Realistically, Which Calibre Of Centre Will Matthews Become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Last I checked 44 is more than 34? And if you're using pace, Laine was on pace for even more goals than Matthews in their rookie year.

So again, Laine > Matthews?
So essentially almost the exact same amount of goals except Matthews has more assists?

Didn't say assists were valueless, just less valuable than goals.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
You do remember Laine missed 8 or 9 games in his rookie season with a concussion and it could easily happen again if he doesn't keep his head up. Plus that same season Matthews played all 82 games, so it's not fair saying Laine is more durable and Matthews is not.

And Matthews missed 20 games last year... he could easily collide with more teammates and get injured again if he doesn't keep his head up.

Laine > Matthews. Sorry to say Leafs fans.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Laine vs Matthews again? ^^^^^

This has already been settled lol compare Laine to somebody else.

I see Matty becoming the second best player behind McDavid. This kid is beyond special, even when not being deployed properly last year Mr. Babcock.

My only hesitation is health, and not because I think he is injury prone, but he had a few health issues last year.

This year he looks faster, stronger, shoots even harder, and looks to be a monster all 200 feet, plus his playmaking looks unreal. Plus with his size....

This is a damn special player.

I actually think the 3 best young players going forward are

McDavid
Matty
Eichel (So many people don't understand the insane skill this guy has, probably more physically gifted than the other two)

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
And Matthews missed 20 games last year... he could easily collide with more teammates and get injured again if he doesn't keep his head up.

Laine > Matthews. Sorry to say Leafs fans.
You dont really believe that do you?

Fenrirson

Sep 17, 2018
Let's be reality, Matthews is already top 5 or 10 center. He's trending to outgrow the latter.

You don't have to like the leafs to know there's some skills there, he's easily one of the most entertaining players in the league anyway and closing in on face of the sport.

McDavid is better, but Matthews is a Leaf.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Well Matthews is already the best 5v5 goal scorer in the NHL and hasn't hit his prime yet. This is the first season he is on the top power play unit and so we can expect a sharp increase in his totals, unless he declines. So far that seems unlikely. He's Malkin level without a doubt in my mind. To me the only objectively better players are Crosby and McDavid.

Reactions: OVO16

Broadslayer

Oct 4, 2018
He’ll be the second best player in the league behind McDavid. I’d say even right now he’d cost the second most to acquire in a highly unlikely/fantasy/hypothetical trade.

He’s the sole reason his team’s fans have a battery in their back these days. Pretty quiet before that.

Reactions: OVO16

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Laine vs Matthews again? ^^^^^

This has already been settled lol compare Laine to somebody else.

I see Matty becoming the second best player behind McDavid. This kid is beyond special, even when not being deployed properly last year Mr. Babcock.

My only hesitation is health, and not because I think he is injury prone, but he had a few health issues last year.

This year he looks faster, stronger, shoots even harder, and looks to be a monster all 200 feet, plus his playmaking looks unreal. Plus with his size....

This is a damn special player.

I actually think the 3 best young players going forward are

McDavid
Matty
Eichel (So many people don't understand the insane skill this guy has, probably more physically gifted than the other two)

It’s all true.

This.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Mathews truly is spectacular. There's no other way around it. I think even leaf haters can acknowledge just how special this kid is and is going to be

His skill level is something I haven't seen in a Leafs uniform ever. Like my bio says, Auston Mathews has me shook every night.

I understand Leaf fans tend to overrate and overhype a lot of their players (which Is true)....but if there's one player that warrants the hype and more...its Mathews. So I apologize to every other fanbase in advance for the next 10 years

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

You’ll probably hate me after this but before I write it do know I like the jets and think scheifele is the guy to talk about.

I know Laine is young and the goal potential looks really cool but if I’m a jets fan I’d be bragging about three maybe four other guys more. Well not bragging but defending.

Anders lee also puts up 40 goals and similar overall point totals. Both guys have low Assists, laine has more talented players around him and will be a lot better for sure.

But there’s more to hockey then playing on the best top six, scoring half your goals on the PP with elite playmakers.

LAine was a perfect fit for the jets. He suits a team like that perfectly. If laine was on say buffalo. I don’t even want to think how he would do.

That’s why eichel mcdavid Matthews are ahead.

Well because they’re all franchise centres too and captains (future captain)

Would lAine have 121 pts in his last 129 games on buffalo like eichel has? Think about it? With girgensens Rodrigues and an old pominville feeding him? He’d still score thirty probably but if he only got 26 assists in 82 games what’s he going to get with them? 14? That means he’d have 45 pts.

Would he have a point per game on the leafs? This is possible because the leafs have marner and Tavares but before if Maine was with Hyman and nylander would laine put up his totals?

No one is saying Laine is bad he’s top ten young player and top 3 shooter scorer. Maybe too two.

Damn impressive but it’s his only real skill set.

Reactions: DanM

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Would he have a point per game on the leafs? This is possible because the leafs have marner and Tavares but before if Maine was with Hyman and nylander would laine put up his totals?
Maybe it's not the best example to use but even if Laine was on the Leafs instead of Matthews, there is no guarantee Babcock would have him on the on the same line with Nylander and Hyman. I only say that because last season when Matthews was injured they tried playing Nylander at centre and eventually Babcock moved him back to the wing. So it's the only small sample size example I know of with Nylander when he played centre. Plus if we are to assume that Tavares still signs in Toronto we know for a fact that Babcock made the new line of Tavares, Marner and Hyman which he announced on July 1 when Tavares officially signed.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe it's not the best example to use but even if Laine was on the Leafs instead of Matthews, there is no guarantee Babcock would have him on the on the same line with Nylander and Hyman. I only say that because last season when Matthews was injured they tried playing Nylander at centre and eventually Babcock moved him back to the wing. So it's the only small sample size example I know of with Nylander when he played centre. Plus if we are to assume that Tavares still signs in Toronto we know for a fact that Babcock made the new line of Tavares, Marner and Hyman which he announced on July 1 when Tavares officially signed.
we also know Laine would have his PP time slashed under Babcock. Which, for a player like Laine, is a big hit to the stats.

Longer term, he'd probably also learn to be a better player though.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
we also know Laine would have his PP time slashed under Babcock. Which, for a player like Laine, is a big hit to the stats.

Longer term, he'd probably also learn to be a better player though.

Would he be playing more 5v5 tho? Last season he had only like 16,5 minutes average playtime...slash pp of that...? He still hit 44 goals with that ^^ (16.5)

For the other arguments of laine on other teams...lets play this hypothetical game.

Laine on the sabres. His goalscoring ability would definatly help out and if he developed similarly as on the jets becoming a positive cf player in addition to his high GF% stats hed improve that team :)

On the leafs hed struggle more i think but hed likely play with marner....yeah marner passing to laine. I think the leafs would be worse of than now as matthews allows a whole new top line be created but leafa wouldnt be a bottom team with laine either.

Now what is his icetime on either team? Also both teams pp instantly becomes good (if it wasent allready)

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Would he be playing more 5v5 tho? Last season he had only like 16,5 minutes average playtime...slash pp of that...? He still hit 44 goals with that ^^

For the other arguments of laine on other teams...lets play this hypothetical game.

Laine on the sabres. His goalscoring ability would definatly help out and if he developed similarly as on the jets becoming a positive cf player in addition to his high GF% stats hed improve that team :)

On the leafs hed struggle more i think but hed likely play with marner....yeah marner passing to laine. I think the leafs would be worse of than now as matthews allows a whole new top line be created but leafa wouldnt be a bottom team with laine either.

Now what is his icetime on either team? Also both teams pp instantly becomes good (if it wasent allready)

i don't know, would he better off with Marner than Wheeler?

yeah, we can play the hypothetical game all day long.

This year, I think Babcock loads up one pp line, with Matthews and Tavares. And i suspect you're gonna see Matthews score a LOT of goals and a LOT of points, with that extra PP time. I think he hits about 50 goals 100 points. In that region anyway.

I just want them to sign his new contract NOW.....

Reactions: LeafsNation75

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If he wins a Cup, Messier tier. If not...he'll be remembered as one of those elite players who just never got it done. Long career ahead of him to take some good runs at it, and should be in a good situation to have every advantage in trying to get it done.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since both Marner and Laine play right wing can you see a situation where one of them would play left wing if they were to be on a fictional line together or wouldn't they just play on different lines?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

This year, I think Babcock loads up one pp line, with Matthews and Tavares. And i suspect you're gonna see Matthews score a LOT of goals and a LOT of points, with that extra PP time. I think he hits about 50 goals 100 points. In that region anyway.

I think it was the Tavares signing that convinced Babcock to put Matthews, Tavares and Marner on the same power play line together.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Would he be playing more 5v5 tho? Last season he had only like 16,5 minutes average playtime...slash pp of that...? He still hit 44 goals with that ^^ (16.5)

Did you just say Laine would have more goals playing with girgensens and pominville on the 173 goal sabres (without eichel) then on the jets with the powerhouse top six.

Keep dreaming.

Eichels not even a goal scorer and had just two less even strength goals then laine last year and he had 13 more Assists in 15 less games! On a team that literally scored a hundred less goals.

Oh but laine would just be amazing on that team.

Give me a break. He had one good thing his shot.

Eichels a better playmaker, skater, stick-handler and in transition but go ahead and quote Corsi why don’t u add plus minus while your at it with the jets and there cozullian goals in the pluses and the sabres in the minus.

Jets fans watch less eichel then leaf fans! Lol leaf fans At least see him a few times a year I live in Canada, I watch both jets and leafs, there is NO comparison between Laine and the centres. none. Just his goals. But like I said about Andrea lee who has similar goal and assist totals that can be done.

Laine was put in a easy position as a winger on a stacked team. Way better position to be in then any of the big three.

laine can shoot the puck. There is NO comparison.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

At 5v5 he would of as he doesnt play with wheeler 5v5 sadly. On the pp i think it would be pretty much same thing maybe even better with marner. Wheeler had a career year with laine on the pp.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Since both Marner and Laine play right wing can you see a situation where one of them would play left wing if they were to be on a fictional line together or wouldn't they just play on different lines?
Laine is a left wing originally. He was tried out there to start his nhl career but having to pass on his backhand was likely why he was switched to right. He still goes over to leftwing in the offensive zone tho.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Did you just say Laine would have more goals playing with girgensens and pominville on the 173 goal sabres (without eichel) then on the jets with the powerhouse top six.

Keep dreaming.

Eichels not even a goal scorer and had just two less even strength goals then laine last year and he had 13 more Assists in 15 less games! On a team that literally scored a hundred less goals.

Oh but laine would just be amazing on that team.

Give me a break. He had one good thing his shot.

Eichels a better playmaker, skater, stick-handler and in transition but go ahead and quote Corsi why don’t u add plus minus while your at it with the jets and there cozullian goals in the pluses and the sabres in the minus.

Jets fans watch less eichel then leaf fans! Lol leaf fans At least see him a few times a year I live in Canada, I watch both jets and leafs, there is NO comparison between Laine and the centres. none. Just his goals. But like I said about Andrea lee who has similar goal and assist totals that can be done.

Laine was put in a easy position as a winger on a stacked team. Way better position to be in then any of the big three.

laine can shoot the puck. There is NO comparison.

No...what i was saying was that sabres wouldnt be a 173 goal team with laine ;)

To point out how ridiculous hypotheticals are.

We will never know. What i do know is that if your team had laine on it youd be way more high on him.

And if laine only has the shot according to you you obviously dont watch him just like you clain others dont see eichel.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, 3 of those rookies had 60-point seasons.

Are you going to try to selectively leave out important information to try to make your point too?

Yes, they started on worse teams. Unquestionably so. Crosby and Ovechkin played on teams that only had 1 player with 60 or more points(it was them, in both cases), and they finished 40+ points up on the 2nd ranked guy. The fact you're even trying to suggest it's a question is laughable, and incredibly ignorant.

Since you are from this quote apparently the great justice fighter:

"These attempts to selectively leave out important information to try to prop up an argument needs to stop. Really, it does. It's a garbage approach. It shows that you aren't interested in honesty, so long as it makes your player look better. "

then maybe we would point out that the team Crosby started out on featured 7 players that produced at o.7 points per game played or greater, one more than the Leafs. Of course nobody on the Leafs hit 0.8 or greater while 5 players on the Pens would be at 0.85 or greater.

The Pens problem was injuries but that roster featured Mario Lemieux, Mark Recchi, John Leclair, Sergei Gonchar, Zigmund Palffy.......

So maybe before you play your little card in the quote above, you should heed your own advice.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You missed the point entirely, and used the same excuses he used.

Laine scored less his rookie year because of injury, Matthews scored less last year because of injury.

If you're using pace, Laine scores more.

So to his point, Laine > Matthews, right?

If you are talking games played over two seasons, Matthews scores more on pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad