Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's amazing how much power Dubas has on the fans opinions. If he wasn't shopping Andersen there is no way that 60% want him gone before the start of the season.

Dubas stinks at his job. His opinion means jack.
The only people I see who bring up Dubas completely unprompted in every single discussion about completely unrelated topics are the people who hate him

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'm a Freddy fan and think he gets shit on.

But, you trade him because there's probably some value there, and well we can't afford to bring him back.

And, I was very impressed with Jack Campbell and would go with him as a starter.

Next season is going to require some experimentation that may or may not work out. But this team is going to need to do a little re-tooling on the fly without getting crazy.

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
He feels the pressure and chokes you can see it in all those videos looks so awkward that’s pressure getting to him

Mar 26, 2010
Andersen needs to be moved. It does not matter if he is traded, waived, bought out...whatever. Just get him out of Toronto before next training camp starts.

He is not a starting goalie in the NHL. There is a reason he was a back up in Anaheim.

Jack Campbell is way better than him. You go with Jack as the starter next season.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm a Freddy fan and think he gets shit on.

But, you trade him because there's probably some value there, and well we can't afford to bring him back.

And, I was very impressed with Jack Campbell and would go with him as a starter.

Next season is going to require some experimentation that may or may not work out. But this team is going to need to do a little re-tooling on the fly without getting crazy.
There’s no way you can go with Campbell as a starter. Perhaps he can be a starter in time, but in this market you’ll need another experienced tender if you’re moving Andersen. This fan base will eat Dubas alive if Campbell stumbles, he isn’t going that route. Now, he may think Campbell has the ability to evolve into the role, but he needs a high profile replacement if Andy goes, it’s too risky.

Andersen is a conundrum right now, it may very well be the most important decision we make.

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
Given the glut of goalies availalble, I didn't understand the trade Andersen arguments at first. If Jake Allen only gets you a 3rd, what is Andersen going to land.

It's the $5 million cap hit, with only $1 million left to pay, that makes things very interesting.
With COVID, there are a lot of cash-strapped teams, and it'll be pretty tempting for a one of those teams to get a consistent / top 15 goalie for 1 year for only $1 million in actual dollars.

I'm still not convinced that there is a huge market out there for Andersen, but if you can pick up a late first, or something like that, and sign or trade for a comparable or better goalie (Lehner, Markstrom, Murray, Kuemper, Khudobin, Greiss) for a longer term contract, it makes sense to do so.

Reactions: New Liskeard

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Leafs have passing out top 60 picks like Halloween candy for the past 5 years. Time to restock the cupboard. Move Andersen and Hyman this offseason.

Moving Hyman would be a mistake. The team is soft as it is, and Hyman is one of the few players on our team I could see taking a hair cut to stay.

He's independently wealthy (from his career), home town kid, will be hard pressed to play with a better centre than Tavares/Matthews, and is a humbling personality.

Reactions: CincoHolio and kb

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Downgrade to a cheaper 1A/1B goalie and go with Campbell as a tandem. Put the savings into helping shore up the D. I think we'd be better off or surely no worse. I dunno I just want to see playoff progress it doesn't feel like it's going to happen without some changes and with a flat cap there needs to be other ways to improve the defence. Gutting the forward depth doesn't seem like the way to go after watching lines 2-4 vs. Columbus.

I'm fine with whatever just want to see a series win before Matthews contract is up would that be too much to ask?

I think this is the only scenario that would make sense. The Leafs will be hard pressed to find an upgrade on andersen making less than $5M.

Campbell played quite well for us, and the last couple seasons with LA. That said, hes only played around 30 games career high.

It'll be a risk, but tandems are trending again.

Reactions: kb

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
For all the people suggesting Lehner as a replacement for Andersen, check out his consistency issues.

He's had 7 games above .900 since the restart. But 9 games at .900 or below. That's right. More often than not he's below that low baseline.

For comparison, Andersen also had 7 games over .900 since the restart. And none at or below.

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
For all the people suggesting Lehner as a replacement for Andersen, check out his consistency issues.

He's had 7 games above .900 since the restart. But 9 games at .900 or below. That's right. More often than not he's below that low baseline.

For comparison, Andersen also had 7 games over .900 since the restart. And none at or below.

Neither are the pinnacle of consistency. Andersen only played 7 games after the restart, and 6 of them were against the league's 4th worst offence.

Here are some numbers for contrast:

Freddie had an amazing November, 2 good games to end the season, a very good playoff, and was well below replacement the rest of the way. In the regular season, he had a below .900 save % in 48% of the games he played this year.

October - Freddie .901 Lehner .936
November - Freddie .938 Lehner .923
December - Freddie .904 Lehner .899
January - Freddie .884 Lehner .904
February - Freddie .920 Lehner .909
playoffs - Freddie .936 Lehner .917

Sub-900 Games
Freddie - 25 out of 52 (48%)
Lehner - 9 out of 33 (27%)

Sub-800 Games
Freddie - 4 out of 52 (.750, .792, .667, .556) - 7.6%
Lehner - 1 out of 33 (.643) - 3.3%

Sub-700 Games -
Freddie 2 out of 52 (.667, .556)
Lehner 1 out of 33 (.643)

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Fred is a fine goalie. Like most he goes through good and bad times. But, if you look at his results over the last 4 years, we really shouldn't complain too much. Other aspects of this team resulted in losses as much, if not moreso, than his performance in the net. Which is not to say he can't, or shouldn't be traded. If you get a good deal for him, trade him. It's not rocket science. Is he worth more to the team if he is moved, or not?

Reactions: CincoHolio and qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Neither are the pinnacle of consistency. Andersen only played 7 games after the restart, and 6 of them were against the league's 4th worst offence.

Here are some numbers for contrast:

Freddie had an amazing November, 2 good games to end the season, a very good playoff, and was well below replacement the rest of the way. In the regular season, he had a below .900 save % in 48% of the games he played this year.

October - Freddie .901 Lehner .936
November - Freddie .938 Lehner .923
December - Freddie .904 Lehner .899
January - Freddie .884 Lehner .904
February - Freddie .920 Lehner .909
playoffs - Freddie .936 Lehner .917

Sub-900 Games
Freddie - 25 out of 52 (48%)
Lehner - 9 out of 33 (27%)

Sub-800 Games
Freddie - 4 out of 52 (.750, .792, .667, .556) - 7.6%
Lehner - 1 out of 33 (.643) - 3.3%

Sub-700 Games -
Freddie 2 out of 52 (.667, .556)
Lehner 1 out of 33 (.643)

Yep. Certainly, Andersen had a down year. That's well established. But no one is saying we need to trade him because of one down season in his last 4. People want to trade him because of his inconsistent playoff performance. Specifically, 2 bad goals.

Yet a player constantly brought up as a replacement had more bad games. Lehner is not a constant netminder. I'm just pointing that out to thethe crowd.

Getting rid of Andersen most likely solves nothing. Almost any replacement will let in bad goals sometimes, and will have bad streaks. Goalies are voodoo, yet the one we have has been one of the most consistent over the last 4 years, and was never responsible for losing a series.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For all goalies in the play-in round and playoffs that played 5 or more games.

Andersen put up 1.84 GAA (2rd ranked) & .936 sv% (3rd ranked). Which are pretty strong #'s for his re-signing.

Goals against average

1. Carey Price, MTL 1.78
2. Frederik Andersen, TOR 1.84
3. Philipp Grubauer, COL 1.87

Save%
1. Joonas Korpisalo, CBJ .941
2. Carey Price, MTL .936
2. Frederik Andersen, TOR .936

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
It allows them to trade him before he walks for nothing.
We can't afford to throw away next season so if there isn't a realistic replacement we are better off keeping him. Everyone seems to think he would only fetch a 2nd anyway so it's not like we'd be missing out on a king's ransom for him.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
It allows them to trade him before he walks for nothing. I think they go with a tandem - which is probably hat they should have done a year or so ago

Look at how the organization treated other players in their final year. Did they try to maximize value, or try to win?

Bozak. JVR. Gardiner. Barrie.

I'd rather go for it with a top goalie, even if we knew he wouldn't be back. We're better with him than not.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Look at how the organization treated other players in their final year. Did they try to maximize value, or try to win?

I'd rather go for it with a top goalie, even if we knew he wouldn't be back. We're better with him than not.

That's partially my point - they've done it too much in the past. Freddie is a a solid goalie who can't steal the big games and lets in costly softies too often.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I tend to agree with this - if you believe you can do some damage in the post-season, keep your pending UFAs and then figure it out in the off-season.

The thing that makes the Andersen situation different than Bozak / JvR / etc., is that I don't think you win with Freddie.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That's partially my point - they've done it too much in the past. Freddie is a a solid goalie who can't steal the big games and lets in costly softies too often.
His body language at times suggests that he's had enough too.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I tend to agree with this - if you believe you can do some damage in the post-season, keep your pending UFAs and then figure it out in the off-season.

The thing that makes the Andersen situation different than Bozak / JvR / etc., is that I don't think you win with Freddie.

I'm not sold either which is why I don't mind going the tandem route.

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
We can't afford to throw away next season so if there isn't a realistic replacement we are better off keeping him. Everyone seems to think he would only fetch a 2nd anyway so it's not like we'd be missing out on a king's ransom for him.

The reason they might get more for him is there are a ton of teams trying to shed salary to get under internal caps. He's a league average starter that is only going to make $1 million this year. That's probably only worth a late first, but if you can get that, and then sign a comparable player for 3 years at $4-5 million, it's worth doing. Examples potentially available - Lehner, Markstrom, Murray, Kuemper, Khudobin, or Greiss.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Yes, this happened in every playoff series he's been involved in. I am an Andersen fan and a backer of his. Cause every goalie lets in softies and at critical times. I brushed them aside but this Columbus series changed that for me. There are only so many times these goals can be brushed aside before you need to consider making a change.

The Atkinson goal irked me, but the Foudy goal was the nail in the coffin. It was brutal, it's an exact replica of goals we've seen before (ex: Joakim Nordstrom Game 7 Bruins) as he seems to let in softies from shots on his glove side, whether it's something low such as the Foudy goal or the famous 2-on-1 in OT glove side snipe which seemed to be a foregone conclusion at lot of the time.

The Leafs weren't scoring and that doesn't help. But in that game, they still had some time for a push to tie it. The second that Foudy goal went in, it was kind of like nope, that is it. wind is out of the sails. We are cooked. We aren't helping you scoring wise, but you just kinda killed us there.

I know I am focusing/exaggerating too much on one goal, but the fact that it just keeps happening... And again I have defended him since he came here and am a fan. But sometimes you need to move on... (Kind of like, there were only so many times you could tolerate Gardiner tossing a pizza up the middle or backing into the corner while the guy drives towards the net, but that is a discussion for another day......)

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad