Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So do you think Dubas traded for Jack Campbell because he played for the Greyhounds when he was their GM for them, instead of giving up something more to the Rangers for Alexandar Georgiev.

I know that Mark Hunter was never the Leafs GM, however he was in charge of who the Leafs drafted in 2015 when they selected Marner 4th overall. While that was the right decision to select him let's remember that Mike Babcock wanted Noah Hanifin 4th overall and Hunter did not care. So you don't think him knowing Marner from his time in London didn't help?
This type of drafting/trading has been going on for over 100 years in hockey history ... people get who they know ... if you have a draft/trade one for a guy you know and one for a guy you don't ... you go with guy you know ... it is relationships ... it happens everywhere in kids hockey, in junior and in pro

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bump for those who’d like to view poll results.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Leafs made jackets goalie look great, thats different. They took a lot of shot from outside withiut any screen but they didn't get a lot from dangerous spot if you compare what columbus get as scoring chance

Taking a matthews shot from outside still more easy to stop than a dubois at 10 feet of the net in a 2 on 1

Sorry but columbus outplayed Toronto in that series in term of quality of scoring chance by far

When 3 forwards are making an average of 11M+ the other teams goalie shouldn't be looking great. 33M for 4 goals in a 5 game series is a joke. Either our forwards are trash when it matters or Columbus goalies out played Freddie. I think it's a bit of both.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Honestly 90% of goalie fall off over the age of 31-32 you can look at statistics there's obviously a few exceptions for the elite but I wouldn't risk it on freddy . I have really high hopes for Ian scott and he's speculated as a starter in the NHL but his knee injury and surgery has me concerned he's spota be ready for the AHL this year . im hoping they give him the starting role and let andersen and campbell play out the year let freddy walk and see if scotts ready if not there will be options next year . Freddy is an above average goalie hes just aging thats it

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Personally, I don't see any way that the Leafs can sign him before him actually seeing what the UFA market will bear.

Over the last 4 seasons, the most comparable goaltenders from a statistical point of of view are Price, Bobrovsky, Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck. 3 of those guys have recently signed contracts north of $9.5m AAV; with Hellebuyck being the outlier and on an RFA deal.

Even trying to convince him that the goalie market has changed (which I do feel it has), and that he should take less in AAV to get large signing bonuses and average out the money over 8 years (taking him to 40 years old) -- I think doing so would be perceived as somewhat of an insult -- and likely lead to the same type of strenuous relationship that the Blues and Pietrangelo have had over the past year.

The reality is, the Leafs simply do not have any space to give him any kind of raise from the $5m he presently makes. In order to have a chance at Andersen anywhere near those numbers, they'd have to wait until July 1st next year, and just hope the market for goalies remains really bad / gets worse. I don't think it makes sense for the Leafs to run this season with a potentially lame duck goalie -- especially when there are a glut of goalies that are available right now.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
When 3 forwards are making an average of 11M+ the other teams goalie shouldn't be looking great. 33M for 4 goals in a 5 game series is a joke. Either our forwards are trash when it matters or Columbus goalies out played Freddie. I think it's a bit of both.

Its just hard to be good on offensive zone playing all game long 3 v5 because your d almost playing of neutral zone to avoid any mistake they can't repair. If its not necessary to be worried, about dman you can double team matthews, marner, tavares or nylander pretty easyly.

Everything starting with leafs d, the 7th d of NY islanders still better than our 3rd d, you just cant win that way.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I cannot see us being able to afford to keep him long term, so the I do think moving him this offseason is probably the right move. If we can get a good guy at 3-4 who can tandem with Campbell even better

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Wholly shat. Apparently Lehmer resigning 5/$25M deal. Seems too good to be true.

Seems salaries aren’t going to be low in the next few years.

what a steal if true.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Wholly shat. Apparently Lehmer resigning 5/$25M deal. Seems too good to be true.

what a steal if true.
Vegas has $$$ and an owner who does not care about anything but winning now ... not surprising ... getting 5M in this upcoming UFA season is GREAT $$$ for anyone ...

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Vegas has $$$ and an owner who does not care about anything but winning now ... not surprising ... getting 5M in this upcoming UFA season is GREAT $$$ for anyone ...
But it does cap the UFA market for goalies. Everyone else will have to slot in below that, and in some cases - well below.

I'll bet someone like Talbot will be very lucky to get $2 million.

That actually puts Vegas over the cap for next season with 19 players signed. Going to be some moves needed, and I'll bet the price to move Fleury will be astronomical with teams knowing that he has to move.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
ALL goals are time stamped and will show the goal.

This is just a reference for everyone to look at all the horrible goals Anderen has let in all of our playoffs, and the vast, VAST majority of these came in crucial moments and games. I will have to break them up into a few posts, there are unfortunately that many.

Andersen is a solid regular season goalie and horrible playoff one, this year he was bad in both.

Time to move on.

Capital vs Leafs

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
IF there is any value you get it now. If freddie has a great year you cant keep him. If he has a bad year you loose him for nothing anyways.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It's interesting looking at the game logs for the two Penguin goalies.

Tristan Jarry seems to do better in games he played against teams who you'd think were higher scoring threats.
My question, was it because the team make a more conscious defensive effort then against teams without the
big scorers? Some teams can even protect a Zamboni driver!

Then you see Murray playing a stretch against Boston, Washington, Tampa, Tampa, Detroit, Toronto, Washington.
Not exactly the easiest match-ups either.

Guys like Schultz and J.Johnson, haven't exactly been setting the world on fire on their blueline either. Pittsburgh
has traditionally gone up and down, and IMHO they're a team that is trending down. When Teddy Blueger leads your forwards
with ice-time this season, perhaps that's telling. For next season, think Murray would be a sideways move from Andersen.
Depending on contract, age, etc., think it could have a future benefit however.

Trivia quiz: Name two other goalies from Thunder Bay, Ontario that have their name on the Stanley Cup.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

what a steal if true.

Same AAV as he has currently. He'd just also have the term attached to it that he hasn't had over the past few contracts. Thought he'd get a bit more. Not too bad though if it happens, all things considered. (the term, staying on a contender)

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Its looking more and more likely that the Leafs will be able to get Andersen at a reasonable number for an extension. If they can get him at a good number, I think they should re-sign him.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Haven't been through this thread at all so I am sure what I will say has been covered to death.

But I have always been a big Andersen backer. There were always ups and downs, but enough ups and overall solid play to get it done overall. I am still an Andersen backer but I also know when it is time to move on.

His month-long regular season struggles were frustrating, but really, he could make up for it with a solid next month. Essentially, there was time to recover. If you were to ask me, what is worse, a poor month or a stinker late in a deciding game, I would say the stinker.

There isn't time to recover from the stinker. And hey, a stinker is one goal, they happen to every goalie. So I understand they happen, even in critical times. But at this point, they have happened too often. I can't explain why, but at this point, there have been one too many at critical times, so whatever the reason, it just means something isn't working and it consistently isn't working.

These aren't Toskala/Bernier silly circus stinkers, but they all still have an odor to them. The ones that stand out in my mind are:

Tom Wilson OT vs. Capitals Game 1
Jake Debrusk go-ahead vs. Bruins Game 7
Joakim Nordstrom opening goal vs. Bruins Game 7
Cam Atkinson winning goal vs. Columbus Game 1
Liam Foudy insurance goal vs. Columbus Game 5

I'm sure there are some more, but these ones all stand out as back breakers that should all have been stopped. It is just too many times at this point, and whether or not it is entirely his fault or the team just not playing well enough overall, we can't have this trend continue.

If this is a risk we need to live with, I'd rather pay less for a tandem and allocate the saved money to strengthen other parts of the lineup, helping to mitigate this risk overall.

Reactions: glue and kb

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It's amazing how much power Dubas has on the fans opinions. If he wasn't shopping Andersen there is no way that 60% want him gone before the start of the season.

Dubas stinks at his job. His opinion means jack.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's amazing how much power Dubas has on the fans opinions. If he wasn't shopping Andersen there is no way that 60% want him gone before the start of the season.

Dubas stinks at his job. His opinion means jack.
Thank you for your lack of meaningful contribution to this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad