned it and we'll accept it. Two games deep isn't the time to develop long term opinions, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm open to the chance that he can play well in Las Vegas.

I agree last night he wasn't a negative on the ice with his play when he wasn't taking penalties but those penalties will always come with his game. He's just not worth it. It wasn't ever going to be good, only neutral at best.

I also think we should have gotten more than a 4th rounder to be Pittsburgh's drug mule for Brassard's cap hit. It doesn't cover the franchise in glory or honor. So that warrior class stuff goes out the window.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If everyone is healthy then there's too many wingers. A few good players won't be playing. Reaves will have to prove his worth soon if he is going to be playing come playoff time.

I doubt he will be playing in the playoffs unless someone takes a player out for several games and payback is needed and Reaves can play the role of Matt Cooke. I'd prefer for the team to play a fast game and not have to use him at all even for retaliation purposes, but that seems to be what he's suited for. 5 to 10 years ago he'd be a great addition to a team, but championship teams no longer have guys like Reaves on their teams. Just because other teams are playing physical doesn't mean they employ goons. LA sure but not the preds or the Jets who can play physical and fast.

Reactions: Supermassive

Chiripa20

May 29, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
Interesting view and certainly a sample based on a extremely short period of time; a player being added to a faster more complex system that few can comprehend or explain, also an opinion I believe based on a superficial view of a far more complex and long/medium term thought process.
LA is fighting for their playoff lives and are at best right now prob 50/50 to get into the playoffs.
IF, I am any player on the VGK club, including especially our only true deterrent Engelland, I’m quietly happy to have Reaves to keep opposing teams honest. It does appear though, the overall physical game noticeably increased against LA. A team like that, who bullies and wears down others is of course going to have push back.
I personally think if Reaves does increase the overall physical play, better yet, because in our “real season” coming up that will be what we need to prepare for now. I doubt he will play more than 1/3 our playoff games.
Cooker and Reaves at best overlap 40% in style of play. Too very different players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->