Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's pretty sad that we haven't drafted and developed a true starter (sorry James) in 30 years.

Would have been a good idea once the cap was introduced at least.

Didn't mind them going from Potvin to Joseph to Belfour for as long as that stretch lasted. Joseph, and particularly Belfour, turned out well for a couple of undrafted goalies. Different times for sure.

Last edited:

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Obviously there needs to be a plan before you replace him... I voted to move him before the season begins. He is a solid goalie but not a gamer. He Just doesn’t have the it factor and hasn’t proved much in the post season.

On a side note leafs have let far too many guys walk into ufa over the past few years when they should of cashed in for assets. They have to start looking at the big picture and have assets in every form. And understand that they are actually much further away from winning then they think they actually are

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I like what I saw from Campbell. Was almost hoping to see him start a game after I saw that Atkinson goal in game 1

I would not re-sign him until next off season. He is great at times and awful at other times. I would try to get some value for him this year but also don’t wanna go into next year with no starter. So I’d do a swap type trade with another team who is meh about their starter

Reactions: AcerComputer

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
We just don't have the cap space, and I feel good about Campbell. I think we could at least back what we paid for him, a late 1st round pick + a 2nd. Or a good prospect + 2nd.

OptimusReim

Jul 13, 2011
The trend in the league is having 2 capable goaltenders, ideally splitting games as much as possible and not over working one over the other.

Playing Freddy 70 games a season should not continue, but trading him would mean we need another capable goaltender for 41 games to match Campbell.

I say we reduce Freddy's workload this season and have him play 40-50 games, keep him fresh for the playoffs (should we be fortunate enough to make it) and evaluate once the season is done.

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
Andersen is good enough to get you into the playoffs each season. He also plays considerably well in the playoffs. However, when it comes down to elimination games, he always gives in under pressure. Always.

When he was playing in Anaheim it was the same. In that sense, it will be very hard to win a cup with Andersen in goal.

LeafsFanHere

Nov 16, 2017
I know I'll probably get ridiculed, but I never felt safe with Freddy in net like I would with Cujo and Eddie. He's not a clutch goalie. Always chokes in the post season. He's one of the biggest reasons the Leafs can't win a round.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Move him. Sign local boy Cam Talbot for 2.5mil per. Rock a 1-2 with Talbot and Campbell and save 2.5 mil. Put the money into our defence

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Mar 26, 2010
No way you keep him. He is not good.

Do not sign him to an extension. You dump him right now. Trade him, waive him, buy him out...whatever it takes. Just get him the heck out!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Pitt sucks defensively ... much like us ... but if we swop goalies and can save on CAP then it should be a done deal ... if we have to eat a long term winger deal then forget it ... Pitt and us are in da worst shape on CAP in league

not only that. They are openly looking to dump salary. The athletic just reported they only want to spend 70ish next year.

Andy is owed 1 million with what 20% retention? He’s basically free.

I would try to to a McCann/Murray for kerfoot/Andy trade if it saved us Cap hit.

kerfoot is owed like 2.6 x 3. And Andy 1 x 1

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Andersen is good enough to get you into the playoffs each season. He also plays considerably well in the playoffs. However, when it comes down to elimination games, he always gives in under pressure. Always.

When he was playing in Anaheim it was the same. In that sense, it will be very hard to win a cup with Andersen in goal.
IMPOSSIBLE not very hard

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Obviously there needs to be a plan before you replace him... I voted to move him before the season begins. He is a solid goalie but not a gamer. He Just doesn’t have the it factor and hasn’t proved much in the post season.

On a side note leafs have let far too many guys walk into ufa over the past few years when they should of cashed in for assets. They have to start looking at the big picture and have assets in every form. And understand that they are actually much further away from winning then they think they actually are

The bolded won't mix too well with the team having three of the bigger cap hits in the league on their books.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
not only that. They are openly looking to dump salary. The athletic just reported they only want to spend 70ish next year.

Andy is owed 1 million with what 20% retention? He’s basically free.

I would try to to a McCann/Murray for kerfoot/Andy trade if it saved us Cap hit.

kerfoot is owed like 2.6 x 3. And Andy 1 x 1
That would be a GOD SEND helps solve 2 problems in 1 deal ... Kerfoot proved to me in playin that he is a non factor when ice tightens up he can't get er done

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Lots of good ideas in this thread. I'd look to recoup any possible value anywhere on this roster. It's clear core players won't be moved or traded to improve team so you gotta re-work the bottom 6, dmen, and goalies.

I think the Leafs should go with a goaltending tandem. Split the entire season. Fred has a year left. Try to find some takers, he's a regular season goalie and next season won't start in October so no worries about Octobersen.

If there are no takers, hang onto Fred for regular season only and trade him at the deadline. After deadline give Campbell majority of starts. Maybe we can acquire a backup like Lehner or somewhat comparable.

We need to inject some solid stay at home & transitional dmen onto this roster, have a more effective bottom 6 forward group that provides energy and can shift momentum more regularly.

Damn that's a lot of major work for Dubas to do. I find it unlikely he gets it all done by next season. Unless if next season doesn't start for like 2 years.

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
Not a fan of Andersen, but he isn't the problem. Markstrom let in 3-4 softer goals in Vancouver's qualifier, yet they had the skill and determination to outscore their opponents. Foudy's goal wasn't terrible because Andersen let it in, it was terrible because the whole team fell asleep on a line change.
this isn't a fair way to look at it. The team fell asleep AND freddy let in a terrible shot. Both things are true, just like both of these statements are true:

1. Fixing the goalie situation is not the Leafs top priority
2. the Leafs need to fix the goalie situation

Reactions: Clark4Ever

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Every game in the playoff means the exact same. Weather it's game 1 or game 7; you need that win. So saying he's bad in elimination games doesn't mean much to me. Winning in 4 games means just as much as winning in 7.

You have a goalie good enough to get to the playoffs and plays well enough there. What makes you think you can replace him with a goalie who even fits that criteria? you're not getting a goalie who meets both of those and more.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Every game in the playoff means the exact same. Weather it's game 1 or game 7; you need that win. So saying he's bad in elimination games doesn't mean much to me. Winning in 4 games means just as much as winning in 7.

You have a goalie good enough to get to the playoffs and plays well enough there. What makes you think you can replace him with a goalie who even fits that criteria? you're not getting a goalie who meets both of those and more.

His issues don't just appear in elimination games though. Early goals rattle him and when he's off his game the soft goals flow in. He gives very bipolar performances.

I'd like someone with a bit more consistency even if they can't reach his high's when he's on his game

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
His issues don't just appear in elimination games though. Early goals rattle him and when he's off his game the soft goals flow in. He gives very bipolar performances.

I'd like someone with a bit more consistency even if they can't reach his high's when he's on his game

Thats fair. But how much of that have to do with the leafs team not being consistent themselves.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thats fair. But how much of that have to do with the leafs team not being consistent themselves.

The Leafs team doesn't do him any favors, being a goalie on this team is no easy task.

The problem is though way too often the goals he let's in comes from easier to save shots rather than high danger chances, and that's not on the Leafs D, subpar as they may be.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Andersen is going into his final season before UFA, what should be done with him?

We can't afford him, so instead of letting him walk for nothing like JVR, Bozak, Gardiner, Barrie actually try to asset manage him and trade him for something of NHL value.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The Leafs team doesn't do him any favors, being a goalie on this team is no easy task.

The problem is though way too often the goals he let's in comes from easier to save shots rather than high danger chances, and that's not on the Leafs D, subpar as they may be.

Conversely Anderson has saved the leafs D' bacon more often than most goalies would. If you can find a goalie who puts up the same save% and have their performances be more evenly spread out the season, thats great. I don't see that being achievable. And Campbell is not the solution; LA kings are not stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad