Really strong attendance numbers

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I'm well aware of the Leafs many shortcomings. I for one think its amazing that the fans put up with what they do there. If they voted with their wallets, they might force MLSE to actually treat them well. I can find plenty of hockey without the NHL in Ohio. The options in the GTA are almost endless. What do you think MLSE would do if they scheduled a Leafs game and no one showed up? What would those ticket brokers do if they lost their money on Leafs tickets?

Many cities have tons to do toronto as much as some go on about it beeing a great hockey market well the ohl and ahl get real bad support.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Many cities have tons to do toronto as much as some go on about it beeing a great hockey market well the ohl and ahl get real bad support.

I understand that, well sort of. I know the Marlies don't draw well and the O teams in the GTA could certainly draw more fans. As far as the Marlies, going to their games does support the Leafs. How about the Majors, Battalion, etc? Great hockey, cheap prices too.

As I posted above, I can see plenty here without the Blue Jackets. Hell, I had a great time seeing Notre Dame play Ohio State. Got to see some prospects like Riley Sheahan and Shane Sims. It was fun, cheap and it was a great atmosphere.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
I'm well aware of the Leafs many shortcomings. I for one think its amazing that the fans put up with what they do there. If they voted with their wallets, they might force MLSE to actually treat them well.

That's what happens when the demand for professional hockey in Southern Ontario far outstrips supply. People wind up paying big bucks to watch a horrible team at the ACC, or they take a long drive and deal with border waits to watch the Sabres in Buffalo (even if they're crap) and the Red Wings in Detroit.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
And for some teams they seem to only report attendance of people actually there.

In Columbus it may say there's only 13k there but there seems to really be 13k there because most of the lower bowl and half the upper will be filled. Whereas I watched Florida that other night and I think they said attendance was 11.5k and there was almost no one in the upper bowl to be found and quite a lot of empty seats even in the lower bowl.

And we all know Detroit is averaging like 14-15k attendance. Half their lower bowl is empty nearly every game I've seen. I have yet to see what the upper bowl looks like though.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...k&page=nhl/teams/125/attendance.aspx?team=125

Detroit's averaging 19407 and have sold out their last 6 games. Most games are sold out or are close to being sold out through February.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
watched the ranger-thrasher game last night, and it looked like it was packed.

17k+ last night. The Thrashers had a nice little streak of 14k+ attendance broken on Thursday night. Next two home games are on a Weds and Tues night, we will see how ugly it gets...but it appears the sales reps in Philips Arena are much busier these days.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
That's what happens when the demand for professional hockey in Southern Ontario far outstrips supply. People wind up paying big bucks to watch a horrible team at the ACC, or they take a long drive and deal with border waits to watch the Sabres in Buffalo (even if they're crap) and the Red Wings in Detroit.

I would disagree. Demand for Maple Leafs tickets is high, while the AHL and OHL have lots of unsold seats, and the ACC has lots of paid for empty seats. The Leafs situation is not just an outlier, but absurd. Season tickets go to brokers and corporations. The large number of brokers buying season tickets creates this mess. The Leafs aren't held accountable because of it. The only way fans can hold them accountable is to spend their money on other forms of hockey. What's wrong with spending your money on the OHL?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I would disagree. Demand for Maple Leafs tickets is high, while the AHL and OHL have lots of unsold seats, and the ACC has lots of paid for empty seats. The Leafs situation is not just an outlier, but absurd. Season tickets go to brokers and corporations. The large number of brokers buying season tickets creates this mess. The Leafs aren't held accountable because of it. The only way fans can hold them accountable is to spend their money on other forms of hockey. What's wrong with spending your money on the OHL?
The Leafs situation is a strange one...it's corporate money that holds that together, not the average fan.....but I think it's starting to wane for the fans....ya gotta give them credit though, since the lockout, they have been brutal, and the highest price tickets, but people still go.....supply vs demand at it's finest...

Ogopogo*

Agreed. Major junior hockey in Canada is an excellent product.

That being said, the big ticket in town always dwarfs the second or third best option. Even in Edmonton, I went to see our WHL Oil Kings play last night and the game was excellent. There were only about 4-5,000 people at the game as many people want the NHL and nothing less.

I would watch major junior any time. Very good hockey.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
DanZ - Gulvorn is addressing the discrepancy between "tickets distributed" and "butts in the seats." Detroit might be officially sold out, but there aren't nearly as many people actually in the building. Edmonton appears to be the same way on limited viewing (it's been super empty in the couple games I've watched from there, and I get that since the team has been so bad recently).

Many of the empty seats might actually be sold, particularly lower bowl seats that are owned by corporations who might not have given their tickets away for that game.

But not all teams use the same measure, notably Columbus, and it leads to a lot of apple-orange comparisons. You simply can't compare reported tickets sold to actual drop count learn something meaningful, and you can't compare reported tickets sold to pictures of arenas with big swaths of empty seats. Unfortunately, people around here do a lot of both.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008

No-one cares about the AHL - it's horrible hockey.

Demand for NHL hockey in Southern Ontario >>>>>>>>> Supply. That's a fact.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
If the team salaries were in the 20-30 mil range. NHL owners could have cheaper tickets and make money and maintain a healthy league with extra money to grow the game.

instead the salaries to whatever end always get driven up and many are left behind.

Hockey ticket prices are simply outrageous in most cities. Even mine. Our expensive tickets are 40 bucks for the last row. That is stupid high for a sport that plays 82 games per year.

the NHL business model is stupid, it is just a better way of doing business then say Baseball.

but overall they are way off. They should be expanding the empire at the cost of profit now to play catchup.

spending 100 million of the revenue on taking the game to new kids per year will pay off huge dividends.but the current players have no stake in that scenario

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006

The second best league in North America is horrible hockey? We'll take the Marlies down here in Florida then. I miss minor league hockey. (Too bad the IHL died after Orlando won the championship) Cheap seats, cheap beer, tons of fun. Guess Toronto is too elitist for a good deal. They'd rather be ripped off by giant corporations to watch a team that probably couldn't even make the AHL playoffs.

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
If the team salaries were in the 20-30 mil range. NHL owners could have cheaper tickets and make money and maintain a healthy league with extra money to grow the game.

instead the salaries to whatever end always get driven up and many are left behind.

Hockey ticket prices are simply outrageous in most cities. Even mine. Our expensive tickets are 40 bucks for the last row. That is stupid high for a sport that plays 82 games per year.

the NHL business model is stupid, it is just a better way of doing business then say Baseball.

but overall they are way off. They should be expanding the empire at the cost of profit now to play catchup.

spending 100 million of the revenue on taking the game to new kids per year will pay off huge dividends.but the current players have no stake in that scenario
Wow... I don't know what to say...

Do you really think that if a team can sellout an arena with high prices, that they would rather lower the prices and lower their revenue???

If the players had lower salaries, all it would change is that owners would be pocketing more money. Simple supply and demand! The prices have nothing to do with the cost, if 20,000 people are willing to pay $100 for tickets, then 20,000 tickets will be sold for $100! Why would they sell them for anything less, it's not as if they can magically expand the arena capacity, supply is fixed.

If you want lower ticket prices, people will have to stop going to games. Look at Florida, you can get 2-for-1 tickets, you can name your own price on season tickets, you can get a refund if you are not satisfied, last year you could get free tickets with a Florida driver's licence... Why? Because demand for tickets is that low, not because players in Florida play for free.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
The second best league in North America is horrible hockey? We'll take the Marlies down here in Florida then. I miss minor league hockey. (Too bad the IHL died after Orlando won the championship) Cheap seats, cheap beer, tons of fun. Guess Toronto is too elitist for a good deal. They'd rather be ripped off by giant corporations to watch a team that probably couldn't even make the AHL playoffs.

I'm with you. Manitoba Moose season ticket holder. I guarantee the smile on my face is larger than any fan at the ACC. Funny thing is that the fans don't get to go to the ACC. The average leaf fan couldn't inform you on how their season tickets are, or how the beer tastes. They can scream "Holy Mackinaw!" with the telecast at home.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

It's horrible hockey? Have you ever been to an AHL game?

The fans in TO that are think the NHL is the only game worth seeing, and then paying the ticket brokers obscene prices are only screwing themselves, and all the other Leafs fans.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Boston is doing great these past 2 seasons, considering they have to compete with the Celtics, the Pats and the Red Sox who are all competitive and always mostly sell out.

In terms of fan support, no city in North America compares to Boston IMO. REd Sox sell out every game and have sold out every game for years with the second highest ticket prices in baseball. Celtics either sell out every game or are at 99% attendance. Bruins sell out every game. Patriots sell out every game with top 3 ticket prices in the NFL.

Amazing fan support...

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
In terms of fan support, no city in North America compares to Boston IMO. REd Sox sell out every game and have sold out every game for years with the second highest ticket prices in baseball. Celtics either sell out every game or are at 99% attendance. Bruins sell out every game. Patriots sell out every game with top 3 ticket prices in the NFL.

Amazing fan support...

Bruins went several years without sell outs.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

:shakehead

I doubt you have ever been to an AHL game. Ignorant statements like this make me wonder how much you know about the game of hockey.

Someone else on here stated that ohl hockey is a good product and I don't disagree....but it you put a good OHL team up against a good AHL team, the AHL team would kill them 9 out of 10 times.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Not all NHL attendances are doing well this season. Atlanta, NYI, and Phoenix are doing horrible. Coyotes average under 11k, but we all know you need to subtract 2k according to the BK reports. When the team reported 14k, it really was 12k.

But I would say most of the teams are doing well.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

Amazing fan support...

When I went to school in Boston in the 80's the Sox were averaging about 22K/game and I could walk up to virtually any game and get tickets. It was pretty easy to get Bruins tickets. They were literally giving away Patriots tix. The Celtics were the only hot ticket - and even there you frequently could get walk up tix at the box office.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006

I doubt you have ever been to an ahl game before. im sure thats a fact :shakehead

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
When I went to school in Boston in the 80's the Sox were averaging about 22K/game and I could walk up to virtually any game and get tickets. It was pretty easy to get Bruins tickets. They were literally giving away Patriots tix. The Celtics were the only hot ticket - and even there you frequently could get walk up tix at the box office.

Things have a tendency to change with time, don't they? ;)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Believe it or not, in 1965 the Red Sox had games where only 500 people showed up. Yankees too.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Meanwhile in PHX the league owned Yotes can't give away tickets....

current deal is-

for $25 you get:

- ticket to the game
- a beer
- a T shirt
- free parking

What a fantastic hockey market!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad