Really strong attendance numbers

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by tarheelhockey, Dec 28, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

I just noticed that, having played roughly half the season's schedule so far, 12 different teams have had 100% sellouts this season. That's nearly half the league:

Blackhawks
    Maple Leafs
    Penguins
    Flyers
    Sharks
    Canucks
    Bruins
    Flames
    Oilers
    Canadiens
    Blues
    Capitals

And another six teams -- the Rangers, Sabres, Kings, Wild, Sens and Wings -- are selling at least 96% of their tickets.

Finally, a surprise appearance by Nashville at 93.4% and roughly 16,000 fans per game.

Putting all our normal attendance arguments aside, these are really strong numbers in a recession. Considering the way people talk about the NHL as having secondhand status these days, fully two-thirds of the league is doing very very well at the gate. Congrats to those teams!

2. Mr Atoz*

Mr Atoz* Guest

Except for the Penguins and Nashville, none of those other teams were ever in danger. The problem is the teams not on that list.

3. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

I didn't say they were ever in danger. They're doing well... good on them.

4. Franck

Franck eltiT resU motsuC

Bank robber
    That depends on how far back you are willing to go.

The Flames and the Oilers were both seen as more or less "dead" and ready for re-location in the years prior to the lock-out.
    In fact there was a lot of hockey people back then who thought that the Leafs and the Habs were the only Canadian teams that would have a long term future in the NHL.

5. GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian Registered User

Accountant
    With all the bad publicity the NHL got for teams that are struggling with attendance lately, it is nice to see that roughly 2/3rds of the league is running at very respectable capacities.

Good to see 5 of the 6 Canadian teams running at full capacity as well, and Ottawa at 96%. Not too shabby at all!!

:yo:

6. Jeffrey93

Jeffrey93 Registered User

This is indeed a good sign...and this is what Bettman depends on. So when asked about bad attendance he can say 'League attendance is up again this year!'

Not to detract from the kudos these markets deserve, but we all know they aren't the problem. There are a select few markets that are problematic. It is good to see Nashville up there in attendance...THAT is what is important.

7. Seth Lake

Seth Lake Registered User

Home Page:
    Tonight was Nashville's 6th sellout of the season. That sets an franchise record for the shortest time frame to reach 6 sellouts in a season even besting the expansion season!

The team is marketing very aggressively, but they are also really doing their best to use their marketing resources intelligently and get the most out of every dollar. Great interview with new Preds CEO Jeff Cogen in this past Sunday's paper...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...64/SPORTS02/Predators+Q&A+with+CEO+Jeff+Cogen

8. 19 others

19 others Registered User

I have noticed the Lightning have had some great attendances lately.

9. Ogopogo*

Ogopogo* Guest

That's not exactly accurate but, it is true that, without a salary cap, Toronto and Montreal were the only Canadian cities that could compete with New York etc.

10. BeachBolt

BeachBolt Registered User

Student

Doesn't mean it can't find it's niche in Florida (like most of the US), which I believe it has already successfully done in the Tampa community.

Old ownership pissed off a lot of fans, especially after the promising seasons surrounding the Stanley Cup season, when the Lightning were near the top in attendance for a handful of years. They really had a chance to do something awesome down here but turned the Stanley Cup champion into the worst team in the league within 3 seasons. Got us Stamkos and Hedman though, so it can't be all bad? :P

All that is in the past though and I am pretty happy with our fan base. It may not be the largest but we have a solid set of die hards here and a large number of casual fans as well, the hard part is turning those casual fans into season ticket holders or something of that sort but it will build over time. I am really looking forward to seeing what the new ownership and management have in store for us!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  11. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

I've got to say that I think Nashville has done things right. It looks to me like solid local ownership with a plan can make it work.

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Registered User

Nashville has leapfrogged Dallas in a big way.

13. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    Attendance is great but I wonder how much money they are making off ticket sales?

14. leoleo3535

leoleo3535 Registered User

I agree in many markets you almost get 2 free tickets to the game with a car wash!

15. Mayor Bee

Mayor Bee Registered User

I was in Nashville for the last few days and was in attendance for the game on the 28th against Dallas.

It was a true sellout and the crowd was pretty loud and spirited. A great time was had, and the team/city did a commendable job with the parking situation being what it is (largely under construction or being dug up around the arena).

16. htpwn

htpwn Registered User

I honestly don't know how much longer Toronto can keep doing this. This spring will be 6 seasons in which the team missed the playoffs and 7 years since a playoff game was last played in the city. That is the second longest drought in the league (behind the Panthers) and it is coupled with the longest cup drought lasting what will be 44 years. To add to the misery, the team finished 29th overall last year and is 28th this year with no signs of improvement in sight and no first round picks. Fans are frustrated and the question is whether tickets will stop being bought. The team has been booed regularly for the past three years, chants have started for Wilson's head, upper management is booed while walking down the street, and stuff is frequently thrown on the ice (the most famous of which has been waffles, although garbage and jerseys have also been reportedly been thrown as well). This is the worst the team has been since the 1980s, if not the worst it has been in its 93 year history, and whether us Leaf fans want to admit it or not, the team cannot sell out forever with these results.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  17. leoleo3535

leoleo3535 Registered User

There is no issue re if tickets will continue being bought.
    Every game is sold out.
    You cannot buy seasons tickets.
    You have to inherit/will seasons tickets.
    The franchise is the most valuable in the league.

18. Seth Lake

Seth Lake Registered User

Home Page:
    A look inside Nashville's numbers from the start of December...

http://mobile.ontheforecheck.com/2010/12/3/1853136/nashville-predators-paid-attendance-surge

19. htpwn

htpwn Registered User

I wasn't talking about the Leafs dropping down to Phoenix levels or anything like that, I was merely referring to their sell out streak ending. There are about 2000-3000 seats not owned by season ticket holders and at the highest ticket prices in the league, I think a non-sell out is definitely possible.

20. Tommy Hawk

Tommy Hawk Registered User

21. berklon

berklon Registered User

A non-sellout is possible... but I think it'll be negligible.

That's what happens when you under-supply the biggest hockey market in the world (Southern Ontario) people will over-pay to watch a crappy team play... or drive 5 hours to Ottawa or an hour to Buffalo and deal with border delays.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  22. jb**

jb** Guest

the numbers may say a sellout. Some may be others they can spin the numbers anyway they want. A lot of these arena's are plenty empty though. Therefore they are not getting the concession money they need and want.

23. frivolousz21

frivolousz21 Registered User

Out of the top 12?

who?

all of those teams play in front of packed houses nearly every night.

24. SwolePatrol

SwolePatrol Eberle=Clutch

We'd be able to boost an average attendance rating of roughly 97% if it wasnt for Florida, New york Islanders, Atlanta (who've been doing better recently), Columbus and those damn Coyotes.

Just move the teams north already and see the surprise attendance records that are set

25. 29dryden29

29dryden29 Registered User

Finance
    SLake i love the ticket prices damn I wish we could even get a snif of a game anywhere around here for those kinds of ticket prices. It costs me almost as much to go see the Knights play here in London as it did to go to see the HABS play in nashville last year.