Friedman: Re: Edmonton: Everything they do is about being a contender next year

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Chiarelli should deliver some Chia specials.

Young players with upside for fringe prospects and what will amount to nothing in a few years.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Trade Drai for OEL (handshake extension in place - 8x8)
Trade RNH for picks + prospects
Off load Lucic (somehow), Russell, Maroon
Let Cammy walk
Sign Tavares, Simmonds, Komarov

Poolparty - McDavid - Simmonds
Caggulia - Tavares - Yamamoto
Kharia - Strome - Komarov
Kassian - Letestu - Shepyshev

OEL - Larrson
Klefblom - Nurse
Sekera - Benning

Talbot

So basically you trade Drai for a comparable cap hit, make trades that no one will accept (Lucic and Russell's horrible contracts) and somehow signing Tavares and Simmonds with McDavid at the highest cap hit in the league?

Pass the J here please.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Also mentioned that they know they haven't matched up to LY, but don't believe they're as bad as this year.

Buckle up.

With this in mind, suggest some pick/prospect/lesser pieces deals suggestions to make Edmonton a contender next season.

its more like tanking 2018 mission confirmed.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
As much as I like RNH and believe centre depth is important, running 28 million dollars worth of them isn't conducive to icing a deep hockey team. Either Draisaitl is permanently moved to the RW or RNH gets moved for a scoring winger. I wouldn't sleep on Max Pacioretty.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
If RNH isn’t moved at the deadline I’d be surprised.

To make the moves they need requires cap space, and all the other higher salary trade candidates are valued by coaching/management, have NMCs and have good reasons why they won’t waive them:

Lucic: play with McDavid/leadership
Sekera: stability of family, shuffled around the league before
Russell: play close to home/family.

Also, trading Sekera coming back from injury and trading Russell the same year he was signed send bad signals to potential free agents, especially since both give up some trade protection summer of 2019.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
More like RNH and Sekera and 2nd
For
Faulk and Skinner

Value aside (and ignoring the proposal you were responding to). Sekera has a NMC, no? He didn't want to sign in Carolina when he was still here and don't see why he would waive it now to come to Carolina. Also, he's a LHD and the Canes have a bit of a glut at LHD already. Lastly, Canes need to add offense, not make a lateral move.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Faulk has stunk this year and Kruger hasn't really even been a good 4th liner this year. I think it would take more than "minor" adjustments.

Ok, what would the Canes need to add to make it work from your perspective? I'm considering that although Faulk hasn't played well this year, he's still a 25yo 3 time All Star RH d-man, on a cost effective contract, and with enough of a successful history to suggest that a change of scenery might be all that's needed to get back on track. And if I recall correctly, he paired well with Sekera when they were both in Carolina.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ok, what would the Canes need to add to make it work from your perspective? I'm considering that although Faulk hasn't played well this year, he's still a 25yo 3 time All Star RH d-man, on a cost effective contract, and with enough of a successful history to suggest that a change of scenery might be all that's needed to get back on track. And if I recall correctly, he paired well with Sekera when they were both in Carolina. Keep in mind that RNH's career hasn't exactly been a model of consistency either, so there's some risk there, as well.
If we are talking about the Drai and Benning for Faulk and Kruger you guys would be adding a 1st and a prospect and Edmonton would probably add a 2nd or 3rd.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ok, what would the Canes need to add to make it work from your perspective? I'm considering that although Faulk hasn't played well this year, he's still a 25yo 3 time All Star RH d-man, on a cost effective contract, and with enough of a successful history to suggest that a change of scenery might be all that's needed to get back on track. Keep in mind that RNH's career hasn't exactly been a model of consistency either, so there's some risk there, as well.

But you didn't ask for RNH in the post I responded to, you asked for Draisaitl? Did you mean RNH?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Counter:
RNH and Benning
for
Faulk and Ryan

[I proposed this a bit ago and most unbiased posters thought that the Oilers would need to add]

RNH for Faulk(if this is what you meant in your first post) makes sense for the Oilers as a base.

If you want Draisaitl... well you won't like the asking price. :)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
RNH for Faulk(if this is what you meant in your first post) makes sense for the Oilers as a base.

If you want Draisaitl... well you won't like the asking price. :)

I'm open to Faulk <------> RNH as a base.

I only put Drai out there because I got the sense that some Oilers posters suggested that you might want to move him for cap reasons AND the 2 franchises seem to "compliment" each other with regard to some strengths and weaknesses. I.e., you've already got a #1 C and we need one. You're likely about to experience $ issues while we've got both the cap space and a new owner who said he's willing to spend if it makes sense.

Is there a Faulk +++ <-----> Drai deal that you'd do that doesn't include current Canes roster players except maybe Rask or Fleury (or lesser players that you're probably not going to value much anyways)? Canes are on the edge of a playoff spot and wouldn't want to disrupt the current roster too much this season, but we do have some very promising prospects, and of course there's always picks. If you need an Aho, TT, Hanifin, or even Lindholm back on top of Faulk, yeah, there's probably not much room for discussion at this point (not arguing value, just the current position the Canes are in)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ok, what would the Canes need to add to make it work from your perspective? I'm considering that although Faulk hasn't played well this year, he's still a 25yo 3 time All Star RH d-man, on a cost effective contract, and with enough of a successful history to suggest that a change of scenery might be all that's needed to get back on track. And if I recall correctly, he paired well with Sekera when they were both in Carolina.
I don't see Faulk as a starting piece for Draisaitl. Faulk's value has dipped, his role on Carolina is decreasing, and he's no long the centrepiece of that blueline. This isn't to say that he has no value, but I don't know if I'd give up Nuge for him 1 for 1 anymore, let alone trying to build a Draisaitl package.

On a side note, what sort of value does Julien Gauthier have within the Hurricanes organization?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I only put Drai out there because I got the sense that some Oilers posters suggested that you might want to move him for cap reasons AND the 2 franchises seem to "compliment" each other with regard to some strengths and weaknesses. I.e., you've already got a #1 C and we need one. You're likely about to experience $ issues while we've got both the cap space and a new owner who said he's willing to spend if it makes sense.

Is there a Faulk +++ <-----> Drai deal that you'd do that doesn't include current Canes roster players except maybe Rask or Fleury (or lesser players that you're probably not going to value much anyways)? Canes are on the edge of a playoff spot and wouldn't want to disrupt the current roster too much this season, but we do have some very promising prospects, and of course there's always picks. If you need an Aho, TT, Hanifin, or even Lindholm back on top of Faulk, yeah, there's probably not much room for discussion at this point (not arguing value, just the current position the Canes are in)
Drai isn't available for cap. He could be available to get a #1 D (if Karlsson could be available then I'd offer up Drai), but not just for cap room.

I'd almost prefer to just keep all 3, move Drai to RW more regularly, and find a better option for our 3C than opting to move out Nuge or Drai unless it makes a ton of sense for us.

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm open to Faulk RNH as a base.
Is there a Faulk +++ Drai deal that you'd do that doesn't include current Canes roster players except maybe Rask or Fleury (or lesser players that you're probably not going to value much anyways)? Canes are on the edge of a playoff spot and wouldn't want to disrupt the current roster too much this season, but we do have some very promising prospects, and of course there's always picks. If you need an Aho, TT, Hanifin, or even Lindholm back on top of Faulk, yeah, there's probably not much room for discussion at this point (not arguing value, just the current position the Canes are in)

Opinions will vary of course, but for me no. Absolutely not.

You're prying Draisaitl out of my cold, dead hands. Players like that are impossible to find.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Problem with Nuge and Faulk is,

I don't see which side adds...

I can make arguments about both sides,

Nuge is legit (1C potential) and would look good next to Skinner.

So I guess Carolina would add, but what's going back?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Others might say there might be, but I've never been a fan of Faulk, and that was before his production absolutely cratered this season.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Faulk and Kruger for Draisaitl and Benning. Minor adjustments as appropriate.
From an outside viewpoint, with no horse in this race....if Draisaitl is your target, then the D going back would need to be better than Faulk.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Does anyone have an idea what piece it would take for someone to take Russell's contract?

Would something like a 2019 1st, Bear, Russell for Mike Green something they'd be interested in?

Or is it kind of the situation where what it takes to unload his contract too much to the point where we should just keep him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad