Realistically, how do you fix this team

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
How do we know this?

It's nothing against the city, the coaches or teammates. He's just tired of losing and can't take it anymore.

I've heard him speaking here in Montreal to local medias during the past 2 summers and it's easy to read between the lines: there's is no he's going to waste his prime years playing for a losing organization.

Can't blame him. On the other hand, I don't like how he sounds. I mean...he's never talking like he's part of the solution. He doesn't talk like a leader.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's nothing against the city, the coaches or teammates. He's just tired of losing and can't take it anymore.

I've heard him speaking here in Montreal to local medias during the past 2 summers and it's easy to read between the lines: there's is no he's going to waste his prime years playing for a losing organization.

Can't blame him. On the other hand, I don't like how he sounds. I mean...he's never talking like he's part of the solution. He doesn't talk like a leader.
Yeah, he could leave the Panthers and go to a winning situation like the one in Montreal, right?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I've seen Huby hanging his head on the bench this year and I've never seen him do that before. I don't think it's a secret at this point he's fed up with losing and I could see the complete failure this year, after huge expectations, be the last nail in the coffin for him. And I don't blame him if that's the case. This year has been another disaster after a long line of other disasters that he's seen with this organization.

The good news is he's probably at his peak right now and will fetch a huge return if traded. Three more years at 5.9 million cap hit and a top 10-15 winger in the game.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think the expanded playoff is going to be a huge tell to whose fed up with losing or not. Whether the Panthers even lose or not is yet to be seen.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

That's the impression I got... This might not be a fair comparison, but I think it is telling that Barky and Ekky stayed in Florida for quarantine while Huberdeau left...he just seems less excited/invested recently. Totally fair: he is a superstar who is not treated as one either here or in Canada. Like, I noticed that most 2022 Olympic roster projections for Team Canada have him on the top line, but the general respect is not there.

With that in mind, maybe a bit of winning will help, but I am not sure. It is part of the reason why I want to make sure that Barky is happy as possible with who we acquire so he stays engaged

?

What has Montreal to do with it?

You're from Quebec: either you want to steal our Francophone players or...you want to steal our club ;)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
That's the impression I got... This might not be a fair comparison, but I think it is telling that Barky and Ekky stayed in Florida for quarantine while Huberdeau left...he just seems less excited/invested recently. Totally fair: he is a superstar who is not treated as one either here or in Canada. Like, I noticed that most 2022 Olympic roster projections for Team Canada have him on the top line, but the general respect is not there.
Lots of players around the league left to their summer/family area, so we can't single out Huberdeau.

I actually think Barkov stayed because he's talked often over the years about becoming more independent, learning to cook properly himself, etc. His mom was there the first 2-3 years, then he's had a revolving door of girlfriends around for most of the time. No childhood friends to bother him like he'd have in Tampere, so he can fully focus on the things he wants to do. :dunno:

Reactions: Cold Cat

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Lots of players around the league left to their summer/family area, so we can't single out Huberdeau.

I actually think Barkov stayed because he's talked often over the years about becoming more independent, learning to cook properly himself, etc. His mom was there the first 2-3 years, then he's had a revolving door of girlfriends around for most of the time. No childhood friends to bother him like he'd have in Tampere, so he can fully focus on the things he wants to do. :dunno:

The Jagr life/effect

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

I think it's fair to say that. I wasn't sure if I should post that comment, but I do feel there is some revealed preference though. [Unrelatedly do we know if Huby is back in South Florida? I haven't seen anything]

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
That doesn't mean he wants to specifically go to Montreal.
Maybe, but it’s not like other options were specifically offered.

The bigger point being, is Huberdeau a top player or not? If he is, he’ll stop whining and work on winning. The differences between teams and players and indeed every play on ice are between small and tiny. But the difference makers take those small differences and make them look bigger than they are. Make themselves more dominant than they are on paper.

If Hubie can’t bring a winning attitude to the situation he’s ended up in, where will he do so? If he says that he needs a “real team”, that means he’s admitting he’s not a difference maker. That’s the bigger point. My snark about Montreal was really about this. Always looking for greener grass? Who would have wanted to be traded to the Blues on January 1, 2019? Nobody.

Can the Panthers win the Stanley Cup this year? Yes. Of course they CAN. Will they? Hubie is one of the key players who has to answer that.

Reactions: PSLguy and Cold Cat

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
If this core can't make it through the 1st round (play-in and 1st) time to trade away another core piece. I'd offer up Ekblad or Huberdeau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad