Realistically, Which Calibre Of Centre Will Matthews Become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I agree very possible and probably will happen but as of yet no. To say he is a poor mans Matthews now is an insult to us Kings fans and Kopitar a future Hall of Famer .

Matthews as of today is already better than Kopitar. When Matthews is a 10 year vet, Kopitar’s accomplishments will pretty much be garbage compared to Matthews’.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You dont really believe that do you?
If he does it says a lot about his ability to assess the game of hockey.

I'm sorry but anybody who has watched these two players consistently should be able to see that Matthews has a much bigger impact when he plays than Laine does. Laine is a better pure shooter and that's really it. Could that change? Maybe, but right now Matthews is clearly the better player.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews as of today is already better than Kopitar. When Matthews is a 10 year vet, Kopitar’s accomplishments will pretty much be garbage compared to Matthews’.

Offensively, for sure. Matthews is already a top 3 impact player in the league.

When you take everything into account, they're pretty close.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Yikes he has a long way to go before this happening. I think Matthews as that Malkin-lite game changing ability and I know it will be hard to surpass him though but it's not impossible IMO. As much as it pains me to admit Matthews is one the best goal scorer in the league and he is only 21. PS : I am not a leafs hater, I just don't like some of their fans :p:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I'm sorry but anybody who has watched these two players consistently should be able to see that Matthews has a much bigger impact when he plays than Laine does. Laine is a better pure shooter and that's really it. Could that change? Maybe, but right now Matthews is clearly the better player.

Nope, just pointing out the massive flaw in one posters goals > assists argument to explain how a 69pt player on an offensive team is better than a 81pt player on a defensive team with selke level defensive play

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

If it wasn't for the way Laine can shot the puck he wouldn't be known for anything else.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

How? Kopi out produced him last year and plays a way better defensive game. Maybe you should wait until Matthews actually wins something before saying that 2 cups and 2 selkes are garbage accomplishments. Hell lets wait until he actually makes it out the first round for starters.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Nope, just pointing out the massive flaw in one posters goals > assists argument to explain how a 69pt player on an offensive team is better than a 81pt player on a defensive team with selke level defensive play

That wasn't about you, poster I quoted was talking about another.

If it wasn't for the way Laine can shot the puck he wouldn't be known for anything else.

Not sure about that, Laine is a very accurate passer and is a really good stick handler, he's also an absolute unit.

His shot definitely helps in making him such a unique player though.

Reactions: Narow

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Offensively, for sure. Matthews is already a top 3 impact player in the league.

When you take everything into account, they're pretty close.

How can you say this with a straight face? Top 3 offensively in the league when even if you use "pace" for games missed last year the will still not top 5 in points? He would not even be top 10.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure about that, Laine is a very accurate passer and is a really good stick handler, he's also an absolute unit.

His shot definitely helps in making him such a unique player though.
I agree his shot is amazing, however to me it's no different than Ovechkin's shot and he does a lot more than just stand in the same spot waiting for his one timer. At least with Matthews he goes to the front of the net and other things to create offense.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Matthews is a great player but a lot of that is his shot as well.

It’s kind of ironic.

I’m not sure why it’s an insult to give credit for one of the most important qualities of a great hockey player.

What would Joe Sakic be like without his shot?

I just find it bizarre.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
How can you say this with a straight face? Top 3 offensively in the league when even if you use "pace" for games missed last year the will still not top 5 in points? He would not even be top 10.
No doubt. He has not even finished in the top 20 in points per game or scoring yet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is a great player but a lot of that is his shot as well.

It’s kind of ironic.

I’m not sure why it’s an insult to give credit for one of the most important qualities of a great hockey player.
Matthews is still known for a lot more than just how good his shot is.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree his shot is amazing, however to me it's no different than Ovechkin's shot and he does a lot more than just stand in the same spot waiting for his one timer. At least with Matthews he goes to the front of the net and other things to create offense.

He’s a winger.

Matthews is a center.

You might as well say that Hainsey does more on the defensive side of the game than Matthews does.

It’s an apples and oranges comparison.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He doesn’t skate like McDavid.

He doesn’t stick handle like Kane.

He doesn’t hit like Benn.

He’s not one dimensional but that dimension helps a great deal.
Matthews did work a lot in the offseason on his skating and seemed faster during the preseason, along with this past Wednesday during their home opener.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
He doesn’t skate like McDavid.

He doesn’t stick handle like Kane.

He doesn’t hit like Benn.

He’s not one dimensional but that dimension helps a great deal.
I think you're misattributing his lack of stick-handling throughout the game as being not as skilled as Kane. Kane has already alluded that Matthews hands are better than his. Matthews is just a very economical player who doesn't always need to stick-handle his way into the offensive zone. A lot of us have seen him escape from three players with the puck on a rope; he's ridiculous, but rarely needs to use a bunch of dekes to make his next play.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think you're misattributing his lack of stick-handling throughout the game as being not as skilled as Kane. Kane has already alluded that Matthews hands are better than his. Matthews is just a very economical player who doesn't always need to stick-handle his way into the offensive zone. A lot of us have seen him escape from three players with the puck on a rope; he's ridiculous, but rarely needs to use a bunch of dekes to make his next play.

Well he sounds pretty perfect.

My mistake.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

2 cups and a Selke are never to be overlooked. Ever.

I wouldn’t trade Matthews for anyone outside of McDavid right now, mostly due to his potential combined with what he constantly shows us he can do, but also due to age.

It’s not that he’s the 2nd best player today, but Sidney is no spring chicken, the other top 10 players aren’t just now legal to drink in the US, and those who are aren’t looking likely to be better than Auston looks likely to become.

Eichel will be right there though. Laine looks amazing and will win a few trophies himself.

However, Matthews looks like a perennial contender for the Richard and finalist for the Hart.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Matthews is still known for a lot more than just how good his shot is.

Personality isent one of them ;);););) jk jk

Real question tho. Is laine really only all shot and nothing else in your opinion?

On topic.

Matthews can likely become malkin level player meaning potential to be the best of best like malkin had at sone points. Altho like like crosby mcdavid is in the way.

Should be a huge season for matty.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Personality isent one of them ;);););) jk jk

Real question tho. Is laine really only all shot and nothing else in your opinion?

On topic.

Matthews can likely become malkin level player meaning potential to be the best of best like malkin had at sone points. Altho like like crosby mcdavid is in the way.

Should be a huge season for matty.
Nah, Laine isn't all shot. He has good vision and his shot opens up a lot of room for everyone else on the ice, making room for him to highlight his play-making abilities. The size is a big advantage, but of course, he needs to learn to use it a little more. About the only major weaknesses he's dealing with are his acceleration / foot speed, and positioning in the defensive end. He had marginal impact defensively in his first two years, so that's something he can improve on. He will never be Ovechkin, but he reminds me quite a bit of Heatley in his prime before he turned into a shadow.

Reactions: Narow

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
How? Kopi out produced him last year and plays a way better defensive game. Maybe you should wait until Matthews actually wins something before saying that 2 cups and 2 selkes are garbage accomplishments. Hell lets wait until he actually makes it out the first round for starters.
Hockey is a team sport, unless you want everyone to start holding McDavid accountable for not being able to lead his team to the playoffs.

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad