Reason For Getting Outshot

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tonight we were outshot 42-22. They did have 7-8 PP's but keep in mind we also had 5 PP's.

Past 4 games.

50-57-37-42

After watching games very carefully It came down to one common theme.

Defense mobility

When the other team dumps it in, unless it is the top pair(sometimes), the other 2 pairings do not retreat the puck and are consistently hemmed in for multiple shots against sometimes even per shift.

Cowen-Wiercioch as well as Phillips-Gryba have been tremendously exposed by fast skating forechecking teams that get the puck or even draw penalties while retrieving it. On the cycle the pairings get exposed and can't contain forwards.

Not only has this resulted in a lot of shots against, it also results in very weak and frustrating offensive opportunities. I've counted many times were our forwards were the ones responsible for breaking the puck up ice for offensive chance rather than have defensive help.

We won tonight but we got lucky many times and still allowed double the shots we took which is unacceptable to a team that is one of the worst in the league(No disrespect NJD)

I believe solution is Gryba for Corvo and potentially giving that 2nd pairing more time... No other option unless we pair Methot with Wiercioch and Cowen with Karlsson.

Cowen was on the ice for most shots and chances against past 2 games before this if I am not mistaken(Read it on twitter, I believe wam? or 6thsense)

Never knew we were gonna miss Gonchar this much.

Unacceptable really.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A NEGATIVE THREAD. We have potential to be top 5 team in league. We must shore this up or else we will barely squeeze in playoffs unless defense plays much, much better.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Cowen just doesn't look sharp at all. I don't know what to say but I was hoping for more development in his game. He has missed a lot of hockey the past few years but he's not what I was expecting, that's for sure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Cowen is fine.

I can recall one very good play busting up that 2 on 1 pass at the last second.

We have some young defencemen. We're going to have to be patient.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Cowen looks like he barely executes plays. Like his brain makes a poor read, but his range bails him out.

Also, the narrative that he's mobile 'for his size' has to stop; he's not quick, and his top end speed isn't high.

He is coming off injury and can work on his skating somewhat, but when Sens fans say he's a good skater they're kidding themselves.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
They just look sloppy. Missed passes, pucks skated by, flubbed clearances. Don't know what the answer is, but I'm hoping it's fixed soon.

dasboot

Jajajaja
Sep 12, 2010
I think Cowen is fine.

I can recall one very good play busting up that 2 on 1 pass at the last second.

We have some young defencemen. We're going to have to be patient.

Except he was way out of position because he went to his opposite side to try and throw a hit which resulted in the 2 on 1.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Patience is indeed going to be key

It's rather hard to believe that Gonchar was the linchpin of our defense last year however

Part of the frustration is that we were rock solid defensively last year and now we suck? It doesn't make much sense

WhiteLight*

I have no idea why Cowen thought he was worth over 3M, and I have no idea why the Sens obliged. He's making more than Kadri. He's not playing like a top 4 D right now that's for sure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cowen has to start playing like Gryba and focus on simple plays. Leave the pinches alone for awhile. Methot is having more success with his but it's still leading to a lot of odd-man rushes.

I agree that Cowen is not playing like a top 4 guy.

Problem is, Gryba and Phillips certainly aren't either.

I also think that excessive PK is both physically and mentally tiring.

Canadian Guy said:
It's rather hard to believe that Gonchar was the linchpin of our defense last year however

He played a lot of minutes.

He was going to leave a hole.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
We are getting outshot because we are taking 9 penalties in the 2nd period. HELLO.

Stop blaming it on one of the youngest D cores in the nhl with 10 games in the season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Part of the frustration is that we were rock solid defensively last year and now we suck? It doesn't make much sense

It kinda does...

Methot-Gryba
Gonchar-Wiercioch
Phillips-Benoit

There was a fast puck-moving defender on each pairing. And yes, I say Methot is fast and puckmoving.

Phillips-Gryba and Cowen-Wiercioch is disaster in catching up with speedy guys.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We are getting outshot because we are taking 9 penalties in the 2nd period. HELLO.

Stop blaming it on one of the youngest D cores in the nhl with 10 games in the season.

This is not only in regards to being outshot but also lack of shots or good breakouts as well.

And this has been reoccurring and consistent issue, not just tonight.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
PP difference has a lot to do with it.

In addition we have always let the opposing team shoot a lot, that's part of the reason why our goaltenders had such high save percentages last year.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Originally I was going to report the OP for expressing an opinion but I see at the bottom he listed a disclaimer so I guess it's ok now.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Dave Tippett said:
"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

This is essentially our problem. We are filled with the shut-down defencemen mentioned by Tippett.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's nice to be on the other side for once. Last year and in many years previous we'd outshoot teams like Toronto badly and it would be Reimer coming up big.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
PP difference has a lot to do with it.

In addition we have always let the opposing team shoot a lot, that's part of the reason why our goaltenders had such high save percentages last year.

Most of the shots we allowed were from perimeter. We are allowing a couple breakaways a game now with inclose opportunities. Pretty sure we averaged 36 shots against, not this craziness. This is not the same case.

Originally I was going to report the OP for expressing an opinion but I see at the bottom he listed a disclaimer so I guess it's ok now.

Phew, learned from those Marketplace vids

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013

I completely agree with this, Gonchar definitely stabilized the sens D last year, Gonchar is very smart and that's why he was able to play well with young players like Wier last year and cowen the year before. Phillips is nowhere near the level of Gonchar and Wier is not ready for top 4 minutes. Cowen can play top 4 minutes because he can outpower or outreach most players but he definitely needs experience and development. I hope there is another Methot-lite type of player Ottawa can acquire or sign. It is also sad to see Phillips be in the #1 PP unit, he just kills that PP, he's got no offensive ability whatsoever.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Our top 4 was the biggest question mark coming into this season.

Not surprisingly, it's been iffy.

Agreed. I feel like we are one top 2/3 defender away from actually having one of the best defensive corpses in the league.

At least until Cowen/Wier/Ceci develop which may take longer. Depends when Murray wants to challenge for cup, tbh.

burf

Mar 27, 2012

Except one of the youngest D-cores in the NHL is to blame in a huge way, since Karlsson-Methot, and to a lesser extent Corvo, are the only D-men on the team who can get it out of our zone with possession regularly. The other 4 all play the old "chip it up the boards and hope it works out" game, which results in a turnover and more shots against.

However, the forwards (with the exception of Turris, Mac, and Ryan) definitely aren't helping out any either. There's a reason that the 3 players on the Turris line are vastly outperforming everyone else on the team (in today's game they each had 50%+ of the shot attempts, while everyone else was under 40%), and that's: 1) their ability to make good passes out of the zone; 2) their ability to gain the offensive zone with possession; and 3) they don't give the puck away nearly as much in the offensive zone.

This is essentially our problem. We are filled with the shut-down defencemen mentioned by Tippett.

I agree completely, albeit modified by what I said about the forwards above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad