Friedman: Re: Edmonton: Everything they do is about being a contender next year

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Also mentioned that they know they haven't matched up to LY, but don't believe they're as bad as this year.

Buckle up.

With this in mind, suggest some pick/prospect/lesser pieces deals suggestions to make Edmonton a contender next season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They can always grab futures for a guy like Maroon and use that as currency in the off-season to still upgrade for the following season. Sometimes you can't do everything in 1 move, it can take 2-3. The NHL trade market can be like a game of chess sometimes.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
They can always grab futures for a guy like Maroon and use that as currency in the off-season to still upgrade for the following season. Sometimes you can't do everything in 1 move, it can take 2-3. The NHL trade market can be like a game of chess sometimes.

29 GMs are playing chess - recently Chia and Bergy have been in the corner playing monster trucks.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Right thing to do. Oilers playing with a chip on their shoulder from day 1 is going to be a solid team, try to correct some of the issues they've had this year and they're good to go. No point trying to desperately salvage this season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Right thing to do. Oilers playing with a chip on their shoulder from day 1 is going to be a solid team, try to correct some of the issues they've had this year and they're good to go. No point trying to desperately salvage this season.

I think a summer of not hearing that they're the next big thing /ridiculous Vegas odds should do great things for this group.

I'm one of the most optimistic Oil fans out there and even I thought they'd drop by ~10 points this year and in a dogfight for the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think this means that they'll try to trade their rentals for near NHL ready players. This has happened before, the one that immediately jumped to my mind was Stempniak to the Jets for Carl Klingberg. I think they'll try to get that kind of return for rentals, guys with lower ceilings that should be NHL ready either now or in the near future. Using the Penguins as an example, I think they'd want to do something like Letestu for JS Dea, rather than Letestu for a 3rd.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If Puljujarvi and this year's first are on the table (presumably after the lottery) I can see the Oilers being able to add a very significant piece or two.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think this means that they'll try to trade their rentals for near NHL ready players. This has happened before, the one that immediately jumped to my mind was Stempniak to the Jets for Carl Klingberg. I think they'll try to get that kind of return for rentals, guys with lower ceilings that should be NHL ready either now or in the near future. Using the Penguins as an example, I think they'd want to do something like Letestu for JS Dea, rather than Letestu for a 3rd.

My thoughts as well. Rather than a 2nd for Maroon and a 3rd for Letestu I think they'll work to get young NHLers or AHLers on the cusp like Dea, Amadio, Vatrano, etc.

Something to keep an eye on as well is the Oilers have a ton of short term cap space. Could easily take a bad expiring deal back to help make room for additional deals.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think a summer of not hearing that they're the next big thing /ridiculous Vegas odds should do great things for this group.

I'm one of the most optimistic Oil fans out there and even I thought they'd drop by ~10 points this year and in a dogfight for the playoffs.

Yeah there's no reason to worry. That team has a bright future and i think missing the playoffs is just going to make the guys stronger in the future. Some efforts they had in the first quarter of the season was embarassing and this season is something to look at in the future if they start having those type of games.

And the silver-lining is, missing the playoffs forces the management to make some moves. If they squeeze in it could be just more status quo moving forward.

I really doubt Chiarelli goes insane and starts shopping their best young players. Clearly guys on the back end are having bad years that are easy to bounce back from and their issues up front aren't down the middle.

But for the love of god, get some wingers ! With 3 good C's to build around there's so many possibilities.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Like they’re on their hands and knees, and making the engine noises and crash noises with their mouths, and then they’re in real **** when one of them knocks over the grape juice into the light coloured carpet.
Haha
I wonder what's funnier, that you posted this or I actually visualized in my head after reading it......lol

Reactions: Myers888

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Chiarelli should go hard after Brock Nelson. Trade Puljujarvi and Yamamoto. Possibly a Draisaitl for Kreider deal too. Oilers will be set ...........Chiarelli will redeem himself .............Nurse for Gardiner while hes at it.

:baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad