Confirmed with Link: Reaves+'18 4th to VGK from PIT, for T Lindberg (part of 3-team trade)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No matter how many times Pirate Deadpool says it, Reaves is not just a "goon".

He is a hard-working fit athlete who checks hard and often every shift!

Yeah, he's a limited role guy, with one skill he does more frequently than any of our guys (bodycheck) and another skill we do poorly at (fight).

Why don't you put your finger on a better player we should acquire who fights and checks and we could get along with a pick in exchange for an underperforming 22 year old prospect we realy ought to cut ties with anyways! (the other two teams in the deal did not deal primarily to get Tobias).

I don't get the hate here. Unless you love Tobias or think the team has a snowball's chance of actually hitting the cap ceiling (not just coming within 2 mill of it), I don't get the negatives of this deal.

Reactions: Chiripa20

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Lucic can actually put up points too.... and I don't want him either, also don't really care about Lindberg either, but the fact we still had to give up something, to get a crappy return for making another team better.

I don't even really hate Reaves, but he is a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. His biggest negative is Gallant will probably be shoehorned into actually playing him... he's not playing on the first 3 lines and our 4 line is excellent, even with the injuries we have, those replacement players fit in with the line... Reaves does not, playing him makes our team worse and increases the usage of our top 3 lines, increasing their risk of fatigue or injury. The only way this works out as a positive is if we manage to trade Reaves to another team for picks... but seeing as GMGM specifically wanted him, that's not going to happen.

This deal is awful for Vegas, we save Ottawa money on a player that we retain the salary on so another team can fit him under the cap... in return for this we effectively trade Lindberg for a 4th, and get paid back with a Player that doesn't fit our team, and will make it worse should he play for it. I mean I'm quite happy to use cap space and a retention slot, but not on a deal that is awful for Vegas.

As a fan I want a please explain from GMGM, if I was Foley I would want it even more.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hangman005, please edit your post. (I doubt he'll stand by what he posted. Really?)
As you (?!), I am a fan. I won't forget:
some poster named hangman said:
This deal is awful for Vegas, we save Ottawa money on a player that we retain the salary on so another team can fit him under the cap... in return for this we effectively trade Lindberg for a 4th, and get paid back with a Player that doesn't fit our team, and will make it worse should he play for it.
I dunno why we disagree about this, but we do.:huh:

Reactions: Chiripa20

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Doesn't fit with our team.

Huh.

A hard-working guy who drops the gloves where our team drops panties.

I don't understand hangman at all.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
He plays a vastly different style of game to every player on our roster, it's not simply about working hard, and hitting and fighting, it's that he does that in away that doesn't work with our team, our forward core is more built along the lines of Pittsburgh than it is any team in the West and there is a reason when push comes to shove he sat in the press box.

He's a square peg, and we are trying to fit him in a round hole.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Only a moron sees this as a good fit. The poor 3rd line will likely be the one he further drags down as the 4th line is clicking very well. I'm sure he'll play vs the kings in both games to match up with their goons and that's the last we'll see of him unless he shows some skill that I have never seen before in my life.

If this was a 2 line team and the 4th line was a hard checking energy line that isn't asked to bring any skill and scoring then sure he's that guy.

The VGK game plan is rolling 4 solid lines that can score and forecheck you to death creating turnovers that leads to great scoring chances.

If Vegas wants to throw their cap money around for some needed grit because that wins playoff games then trade for that other bum Dustin Brown. I bet the kings would give him away. The game has changed. These types of players are dinosaurs and not needed in the regular season and the playoffs.

Blocking Brassard is stupid. If the knights are going to win it all, who is the better team that they would have to potentially beat? Brassard with the Jets or Brassard with the Pens? Brassard with the Pens is way more dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: derriko

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Contrary to what some of you may believe, Reaves is actually a pretty fast/good skater, and is pretty good at working along the boards. He's not gonna light it up offensively but he also isn't gonna be a liability.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
If hits were important, why the current team leaders look like this?

Hits Per Game

:amazed: 4th is the Stanley Cup champion, 3rd and tied for 4th are teams in OUR division (Anaheim in playoff position and LA just one point out with a game in hand)!

Yeah, in a 31-team league, that list you provide is SIGNIFICANT for us!

Let's look at the list objectively. Four of the top six hitting teams are from the Pacific. Of course, VGK will face these other Pacific teams more than any other teams.

Two of the biggest Stanley Cup contenders are on that list: Pittsburgh and Boston. Pittsburgh needs to be a heavy hitting team to protect its stars (Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel). I'm not sure why the Bruins are so heavy.

I, as much as anyone, am against fighting in hockey. I believe that both a head punch or intentional hit to the head deserves an immediate ejection from the game and at least a one game suspension.

That said, I also take the game as it is and not how it should be. A team must be willing to stand up for itself; otherwise, it will be run over.

Fortunately, Reaves is not the prototypical 1990s enforcer. He does possess some offensive skills and if used correctly, could be a useful addition to the team. He would not be my priority pickup, but he should be of some benefit if this team hopes to escape the Pacific and Western Conference playoffs.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Gallant participated in pretrade discussion. Hasn't had a chance to figure out how to incorporate Reaves into lineup.
The Knights are really cruising and seem to have incredible chemistry - is there a chance that management leaves the team alone and flip Reaves at the deadline?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Reaves is the smaller issue here. At worst, he can sit in the press box & not disturb the team chemistry. Maybe he gets into a few games & contributes something.

The bigger issue is helping a team who you might be direct competition for a championship. Where's the upside? A 4th rounder? Doesn't make sense. We have plenty of assets to trade before the draft if we need/want to stockpile picks. From a hockey standpoint, this trade sucks, period.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'd love it if Vegas makes the finals and gets swept by the Pens and I hate the Pens with a passion. Blocking the Jets is dumb when the Pens are way better with him. GMGM lives up to his reputation. I give credit to the scouting staff and Gallant. GMGM is still the same guy who can't make a good deal at the deadline to save his life.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Reaves is the smaller issue here. At worst, he can sit in the press box & not disturb the team chemistry. Maybe he gets into a few games & contributes something.

The bigger issue is helping a team who you might be direct competition for a championship. Where's the upside? A 4th rounder? Doesn't make sense. We have plenty of assets to trade before the draft if we need/want to stockpile picks. From a hockey standpoint, this trade sucks, period.
Supposedly, if we didn’t do this, Brassard was going to Winnipeg.

While I think it’s giving a lot of respect to Brassard, more than he deserves, IMO, we managed to keep him in the other playoff bracket and also address a team need (whether you agree or not) for almost nothing.

It’s an okay move from a team that’s not sure it should do anything at all.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Let's look at the list objectively. Four of the top six hitting teams are from the Pacific. Of course, VGK will face these other Pacific teams more than any other teams.

Two of the biggest Stanley Cup contenders are on that list: Pittsburgh and Boston. Pittsburgh needs to be a heavy hitting team to protect its stars (Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel). I'm not sure why the Bruins are so heavy.

I, as much as anyone, am against fighting in hockey. I believe that both a head punch or intentional hit to the head deserves an immediate ejection from the game and at least a one game suspension.

That said, I also take the game as it is and not how it should be. A team must be willing to stand up for itself; otherwise, it will be run over.

Fortunately, Reaves is not the prototypical 1990s enforcer. He does possess some offensive skills and if used correctly, could be a useful addition to the team. He would not be my priority pickup, but he should be of some benefit if this team hopes to escape the Pacific and Western Conference playoffs.

None of the vegas players have bitched out. They have stood up for themselves when needed. Reaves is a scrub and won't fit in with the teams playstyle. I've seen plenty of his games and he's a goon and that's it. The blues even gave up on the beat you up game so he was unnecessary.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

While I think it’s giving a lot of respect to Brassard, more than he deserves, IMO, we managed to keep him in the other playoff bracket and also address a team need (whether you agree or not) for almost nothing.

Who would you rather face? Brassard on the Jets or Pens? It's going to take a miracle for the Pens to not win a third title.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

That's fine & dandy, but we can't police every trade in the league. Teams are going to improve, doesn't mean we have to directly help one of them. One who doesn't need any help down the middle. If they win it all, I am going be SEVERELY pissed off that McPhee had a huge hand in it.

If we wanted to keep Brassard away from the Jets, we should've kept him ourselves. He would be a huge upgrade over Eakin.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Who would you rather face? Brassard on the Jets or Pens? It's going to take a miracle for the Pens to not win a third title.

Pens have a lot of opportunity to lose prior to the finals, as do we.

Whether is makes a difference or not to us remains to be seen, but I’ve got a feeling Marchessault will have a better playoffs series with the opposition knowing Reaves can show up on the bench in the next game.

For as much as we’ve moved on from the goon days, I don’t think it hurts to have a goon.
That's fine & dandy, but we can't police every trade in the league. Teams are going to improve, doesn't mean we have to directly help one of them. One who doesn't need any help down the middle. If they win it all, I am going be SEVERELY pissed off that McPhee had a huge hand in it.

If we wanted to keep Brassard away from the Jets, we should've kept him ourselves. He would be a huge upgrade over Eakin.
GMGM owed a favor and got something out of it. We shouldn’t have been involved in the deal at all, but we’ve got cap space and retention spots. We made a deal that doesn’t impact us at all outside of a guy most people didn’t realize we had on contract, and we got an enforcer out of it.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
To whom did he owe a favor to, exactly? Pitt? For taking Fleury?!? You've got that completely backwards.

Sorry I don't see it that way at all. But let's say you're right & he did. This is the price? Gift them another Cup? That's absurd. Sorry, BB, we're not gonna see eye to eye on this

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Brassard doesn’t gift Pittsburgh another cup. I think we all need to take a breather here. It’s Derick f***ing Brassard.

Let’s say there’s no favor involved at all, we turned T. Lindberg into Ryan Reeves.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Brassard doesn’t gift Pittsburgh another cup. I think we all need to take a breather here. It’s Derick ****ing Brassard.

Let’s say there’s no favor involved at all, we turned T. Lindberg into Ryan Reeves.

I watched the guy closely in the playoffs for 3 years. The Rangers board didn't name him Brassgod for no good reason. His game hits another level in the postseason. He's obviously lost a step in the past couple of years, but I think this trade motivates him to turn it on.

I hope I'm 100% wrong here & he is washed up. I despise that team & would really like to hate to see him win with that uniform on. Although I personally like him as a player & a person. Seems like he's a class guy.

Again, we would have benefitted from keeping him ourselves if the move was to keep him away from the Jets. His postseason experience is exactly what the Knights could use. Not Ryan f***ing Reaves.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Just want to say that Reaves WILL help you, especially in the playoffs and MOST especially in a division containing the Kings and the Ducks. Playoffs are, obviously a different bird, and a guy like Reaves WHO IS ABSOLUTELY NOT JUST A GOON, will give your skilled guys space. Crosby hasn't had any abuse all season for the first time in his career.

Reaves is a good hockey player and will fit on your fourth line. Give him a couple speedy linemates and he will eat possession nom nom nom. It took him awhile to adjust to a high intensity style from the more methodical and slow-paced Blues teams but he was just fitting in and now hes traded. He should adapt quickly.

You guys got yourselves a hockeyplayer

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I can't believe so many people are losing their sheet over this. It's not like GMGM gave up Karlsson for Reeves. Reeves will likely sit in the press box or on the bench most of the time, until Gallant feels we need him, and if Gallant feels we do need him, then we're probably getting beach slapped and actually do need him. Relax people! I'd rather have a dog in the yard, then no dog in the yard. A week ago people were saying "we're an expansion team, no need to do anything", now the world is falling because having an enforcer will make us lose the Stanley Cup.

As a Canuck fan, I'm all too familiar with the theory of "turning the other cheek" and allowing the refs to handle things. FYI, It doesn't work.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad