Realistically who can challenge the Penguins?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
They are on a 6 game win streak and are slicing teams like a knife through butter. They are under Montreal for 2nd in the league. However, Montreal has Price at their core. The Pens have Sid,Malkin,Kessel,Letang. Sid has 21 in 23 and only had 1 point in a 7-0 win.

The whole team is strong, and their goal in training camp was to win the Stanley Cup again. If I was a betting person, I wouldn't bet against them from what I've seen so far.

Are there any teams that can realistically compete with the Pens for top dog in the league? Tampa got their ass handed to them in the 3rd last game and it shows that it is very hard to compete with this team for a full 60 minutes.

The Wild are the only team to beat them twice. But I don't see that as the SC matchup with Boudreau as Head Coach.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
They are on a 6 game win streak and are slicing teams like a knife through butter. They are under Montreal for 2nd in the league. However, Montreal has Price at their core. The Pens have Sid,Malkin,Kessel,Letang. Sid has 21 in 23 and only had 1 point in a 7-0 win.

The whole team is strong, and their goal in training camp was to win the Stanley Cup again. If I was a betting person, I wouldn't bet against them from what I've seen so far.

Are there any teams that can realistically compete with the Pens for top dog in the league? Tampa got their ass handed to them in the 3rd last game and it shows that it is very hard to compete with this team for a full 60 minutes.

The Wild are the only team to beat them twice. But I don't see that as the SC matchup with Boudreau as Head Coach.

Let me guess. Pens fan? Thought so. Anyway, Washington (once the PP gets going), Montreal, and others should keep it close. Pens haven't struck me as the top team so far. That seems to be MTL as of now, but that could change. NYR might be a challenger too. I can't think of the top western team. Usually that's Chicago, but I haven't paid too much attention to them yet, so idk.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pens is the top team, don't kid yourself

step above the rest

Vacheron

Dec 11, 2016
Let me guess. Pens fan? Thought so. Anyway, Washington (once the PP gets going), Montreal, and others should keep it close. Pens haven't struck me as the top team so far. That seems to be MTL as of now, but that could change. NYR might be a challenger too. I can't think of the top western team. Usually that's Chicago, but I haven't paid too much attention to them yet, so idk.

Our goaltending keeps us in games. The way the Blackhawks are playing now, no way they're beating the Pens in a 7 game series, but the Blackhawks don't play the same way in the postseason.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida

You do realize that Pittsburgh scored 3 power play goals to come back to win.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
They're picking up where they left off but it's a long season.

Pittsburgh came out of nowhere with how dominant they were to end the year and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen to another team.

I'm curious to see how Pittsburgh's defense holds up, it is easily the weakest part of the team and if the system shows any signs of slowing down, I think the defense will start to be exposed. The forwards do a terrific job of taking the pressure off the defense right now.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I currently think they're the best team in the league with Murray in net. A lot can change, but it looks like they're picking up where they left off. In some ways they look better.

There are plenty of teams capable of challenging the Pens though. A couple in the division.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
They are under Montreal for 2nd in the league. However, Montreal has Price at their core.

What does that even mean?

Does it mean that it doesn't count that Montreal is in first because they have Price?

Does it mean that Montreal's core is only Price?

illpucks

May 26, 2011

Does it mean that it doesn't count that Montreal is in first because they have Price?

With Price 10-1 win. Without Price 10-0 loss. Team is too reliant on Price which doesn't reflect well in a 7 game playoff series. Pens are more balanced.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Probably only a plucky young group of misfits who started out the season looking pitiful and with no sense of direction whatsoever but who come together under their grizzled but warm-hearted coach, even as he deals with his serious personal issues and finds redemption, to learn the timeless lesson of the amazing strength of teamwork and believing in each other, which propels them to an incredible run of wins and culminates in a storybook David-vs-Goliath victory that has everyone in the hockey world cheering through their tears.

Or the Rangers.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida

It means that Montreal's goalie core is only Price. An injury to him again and the season is over.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Can't have a perfect team in the cap era. There are several teams that can challenge the Pens.

Winning a 7 game series still takes some luck, the better team can easily lose in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad