Realistically who can challenge the Penguins?

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Pens biggest issue each year is being healthy. Seems like most seasons come playoff time they're missing multiple pieces. If they can stay healthy they are the clear favorite in my eyes

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'm gonna go with Columbus.

December 22nd date for the first meeting between the two this season.
Gonna be interesting for sure.

Super impressive what Columbus have going on, and they look more than likely to lead the league when catching up on games.... Two points down on Montreal with two games in hand - provided they hang on to win at Edmonton (3-1 up now).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens are my pick as best team in the league. But there are plenty of teams that could realistically beat them. Just in the east there's the Rangers, Tampa, Caps, Columbus and maybe Montreal or Philly even. Would I bet on those teams over the Pens? No. Would the Pens have an easy series against any of them? Probably not.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Probably only a plucky young group of misfits who started out the season looking pitiful and with no sense of direction whatsoever but who come together under their grizzled but warm-hearted coach, even as he deals with his serious personal issues and finds redemption, to learn the timeless lesson of the amazing strength of teamwork and believing in each other, which propels them to an incredible run of wins and culminates in a storybook David-vs-Goliath victory that has everyone in the hockey world cheering through their tears.

Or the Rangers.

I shed a tear. When do we go into pre-production?

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Minnesota has been good against the Pens over the last few years and has already beaten them in both games this season, one of which was a domination. Koivu seems to be able to shut down Crosby on a pretty consistent basis. Wild probably aren't making it to the cup finals though.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Lots of teams can beat them. Habs, caps, jackets, flyers, Rangers, Hawks and Tampa if they get back on track, all have a realistic shot at beating them. The capitals and lightning were very close to beating them in the playoffs. Anything can happen in a playoff series.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Minnesota has been good against the Pens over the last few years and has already beaten them in both games this season, one of which was a domination. Wild probably aren't making it to the cup finals though.

I wish Fleury wasn't in goal in those games. I'd like to see how Murray might have possibly changed those games.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I can think of 7 teams that would stand a legit chance if fully healthy of beating them in a 7 game series:

Lightning
Canadians
Capitals
Rangers
Blackhawks
Blues
Sharks

Not saying the Pens wouldn't still be favorites, but against any of those teams its not like it would be easy.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
With Price 10-1 win. Without Price 10-0 loss. Team is too reliant on Price which doesn't reflect well in a 7 game playoff series. Pens are more balanced.

I tell you what, I won't be dismissive of the Pens record, and their Stanley Cup win, if you are not dismissive of the Canadiens' record.

Crosby, commonly referred to as the best player in the world, is part of the Pens as Price is part of the Canadiens.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Penguins?

Who knows, it's December lol.

I'm not ready to hand the Cup over to the Pens, like some are.

I think we are better equipped to beat the Pens this season, if Hank can get his game back in order. The rest of our team is better, if half the team isn't injured.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I think we are better equipped to beat the Pens this season, if Hank can get his game back in order. The rest of our team is better, if half the team isn't injured.
If the playoffs started today and we are healthy, yeah we'd have a better chance. Was more talking about the teams that could beat the Rangers comment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That's hilarious, the Penguins forwards would embarrass the Rangers defense as long as Girardi and Staal are playing.

To answer the OP, I think the Lightning are the main team from the East that can challenge the Penguins. Each other team in the East has one glaring flaw that prevents me from thinking that the Penguins couldn't beat them in a series. If the Penguins defense gets back to the level of where they were last year, I'd be hard pressed to find a team that would be favorites against them. The Penguins top-4 has struggled overall this year and Fleury has been a mess, yet they still have the 3rd highest winning% in hockey.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That's hilarious, the Penguins forwards would embarrass the Rangers defense as long as Girardi and Staal are playing.

To answer the OP, I think the Lightning are the main team from the East that can challenge the Penguins. Each other team in the East has one glaring flaw that prevents me from thinking that the Penguins couldn't beat them in a series. If the Penguins defense gets back to the level of where they were last year, I'd be hard pressed to find a team that would be favorites against them.
think he means we're better than last year, but you're still right lol. Skjei has softened the blow of losing Yandle, and Holden has been...O-K, and the forwards have been helping out on defense a lot more this year, but the same central weakness is still there.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If pens are on top of their game..nobody. But anything can happen in the playoffs. If a team gets hot down the stretch like the pens did last year, and get a few breaks here and there go their way in a series against the pens they could take it.

They're the best team but doesnt mean they will win it all again. There's a reason its so hard to win back to back. Last year the caps could've beaten us(that series was tougher than the lightning even tho that went 7) , we'll see what happens this time around. Still too far away...and who knows with injuries. Pittsburgh fans of every sport don't count on anything before it happens, considering the horrible luck with serious injuries at the worst times over the years.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
They are far and away the top contender right now and it's really not close.

If they come into the playoffs healthy you'd be crazy not to bet on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad