Realistically, how do you fix this team

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Do you guys think Pysyk resigns? I can't imagine him getting the same numbers on his next contract but he did seem pretty useful as a W and that versatility is a plus.
I would 100% take him back as a 4th line wing, he is really solid. I dont see any versatility, he is shit on d

Reactions: Cold Cat

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
He was solid on the 4th line for sure, but since we already know vatrano, wallmark, and Acciari will be in our bottom-6 and I’m really hoping to round out those remaining spots with some more grit and physicality in this lineup. Acciari and vatrano bring that but we need more than just them.

barkov, huberdeau, Connolly, Tippett, and either Denisenko or one of hoffman/Dadonov will make up five of six spots in the top-6. We’ll only be adding one, most likely a center, which could be resigning haula, so the mystery is more with how we fill out the bottom-6, mostly the 4th line.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He was solid on the 4th line for sure, but since we already know vatrano, wallmark, and Acciari will be in our bottom-6 and I’m really hoping to round out those remaining spots with some more grit and physicality in this lineup. Acciari and vatrano bring that but we need more than just them.

Yeah I agree, get some sandpaper on this team. If Pysyk takes league minimum then fine but tbh couldn't care less. He's another guy like Yandle who doesn't pay the price to win. Has fun on the ice though.

BarkyRatter

Oct 2, 2015
I think the versatility of Pysyk is very good, especially when he can play D when we’re on PK (so if 3 D-pairs are rolling, you don’t have to play Yands).

However more physicality is also needed, I’m deeply saddened that Hawryluk didn’t turn out like I thought (as a Dave Bolland kind of guy in SC playoffs with grit and annoyance, I hope his career turns around whereever he plays)

A few years back my dreamlineups for this season included players such as Howden, Grimaldi, Pirri, Crouse, Gritty Olsen... Even (who I thought would be our 2nd pair D among with Matheson) McCoshen was traded away. Too bad these guys just don’t work with Panthers (and many of them didn’t work out with other teams either).

I just get all the time attached to our prospescts, but I think it’s time to stop. Heck, I’ve watched the 3 good highlights videos about Borgström in YouTube over 100 times hoping he would transform his magic and baller ass moves to NHL.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Huberdeau-Barkov-Tippett
Denisenko-???-Dadonov
Vatrano-Acciari-Connolly
???-Wallmark-???

I wouldn’t be surprised if they resign either Hoffman of Dadonov but assuming the resign one, dads may come in cheaper, can play on the first, or play with Denisenko (fellow Russian) when he makes it fulltime (potentially next season). I wouldn’t want two rookies to be playing on the same line in the top-6 together. At least not at first. Biggest question mark is 2nd line center and rounding out the 4th line. More likely, only two of Tippett, Denisenko, Hoffman/dadonov will be in the lineup next season, leaving wallmark as the 3rd line center. But I like to dream of depth for this team. I’d look at either maroon or Matt Martin to play on the 4th, trade or buyout sceviour (doesn’t do anything for me), ideally bring Frolik back on a cheap deal but that realistically won’t happen, more likely a Trevor Lewis type

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
An immodest proposal. Suppose we don't do well in the play-in series and some of the rumors that Huby aren't happy prove to be true. I propose the following trade:

Jets: Huby

Panthers: Laine

Why for the Jets? They get one of the best contracts in the league 5.9M until 2023, while adding a bona-fida star. He is a bit older than Laine, but on the flip side seems to be more of a talent right now.

Why for the Panthers? Well, Huby isn't happy and he isn't on team control for long. With Laine, we have the leverage for a long-term deal, plus I think he would work well with Barky personally and professionally. Plus, I think Laine is one of the only players that would not anger Barkov if we give Huby up for.

I think there will need be some adjustments on both sides, but I am not sure which way to tilt it :) Thoughts as a base?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
An immodest proposal. Suppose we don't do well in the play-in series and some of the rumors that Huby aren't happy prove to be true. I propose the following trade:

Why for the Jets? They get one of the best contracts in the league 5.9M until 2023, while adding a bona-fida star. He is a bit older than Laine, but on the flip side seems to be more of a talent right now.

Why for the Panthers? Well, Huby isn't happy and he isn't on team control for long. With Laine, we have the leverage for a long-term deal, plus I think he would work well with Barky personally and professionally. Plus, I think Laine is one of the only players that would not anger Barkov if we give Huby up for.

I think there will need be some adjustments on both sides, but I am not sure which way to tilt it :) Thoughts as a base?

In theory, it's a decent idea but if we trade Huberdeau, I'd like a younger #2C or #3/4D with term + a good prospect/1st. Huby would have 3 years left if moved this off-season so we better get a big return.

I get both Barky and Laine are BFF but we have Tippett who I feel could produce similar numbers if paired with Barkov.
Also I think Jets are all but set at LW but don't get me wrong, they could move some of their other LWs and have arguably two of the best LWs in Huby and Connor
Think the Jets need a legit 2C as well.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
In theory, it's a decent idea but if we trade Huberdeau, I'd like a younger #2C or #3/4D with term + a good prospect/1st. Huby would have 3 years left if moved this off-season so we better get a big return.

I get both Barky and Laine are BFF but we have Tippett who I feel could produce similar numbers if paired with Barkov.
Also I think Jets are all but set at LW but don't get me wrong, they could move some of their other LWs and have arguably two of the best LWs in Huby and Connor
Think the Jets need a legit 2C as well.
Ah for me, I only want top end talent: if we give up Huby, only Barky can take over games, which Laine brings.

Good point on Jets perspective: I assumed they'd like the top-end potential that Huby brings, but good point!

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think a player's salary is very important. Huby is locked in for a few more years at a reasonable rate, and consistently produces.
With Liane, you're kind of hoping he can do what Huby does, but mainly with goals.
Panthers are somewhat in the postseason this year, so odds Huby can get happier are there. Maybe he is extra motivated these playoffs, along with other frustrated Panthers.

Reactions: harv33173

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I've been tuned out on hockey for a few months, so not sure if it'd work cap-wise. But obviously we could use another stud on defense and it'd be great to snag one of the big fish like Pietrangelo or Krug. But if not, there are also some lower price targets who are solid defensively and physical out there like Joel Edmonson or Brendan Dillon.

Would also love to go after a guy like Mikael Granlund who's a free agent. He's still only 28 and would slot into 2C really nicely. I personally think he has 1C talent.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I've been tuned out on hockey for a few months, so not sure if it'd work cap-wise. But obviously we could use another stud on defense and it'd be great to snag one of the big fish like Pietrangelo or Krug. But if not, there are also some lower price targets who are solid defensively and physical out there like Joel Edmonson or Brendan Dillon.

Would also love to go after a guy like Mikael Granlund who's a free agent. He's still only 28 and would slot into 2C really nicely. I personally think he has 1C talent.
Never thought about Granlund. He might actually be a really good reclamation project here in Florida with Barkov. He's always been an extremely smart player with amazing playmaking skills. We need a 2C and he would be a cheap option that could supply that.

Reactions: BeezKnees

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Granlund isn't an NHL level center though.

I kinda wanted him at the deadline if Nashville wanted to dump him (he had a really bad season until like January), but then we got rid of Trocheck.. Granlund would've been a good fit with him.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Cast matheson and Yandle into an empty void

trade for one D. Then sign another one.

haula on a 2-3yr contract until the market is better for centers.

or just win the lottery if we get eliminated, and trade huberdeau for a top pairing D, or top-4 D and a 2nd line center. And still cast matheson and Yandle into an empty void

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Yesterday, Canada Day, on TSN they were showing a full day of Canadian team's winning championships. :win:

At one point I tuned in a little bit and watched some of the 2016 gold medal game between Canada and Finland.

The lone Florida Panther Canadian on the team was Mike Matheson. What happened to that version? I want that guy back!!!

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yesterday, Canada Day, on TSN they were showing a full day of Canadian team's winning championships. :win:

At one point I tuned in a little bit and watched some of the 2016 gold medal game between Canada and Finland.

The lone Florida Panther Canadian on the team was Mike Matheson. What happened to that version? I want that guy back!!!
Ah, I just watched the 2019 final, it was very entertaining.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

I know Huberdeau is not happy here anymore and we might have no other choice but trade him.

And Laine wouldn't be a bad return.

But damn I wish Huberdeau stays. He's the catalyst of our offense and as good as Laine is, he's not as good as Huberdeau.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Idk if I should start a thread on this, but for the fun of conversation let’s play a hypothetical situation:

panthers get eliminated by nyi and win the lottery. What would you do? I’d keep it, pick lafreniere* and trade huberdeau for either a top pairing D, or a top-4 D and a 2nd line center combo. As much as I’d love to keep him and laf, we just have too many other holes to fill right now. If we were fortunate enough to win laf then huberdeau being one of the best wingers in the game with 3yrs left on a good contract should return a fantastic package. It’d take a little bit before laf gets to hubs level but probably not terribly long and the gain would be a net positive. A center + D combo package I’d look at would be something like kadri + graves or something along those lines. Kadri would be a long term 2nd line center and graves could potentially pair with Ekblad while Weegar would play with a ufa signing on the 2nd (I’m not thinking Yandle or matheson right now). Other than last year when kadri was the 3rd line center behind Tavares and Matthews, he’s put up or been on pace to put up 30g and 55-60pt in 3 of the last 4 seasons, the other being that 3rd line season. Plus he brings an edge and energy we could really use. Graves is a cheap and still young big heavy D who can play stable D while facilitating an offensive partner, contribute some, and log big minutes. May not sound like a sexy deal, but if both players continue that kind of play it’d help us a lot. I’m sure there’d be other pieces added but that’s just one example. Finding a 1 for 1 trade for a D is harder but I’d be open to it depending on who it’s for. It’s possibly harder to “win” a trade for a combo package vs one big piece, but it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be any less valuable

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Idk if I should start a thread on this, but for the fun of conversation let’s play a hypothetical situation:

panthers get eliminated by nyi and win the lottery. What would you do? I’d keep it, pick lafreniere* and trade huberdeau for either a top pairing D, or a top-4 D and a 2nd line center combo. As much as I’d love to keep him and laf, we just have too many other holes to fill right now. If we were fortunate enough to win laf then huberdeau being one of the best wingers in the game with 3yrs left on a good contract should return a fantastic package. It’d take a little bit before laf gets to hubs level but probably not terribly long and the gain would be a net positive. A center + D combo package I’d look at would be something like kadri + graves or something along those lines. Kadri would be a long term 2nd line center and graves could potentially pair with Ekblad while Weegar would play with a ufa signing on the 2nd (I’m not thinking Yandle or matheson right now). Other than last year when kadri was the 3rd line center behind Tavares and Matthews, he’s put up or been on pace to put up 30g and 55-60pt in 3 of the last 4 seasons, the other being that 3rd line season. Plus he brings an edge and energy we could really use. Graves is a cheap and still young big heavy D who can play stable D while facilitating an offensive partner, contribute some, and log big minutes. May not sound like a sexy deal, but if both players continue that kind of play it’d help us a lot. I’m sure there’d be other pieces added but that’s just one example. Finding a 1 for 1 trade for a D is harder but I’d be open to it depending on who it’s for. It’s possibly harder to “win” a trade for a combo package vs one big piece, but it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be any less valuable

I'd be a little underwhelmed with Kadri + Graves.
Feel Kadri by himself would be a mid round 1st (14th to 20th) + a team's 3rd//4th ranked prospect OR mid level roster player (3rd line forward with some upside//#4/5 D with some upside), maybe a mid pick as well.
Graves is likely worth a decent 2nd round pick + 4th?

Feel Huberdeau is worth a top 10 pick (5th to 10th) + 2C OR top 3/4D, 3 years left under $6 million for a PPG player the last 3 years.
Huberdeau is 15th in points among all forwards the last 3 years (239pts in 233 games).

Totally get the pieces asked for in a #2C + #4D but Graves is a one hit wonder right now, he could easily regress, he could help the PK but only averaged 16mins of even strength hockey.
Think we would need a better/more valuable piece with Kadri.
More open to idea of moving him if we lose to NYI but I'd hate to see Huberdeau go to Colorado, they would be absolutely stacked with their top 6.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Getting #1 overall and trading Huberdeau isn't realistic, how about trading Huberdeau for a great dman. Team needs a huge shakeup.

Obvviously Huberdeau is great but this season was a mess and there's no UFA money. Huge changes are needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad