Realistically, how do you fix this team

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
No one is going to like this, but the best way to retool is to trade Weegar and Huberdeau.

Weegar is 26, Huberdeau is 27. Their value is high right now and they will start their decline.

Basically, trade both of them for good players that are 21/22/23 that are earlier in their age curve:

Defensemen like: Vince Dunn, Victor Mete, Rasmus Andersson, Gavrikov

If I can trade Huberdeau, Heponiemi for Gaudreau, Rasmus Andersson and a future first i do that. (Lopsided trade, hope CGY is stupid)

If I can trade Weegar for a player like Nikolai Ehlers, Jordan Greenway, Luke Kunin, Players that are 22-24 that have some upside and can grow with Barkov.
I would not re-sign Hoffman. I'd resign Dadonov if its close to 5 million. Re-sign Haula if its around 3 million.

I hold on to Matheson. His value is at an all time low. Try to rehab his value so Seattle takes him in the expansion draft.

I offer sheet Cirelli.

Grudgingly, I keep Yandle. He is terrible to watch but if he is sheltered on the 3rd pairing and productive on the power play that enough. Even though he is overpaid.

I get rid of Vatrano, Sceviour, Boyle,
I disagree about Huby's game declining. Huby's game isn't built on speed or being overly physical. It's his hands that is the key to him being able to handle the puck in tight spaces where most players can't. And still find opening in the defense to pass it to or take the puck to. That's not going away.
It's why he has been able to continue to improve at an age when most other players level off. Most likely, the players you get back in a Huby trade will decline sooner than him.
And I don't think people are taking into consideration how important Huby is to this offense. And I don't think bringing in individual players is going to have the impact on the defensive play that the perception might be. More likely, those good defensive players will play just that much worse defensively here.
Team defense is a philosophy, and it's about the whole team. So basically a trade of Huby would stall the offense and not impact the defense like what one would hope for IMO. So the team is just worse off after that, which clearly we can't afford at this time.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
It certainly would be a shame to blow up the core because of a disappointing 5-game series in August.

Reactions: harv33173

Yandover

Nov 8, 2013

Yeah... more than happy to unload this gunk from the roster and let Ekblad do the tasks that he's paid to do. For an instance, no one in the Bolts' board is crying about that they need a dedicated sonk-man at the blue line even though Hedman is more than capable of doing that job already.

Agreed

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yandle did exactly the same blatant slash when Panarin scored his third goal as an ENG a few years ago. The dude has some issues

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Not just the 5 games. A disappointing 3 years.
3? It's year 8 of Huberdeau/Barkov and they've won 3 playoff games
It was the first year with a legit coach and a new franchise goalie. Shockingly things didn't magically get fixed day one, but it's the failure to get restarted for the summer playoffs that has people up in arms right now. We're getting a new GM now, so let's see what he and Q can do with what they have to work with.

Huberdeau and Barkov have very cap friendly contracts, and with that awful contract Bob got it's not like the Panthers can leverage their value for money to trade for more talent. If anything they can be traded for younger players with more uncertainty, which doesn't sound like the kind of gamble people are looking for. It would seem more constructive to find ways to maximize the output of the current core and/or find someone who will take Bob's contract off our hands.

Reactions: harv33173

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
It was the first year with a legit coach and a new franchise goalie. Shockingly things didn't magically get fixed day one, but it's the failure to get restarted for the summer playoffs that has people up in arms right now. We're getting a new GM now, so let's see what he and Q can do with what they have to work with.

Huberdeau and Barkov have very cap friendly contracts, and with that awful contract Bob got it's not like the Panthers can leverage their value for money to trade for more talent. If anything they can be traded for younger players with more uncertainty, which doesn't sound like the kind of gamble people are looking for. It would seem more constructive to find ways to maximize the output of the current core and/or find someone who will take Bob's contract off our hands.

Starting to question that. Especially with that recent comment from a former NHL player. As another poster said, starting to think a baboon could have coached those Chicago teams to a Stanley Cup.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Starting to question that. Especially with that recent comment from a former NHL player. As another poster said, starting to think a baboon could have coached those Chicago teams to a Stanley Cup.

The Hawks players on those teams had a rather high hockey IQ in general and they kept a non-stop pressure in o-zone forechecking which in turn means even more time with the puck. imo there wasn't really a rigid system in place because Q focuses more on player usage (e.g. Pysyk as a forward) than drawing X's and O's i.e. either the decision making is on the shoulders of the coach or on the players themselves. imo the correct way of coaching is to let the players to come up with the strategy, in other words being creative. Therefore, it's easy to pass a judgement that the Hawks teams could've been coached by a monkey but the reality is that in comparison to teams coached by guys like Gallant which are vulnerable when their tactics are used against them and they can't think on the fly. Most ppl around here are still glamouring over the GG-era but that team was bound to get mauled by high hockey IQ teams and eventually ppl would've requesting smarter hockey players.

The Panthers are a low hockey IQ team because, I for one, don't see much creativity, especially at sustaining plays for longer periods of time. Even the best players on the team are guilty of this because they could make a nice pass or whatever but then couple of seconds later they end up making some the stupidest, minor league level mistakes. Most of the time these situations, like turning over the puck after some nice or a deke, are being evaluated according to the best part of the sequence and not the worst. Therefore, folks end up praising Barkov and Huberdeau to high heaven even when after a nifty play that ends in a tape-to-tape pass to the opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->