Friedman: Re: Edmonton: Everything they do is about being a contender next year

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Does anyone have an idea what piece it would take for someone to take Russell's contract?

Would something like a 2019 1st, Bear, Russell for Mike Green something they'd be interested in?

Or is it kind of the situation where what it takes to unload his contract too much to the point where we should just keep him?

He has been pretty good this year. No reason to start coughing up 1st round picks. Yet. I agree his contract is too costly and too much term. However no reason to move him just yet. Oilers aren't in a cap crunch. Check out Cap Friendly for the facts on that.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
He has been pretty good this year. No reason to start coughing up 1st round picks. Yet. I agree his contract is too costly and too much term. However no reason to move him just yet. Oilers aren't in a cap crunch. Check out Cap Friendly for the facts on that.

Is he trending towards positive value in your opinion?

If he's effective than it's all good,

but cap crunch aside moving that cap to address needs somewhere else might be good too.

Especially if he plays to the point where you can trade him for a bottom 6 forward straight up.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

but cap crunch aside moving that cap to address needs somewhere else might be good too.

Especially if he plays to the point where you can trade him for a bottom 6 forward straight up.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that. He has been okay this year. Not someone I rave and rant about when watching the Oilers. That contract though...

Yup totally agree with you on this. If he could be moved without losing really good assets for a need elsewhere... count me in.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Start with OEL (50% retained) for Sekera (50% retained - so Arizona can buy him out in the summer). What's that worth to Chiarelli? To pick up OEL and get out from under Sekera?

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

He's a good #5 defencemen, who you can use on your PK. He isn't a bad player just overplayed, and overpaid. If he was used in a top 6 role, he would look excellent. But he's being used a top 4 D this year and last year but he's not being overwhelmed and has been pretty consistent the entire year.

I would probably keep him this year and next year, and then try to trade him with 2 years left @ 4 M.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Start with OEL (50% retained) for Sekera (50% retained - so Arizona can buy him out in the summer). What's that worth to Chiarelli? To pick up OEL and get out from under Sekera?
Sekera (and Russell) have full NMC's this year and next. Not a chance he waives for Arizona.

Sekera has yet to shake the rust from missing the first half, but he was very good last year. I don't think we'd look at him as a dump when the time comes to move him. Now is definitely not the time, and I'd hope he bounces back down the stretch this year.

When healthy and on his game he's a legit #3. Once his full NMC expires, he'll only have 2 years left at 5.5 per. He could fetch a decent return after free agent frenzy that summer (2019) from teams that may have struck out landing a D man.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sekera (and Russell) have full NMC's this year and next. Not a chance he waives for Arizona.

Sekera has yet to shake the rust from missing the first half, but he was very good last year. I don't think we'd look at him as a dump when the time comes to move him. Now is definitely not the time, and I'd hope he bounces back down the stretch this year.

When healthy and on his game he's a legit #3. Once his full NMC expires, he'll only have 2 years left at 5.5 per. He could fetch a decent return after free agent frenzy that summer (2019) from teams that may have struck out landing a D man.
He's in Edmonton. I don't think waiving to go to Phoenix is that outlandish. Fair enough about his play. I figured you all would be desperate to get rid of him. If not, the whole thing kind of falls apart.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why would they buy out sekera at 2.75m, he would be a steal at that price for arizona.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

rt

May 13, 2004
So are Edmonton fans happy with Sekera and Russell and their contracts? Or do you at least imagine Chiarelli is?

How would you rank your D?

1. Larsson (4m)
2. Nurse (RFA)
3. Klefbom (4m)
4. Benning (RFA)
5. Sekera (5.5m)
6. Russell (4m)

Something like that?

What will it take to get Nurse and Benning signed?

Sorry for derailing. I just don't follow the oilers closely enough obviously and I'm curious.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So are Edmonton fans happy with Sekera and Russell and their contracts? Or do you at least imagine Chiarelli is?

1. Larsson (4m)
2. Nurse (RFA)
3. Klefbom (4m)
4. Benning (RFA)
5. Sekera (5.5m)
6. Russell (4m)

Something like that?

Sorry for derailing. I just don't follow the oilers closely enough obviously and I'm curious.

Sekera was injured until December and hasn't gotten back into his groove yet. I figured when we learned the extent of his injury this would be a lost season for him. Move Sekera above Benning for sure in any normal year.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

1. Larsson (4m)
2. Nurse (RFA)
3. Klefbom (4m)
4. Benning (RFA)
5. Sekera (5.5m)
6. Russell (4m)

Something like that?

Close, but I'd have it:

Larsson > Nurse >> this year's Klefbom (he'll rebound) > Sekera >> Russell > Benning

The fact we have Sekera in a #4 position is testament to the fact this team isn't "that bad", but Klef was a shadow of himself this year... confidence issues I think. Sekera is recovering from a major injury, which, at his age: 1) will happen, but 2) will take time.

Russell, for all his warts has been fine... he is what he is... a great shot blocker and a guy who doesn't make that many mistakes. His outlet pass is obviously a weak spot, but he's a D-man that regains the puck more than most... awkwardly, the hard way, but he get's it. As a #5 he's just fine.

Benning is the guy out there losing games with giveaways left and right. He has potential, he is young, but he's experiencing major growing pains.

Now, given our lack of a puck moving RD, would I rather have Russel's $4M + add another $2M in available cap to get one? YEAH! But how can I do it this summer? I can't, so he stays... no biggie for this year.

Reactions: A91 and TrentonF

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

1. Larsson (4m)
2. Nurse (RFA)
3. Klefbom (4m)
4. Benning (RFA)
5. Sekera (5.5m)
6. Russell (4m)

Something like that?

Benning will and should be cheap. He's taken a step back this season - should be a QO. Maybe a tiny increase.

Nurse's emergence is both a great thing and a challenge. He's made a case for a long term extension between 4.5 and 5.

Klefbom from last year is #1 on that list with a bullet - Klefbom from this year, injured and confused to start the year is probably accurate at #3. Sekera is more interesting though. Last year's Sekera is #2 on that list, IMO. He's still feeling his way back from injury.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Sekera is fine at 5.5M he's good. Russell is a good #5 that is making 1.5-2M more than he should be.

Klefbom is the best defenseman on the Oilers and we will all remember that before the end.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

1. Larsson (4m)
2. Nurse (RFA)
3. Klefbom (4m)
4. Benning (RFA)
5. Sekera (5.5m)
6. Russell (4m)

Something like that?

Last year i'd rank them:

1.Klefbom
2.Sekera
3.Larsson
4.Russell
5.Nurse
6.Benning

This year I'd rank them:

1.Nurse
2.Larsson
3.Russell
4.Klefbom
5.Sekera
6.Benning

Klefbom is playing like complete garbage, all season.

Benning will be very cheap, Nurse - depends if they sign him long term or not, if they do I'd expect somewhere around 4-5m

Reactions: Dan Kelly

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Larsson was the best Dman on the Oilers last season and continues to be the best Dman on the team this season.

Nurse is young, but he's picked the correct season (contract year) to break-out.

Klefbom has an injured shoulder and it's severely impacted his season this year. I'd shut him down and let him heal if I were in charge (which i'm clearly not).

Sekera is having a tough time this season after coming back from a serious knee injury

Russell is a great whipping post for angry fans.

Benning is young and he should be playing on the bottom pairing when he's not in the pressbox.

----

I think Klefbom is the most likely to be traded because Chia loves to trade assets at their lowest value and at least one rival GM is going to know Klefbom is a much better player than he has shown this year.

I doubt Sekera or Russell could be traded at this time (NTC/NMC's), but if either one is available I'd guess Sekera would be the more desirable player.

Reactions: McClelland

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Oh boy, I just cannot wait to see Chia's next move to put Edm finally in contention next year. This is it, boys.
I'm with you....unless the Oilers break the bank for guys like Kane and Tavares as UFA's, I can't see any trades or signings that will suddenly vault them into 'contender' status....but you look at the roster and they sill have a lot of solid pieces......this season is just hard to comprehend.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Posted that in another thread. Curious to see what EDM fans think of this.

MTL:
Oilers 2018 1st (top 10 protected, becomes 2019 1st and 3rd if falls under the protection)
Oilers 2018 2nd
Gryba (Cap dump)
Samorukov Dimitri

EDM:
Gallagher
Lekhonen
Habs 2019 4th rd pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad