Realistic Trade Proposals III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I think and hope we will start seeing a decline in the long term over 30 contracts. Too many teams are seeing me the wrath of this now. I love simmonds but i wouldn't give anyone over 30 more than 4 years.

As for Lucic being 28. I would be willing to give him 4-5 years at 5.5. I'd avoid a ntc but that's just me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
SEE....THIS IS THE ISSUE.

Lucic will want too long a contract for too much money, yet will start that contract at age 28. And few people want to sign him.

Yet Simmonds will start his next contract at age 31 and will ALSO want too much money and for too long. And people are justifying re-signing him.

And that is due to loyalty and being a fan of Simminds...which we all are.

Trying to justify re-signing Simmonds while saying Lucic will want too much and for too long contradicts each other. Unless you think Somminds is going to sign a 3 year extension at 4.5 million....which he won't.

Simmonds will be looking for his big payout that he did not get thru his prime years with us. He will be looking for a contract that will be 6+ per year. And even though I think he will still be productive, I don't think he will ever be productive enough for that money in his age 31-35 seasons.

Right because almost $4 million per year is chump change lol. I get your point though. Its his last chance at a big payout. We will either trade him by the deadline of the UFAseason, or extend him. We shall see.

My feeling is that there is no point speculating now because he is not going to be traded anytime soon.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It's certainly too early to speculate what Simmonds will want on his next contract. That's 3.5 years from now.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
SEE....THIS IS THE ISSUE.

Lucic will want too long a contract for too much money, yet will start that contract at age 28. And few people want to sign him.

Yet Simmonds will start his next contract at age 31 and will ALSO want too much money and for too long. And people are justifying re-signing him.

And that is due to loyalty and being a fan of Simminds...which we all are.

Trying to justify re-signing Simmonds while saying Lucic will want too much and for too long contradicts each other. Unless you think Somminds is going to sign a 3 year extension at 4.5 million....which he won't.

Simmonds will be looking for his big payout that he did not get thru his prime years with us. He will be looking for a contract that will be 6+ per year. And even though I think he will still be productive, I don't think he will ever be productive enough for that money in his age 31-35 seasons.

Which is why if we combine Lucic & Simmonds they can take turns battling in front of the net/fighting prolonging each other's career

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Right because almost $4 million per year is chump change lol. I get your point though. Its his last chance at a big payout. We will either trade him by the deadline of the UFAseason, or extend him. We shall see.

My feeling is that there is no point speculating now because he is not going to be traded anytime soon.

Lol...yeah...it's all relative.

We all know Simmonds is outplaying his contract. And that is really needed as it's a formula for success. I just think Simmonds is NOT taking any discount after being a bargain for 6 years of his current deal.

But I agree, I don't see him being moved this year or the summer. If we struggle next year, then you have to really contemplate it next years deadline.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
It's certainly too early to speculate what Simmonds will want on his next contract. That's 3.5 years from now.

Simmonds is only 27... theres zero reason to trade him right now. If in three years it looks like he may be too expensive than yes trade him.. his value may be even better than. I want to see what 28/93/17/14/10/53 look like with provorov/sanhiem/konecny/morin before i trade anyone I just named

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How long do you think Voracek and G will be able to perform like they are now? 32?

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/09/peak-decline-elite-nhl-forwards/

32 would be a good bet in regards to continuing their current ~'peak' level production. (ie top 10-20 in the NHL in scoring)

34 would be a good bet in regards to them being above average 1st liners.

Though by the requirements I laid out in the article Voracek is kind of 'cusp' in regards to qualifying as an 'elite' forward. (though he would have 'just' made it due to having multiple 85+ point era adjusted seasons and a top 10 PPG and points finish.)

Though tbh in Giroux's case if he does not suffer many injuries going forward with the game he plays I could well imagine him doing a 'Sundin/Datsyuk/Sedin/Modano/Thornton' and still be an average to above average 1st line C at ~36.

Being a pass happy guy who is money on the PP and does not rely too much on physical gifts is kind of having all the ingredients to still excel even as he ages. (as assists decline slower than goals, and PP points are very sustainable into mid-30's... it is usually EV where there is a drop-off.)

Last edited:

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
In the non cap world, we would be all over Lucic.

Yes we would, being sarcastic with my last comment but I have a one track mind.. & right now that's imagining him as our 2nd LW

& we have beat our way to a cup before

We see the fear Simmonds & Gudas inflict on our opponents & how it effects their game. Add Morin, Lucic & Ghoul if he can become a solid 4th liner & that's an entertaining season.. might even break the penalty record lol

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
How long do you think Voracek and G will be able to perform like they are now? 32?

Giroux plays a game that is very sustainable when he gets over, I think he can be at least a 60 point forward until he's ~34/35. Less goals but he has the vision and smarts to get assists.

Edit: Just read Appleyard's post

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
Giroux plays a game that is very sustainable when he gets over, I think he can be at least a 60 point forward until he's ~34/35. Less goals but he has the vision and smarts to get assists.

Giroux has a ton of skill, but he also has some of THE BEST vision in the league. that will help him continue to be successful as he ages. As for Voracek I almost see a Jagr thing going on.. that is if he trains as hard, he is very hard to get off the puck and I dont think that is something he will lose when he gets older. The decline of those two should be after around 33/34 plenty of time for the young nucleus to develop

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
How about we keep Simmonds & add a similar player to him in Lucic if he hits FA

There's our LW we need

Simmonds, Gudas, Morin, Lucic, Ghoul would be hilarious

honestly would give up my left one to watch that lineup...probably in the minority but really wish we could afford lucic. you know with those guys every single game would be intense and entertaining as hell.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
honestly would give up my left one to watch that lineup...probably in the minority but really wish we could afford lucic. you know with those guys every single game would be intense and entertaining as hell.

I would love it too

Last edited:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Just reading some of Myrtetus going back and forth with people about hockey. Some people are so god damn impatient. Someone asked him what we could get G then another argued for trading Simmonds with him. Just stay the course we are almost there

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Just reading some of Myrtetus going back and forth with people about hockey. Some people are so god damn impatient. Someone asked him what we could get G then another argued for trading Simmonds with him. Just stay the course we are almost there

There's nothing impatient about trading Simmonds. At all. It's a calculated gamble that means we'll have players of the right age and the right cost on the team when we're looking to win. People said we shouldn't trade Carter either, look at the return we got for him.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Giroux has a ton of skill, but he also has some of THE BEST vision in the league. that will help him continue to be successful as he ages. As for Voracek I almost see a Jagr thing going on.. that is if he trains as hard, he is very hard to get off the puck and I dont think that is something he will lose when he gets older. The decline of those two should be after around 33/34 plenty of time for the young nucleus to develop

That's a big if...I think Giroux falls into the category of crazy conditioning which also plays a role in how long you are effective.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
There's nothing impatient about trading Simmonds. At all. It's a calculated gamble that means we'll have players of the right age and the right cost on the team when we're looking to win. People said we shouldn't trade Carter either, look at the return we got for him.

But Carter got the biggest return any player got in the last few years. If you look at the trades since then, the returns have mostly been an A asset (1st round pick or top prospect) a B asset (2nd Rd pick/2nd level prospect/bottom half roster player)and a 3rd asset with the highest 3rd asset being a 2nd Rd pick or another 2nd level prospect. Most of the 3rd assets are just junk. Carters was arguably the highest return because he got 2 A assets in the 1st and Voracek. Although a case could be made that Voracek was a b asset at the time since he didn't have great production and there was worried about his off ice commitment to training. Carter was a 1st line center so his value was far greater than Simmonds.

So does getting an top prospect/1st Rd pick and a 2nd level prospect/2nd Rd pick sound like a great return for Simmonds?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'd argue that Richards return was better.

Simmonds & Schenn is better than Voracek & Cousins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad