Realistically who can challenge the Penguins?

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
This thread kind of sleeps on the Hawks. We have minor health problems, but everyone should be 100% by the playoffs. Caps look pretty good too. Its not like the Pens have an easy road to the SCF. Hawk's look like we have a relatively easy road (sorry Minny.)

I don't think the Pens are the team in the East best equipped for the Hawks. I'd rather see them than Columbus or Washington if I'm being honest.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This thread kind of sleeps on the Hawks. We have minor health problems, but everyone should be 100% by the playoffs. Caps look pretty good too. Its not like the Pens have an easy road to the SCF. Hawk's look like we have a relatively easy road (sorry Minny.)

I don't think the Pens are the team in the East best equipped for the Hawks. I'd rather see them than Columbus or Washington if I'm being honest.

You're nuts. There's nothing the Blackhawks have more trouble with than straight up speed. Add the skill that the Pens can play with at speed, and they are a nightmare matchup.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

The Hawks are just a worse version of the Pens, I'm not worried about them at all.

The Wild are the only team that scares me out west.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
[/b]

You're nuts. There's nothing the Blackhawks have more trouble with than straight up speed. Add the skill that the Pens can play with at speed, and they are a nightmare matchup.

I think we trade chances with the best of them. What worries me are teams that jam up the neutral zone and take away space at the blue-line. I'll take the injury-riddled back-end of the Penguins over either of the other two I mentioned. I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but a trapping Columbus team with Bob in the net is way more scary to me.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
The Hawks are just a worse version of the Pens, I'm not worried about them at all.

The Wild are the only team that scares me out west.

I have no idea who would win in the Hawks vs the Pens... but this is just stupid. The Hawks are a very different team from the Penguins. They are a much better defensive team, while the Penguins have the better offense

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I have no idea who would win in the Hawks vs the Pens... but this is just stupid. The Hawks are a very different team from the Penguins. They are a much better defensive team, while the Penguins have the better offense

Yep Hawks have 3 cups in 7 years, Pens have got 1 cup in 7 years. Pretty sure our Pens should worry about them, they still ripe for another cup.

naustic

Jun 22, 2006
There are so many things that need to go right to win the cup and almost no team wins it without a few lucky bounces, momentum, good goaltending, etc. The penguins have put themselves in a great position to take another run at the championship. There are several teams who have also set themselves up in great position to contend. It should be a helluva playoffs 2017.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ever since Flyers went down the ranks, Pens have had it easy in the playoffs...that'll be changing soon.

Uh, the Pens smacked the Flyers around on the way to their cup in '09.

Flyers beat them one whole time since then in the playoffs. Rangers at least beat them twice.

Pens also have Sullivan as a coach, not Bylsma.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
They were certainly challenged for three rounds. Who would have thought that Ottawa would come closest to knocking them off?

Funny how this game works sometimes, but that's why we watch.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Once Crosby and Malkin get a whee bit older, father time is going to start hurting the Pen's bad.

For now, few teams are as good as the Pens.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
If Letang returns to 100% the Penguins add a #1 Defenceman to a cup-winning roster for next season. They are going to be a favourite again next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad