Score: 0-2

2nd period:
1.18 - 1.23
Score: 1-3

3rd period:
0.21 - 2.05
Score: 0-0

:laugh:

But considering everything, this is a game that we'd be leading after 40 minutes on most nights. These nights when you don't get even AHL-level goaltending these kinds of things can happen. Play like they did the first 40 minutes and we will have a very good chance to win this series.

Reactions: Neil Racki

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Was pretty hopeful up until the 1-3 goal which was totally on VV. He had his stick in the 5-hole but somehow let it in anyways. That and the scoreless 4 minute PP lost us this game. But, we did dominate them for half a game even if tce did score 3 goals on 9 shots. So that's something i guess.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Again, not acquiring a goalie during trade deadline is an unforgivable mistake. from the very beginning of the season, everything indicated that neither Vanecek nor Samsonov are even close to taking the #1 role. Prove me wrong. I'm just disappointed, that's all. It was an obvious problem that hasn't been resolved at all

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
xGF - xGA:

1st period:
1.40 - 0.35
Score: 0-2

2nd period:
1.18 - 1.23
Score: 1-3

3rd period:
0.21 - 2.05
Score: 0-0

:laugh:

But considering everything, this is a game that we'd be leading after 40 minutes on most nights. These nights when you don't get even AHL-level goaltending these kinds of things can happen. Play like they did the first 40 minutes and we will have a very good chance to win this series.

They looked gassed in the 3rd. No one had any energy to do anything. I don't remember seeing Ovi much in the 3rd either. Think Lavi ended up resting some players.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Good first 23 minutes and we should have had 3-1 lead instead of 1-3.

Well that happens, we know our weak points. But keep up the grind of first 80 minutes of the series and we might just come through.

A bit worried about g3.. but im calling for the bounces to go for us in one game atleast, so let it be saturday.

Only 15 wins to go!

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
What goalie? There weren't any decent ones available at the deadline, at least none we could afford. And going with this tandem during the offseason was less a gamble than it was a cap situation. "...any of the overrated prospects or picks..."? We were capped out, so it would have taken a roster player equal in value to the salary you were taking on.

I don't think anyone was happy that we were stuck with these keepers at the TDL. At best there were a few that shrugged and were willing to deal with it because VV was playing well right then. You showing up now and acting like you told us they were no good and a bunch of people here argued with you? Revisionist bullshit.
There were plenty of posters on here who thought the gm had made the smart move not overpaying for a goalie and we will never know which goalies were absolutely available at the deadline or even as another poster just said, last summer. The core may be too old to win and it could all be for nothing but why not try to win. If the asking price is a roster player like McMichael or even lap, then imo they should have gone for it. Believe plenty of people on here were fans of the team before ovi but there are also a lot that weren't. When ovi, Backstrom go and it becomes like it was before and they have a zero percent shot to win there might be some regret for not trying to win these last 5 year of ovi. They basically folded the last 3 seasons including this one by not getting a real goalie after holtby

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Wilson is a difficult player to replace in this lineup. First, he is a good player. Secondly, somehow, after a full regular season, there isn't a single spare forward who can step in and play decent minutes. Caps are essentially playing a forward short.

Moving Hathaway to the 3rd line simultaneously made two lines worse. Can't disrupt the whole damn line up because of a single injury.

Hey, what does Larsson bring to table? He isn't particularly fast or physical and has zero offense to his game.

Finally, Vanecek is an absolute ass muncher. Hard to believe that two years in a row he is our best option in goal.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Not playing the stars players a lot in the 3rd when you are down by 4 this is normal.
This game was lost anyway so it's better to keep them fresh.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Crappy way to get to this point but going back home 1-1, I think we all would have taken that. This is where Laviolette will be put to the test though. Sammy or VV. Take out VV and I am skeptical you can effectively put him back in this series. Put in Sammy and your ceiling is he steals the series for us with crazy saves, but the floor is he looks like a dreidel with no stick or when he does have his stick makes a dumb pass and crushes the spirits. FWIW I think the Caps are fighting above their weight class and need as much raw talent as they can get in so go Sammy, ride it out, and then say in the offseason our goalies both blow.

The other really interesting part now is what do you at forward. I think Leason went in because Lavi saw a Florida team in game 1 that deliberately tried to hit every Caps player as hard and as often as possible...something that might limit a player like McMichael. Going home and controlling the changes, he has to be in. Speed and skill to keep up.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The only two goalies that probably could have worked were Reimer and Jake Allen but both were injured around the deadline and I think only one ended up coming back anyway. Tough spot.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There were plenty of posters on here who thought the gm had made the smart move not overpaying for a goalie and we will never know which goalies were absolutely available at the deadline or even as another poster just said, last summer. The core may be too old to win and it could all be for nothing but why not try to win. If the asking price is a roster player like McMichael or even lap, then imo they should have gone for it. Believe plenty of people on here were fans of the team before ovi but there are also a lot that weren't. When ovi, Backstrom go and it becomes like it was before and they have a zero percent shot to win there might be some regret for not trying to win these last 5 year of ovi. They basically folded the last 3 seasons including this one by not getting a real goalie after holtby
That’s nuts….these are the move types that make you the Flyers of today.

Last edited:

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Crappy way to get to this point but going back home 1-1, I think we all would have taken that. This is where Laviolette will be put to the test though. Sammy or VV. Take out VV and I am skeptical you can effectively put him back in this series. Put in Sammy and your ceiling is he steals the series for us with crazy saves, but the floor is he looks like a dreidel with no stick or when he does have his stick makes a dumb pass and crushes the spirits. FWIW I think the Caps are fighting above their weight class and need as much raw talent as they can get in so go Sammy, ride it out, and then say in the offseason our goalies both blow.

The other really interesting part now is what do you at forward. I think Leason went in because Lavi saw a Florida team in game 1 that deliberately tried to hit every Caps player as hard and as often as possible...something that might limit a player like McMichael. Going home and controlling the changes, he has to be in. Speed and skill to keep up.

They should give the net to Fucale and ride or die with him. It is what it is. GM gave up on the season when the goalie situation was not addressed. We needed Johansson and Larson like we need Adam Oates telling players what size stick to use. We have AHL level goaltending at best. Might as well have a AHL goalie ride it out.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
My only real complaint (aside from goaltending) is that Dowd and Hathaway should be stapled together.

They played really well for the first ~30 minutes, didn't convert on chances, and then it was over quickly. They're playing an excellent team, they were going to be a bit embarrassed at least once.

Remember the 2011 SCF. The Bruins got outscored significantly by Vancouver, but no one cares because Boston won 4 games. That's possible here.
More than just yesterday I have always hated breaking up multiple lines to replace a single player. You call Hershey if needed and put the best player you can into the guys spot who is out. I always hated losing a 1RW and then RW 2 3 4 ALL move up a line, changing up 4 lines for 1 injury. Sure replacing Tom is hard (skill + physical) but it remains a pet peev of mine when coaches fail to handle injuries to our high standards.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Perhaps its some monday morning quarterbacking but I think yall are right ... shuffle all the lines bc Wilson was out proved to be the wrong move. Lavi has shuffled the line up all year, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

Im glad the players on both sides just skated out the 3rd for the most part.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Perhaps its some monday morning quarterbacking but I think yall are right ... shuffle all the lines bc Wilson was out proved to be the wrong move. Lavi has shuffled the line up all year, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

FWIW it was damn nice to see Sammy didn't let in a flood of goals.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

It was working okay till Vanny let in that softie 3rd goal. I think that's what deflated the team. I wish they were mentally a little stronger. Team as a whole is very fickle.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
They should give the net to Fucale and ride or die with him. It is what it is. GM gave up on the season when the goalie situation was not addressed. We needed Johansson and Larson like we need Adam Oates telling players what size stick to use. We have AHL level goaltending at best. Might as well have a AHL goalie ride it out.
Yeah it is tough, they made their bed now they have to lay in it.

The unfortunate part is that the team around the goalie actually does a lot right, but gets so demoralized by poor goaltending/poor timing to make a save.

You've got a core that is aging but still playing well, should/should have push the chips in and buy the goalie that can help. Like Gibson.

Reactions: Caps8112

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am probably alone but I think its a myth that a coach always has to play a goalie after a win. Sure they want the guy to get in a groove I get it, but trying to ride 1 of our 2 Gs hoping for a miracle just doesn't appear to be the way to be best handle "our situation". If nothing else it throws change ups at our opposition and if we don't have a clear cut #1 after 9 months, stop trying to make 1 because Kuzy scored on a breakaway.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Yeah it is tough, they made their bed now they have to lay in it.

The unfortunate part is that the team around the goalie actually does a lot right, but gets so demoralized by poor goaltending/poor timing to make a save.

You've got a core that is aging but still playing well, should/should have push the chips in and buy the goalie that can help. Like Gibson.
Yes 10000% agree. After that third goal last night I told my wife the game is done. It didn't matter at that point how many more goals Panthers scored. It could have ended 3-1 or 30-1. The game was over.

Its funny. I read Backstroms comments today and he pretty much echoed all of this. He said the third goal took all the momentum away.

You mentioned Gibson but the scary part is that Caps didint even need Gibson. More than half of the leagues goalies are better than Venecec and most of the goalies in the league are better than Samsonov. The numbers do not lie. Caps could have traded for another teams backup and still got better performance out of them.

Its just a stupid situation all around. Especially considering that neither one of the goalies ever solidified themselves. It was always about "potential" right. The writing was on the wall a long time ago. Its not like Caps goalies suddenly started to suck 2 weeks ago.

Last time I recall any team going far with garbage goaltending is 2010 Flyer with Marty Biron in net. Anyone can think of another example?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I am probably alone but I think its a myth that a coach always has to play a goalie after a win. Sure they want the guy to get in a groove I get it, but trying to ride 1 of our 2 Gs hoping for a miracle just doesn't appear to be the way to be best handle "our situation". If nothing else it throws change ups at our opposition and if we don't have a clear cut #1 after 9 months, stop trying to make 1 because Kuzy scored on a breakaway.

I'm with you. Our goalies can't string together 2 wins in a row. If I'm the coach I'm alternating.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
That’s nuts….these are the move types that make you the Flyers of today.
they will be the flyers in just a few seasons anyway. It all depends on how you value low end draft picks that wont be ready for years and wont matter any way. The caps were at a crossroads when they resigned backstrom and ovi. they chose to continue with the core. that is a 4 5 year committment to trying to win. that means that none of the prospects that were currently with the team or any of the draft picks for atleast 3 years matter in any way. If management looks at it any other way then they shouldnt have resigned those two and went scorched earth then. Do you believe Lapierre will win you a cup?

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
they will be the flyers in just a few seasons anyway. It all depends on how you value low end draft picks that wont be ready for years and wont matter any way. The caps were at a crossroads when they resigned backstrom and ovi. they chose to continue with the core. that is a 4 5 year committment to trying to win. that means that none of the prospects that were currently with the team or any of the draft picks for atleast 3 years matter in any way. If management looks at it any other way then they shouldnt have resigned those two and went scorched earth then. Do you believe Lapierre will win you a cup?

This was pretty much my thesis going into the trade deadline.

I'm not going to harp on this until they are eliminated from the postseason because they are still in decent enough shape to advance. But I do wonder why people think Connor McMichael, for instance, is some untouchable asset when the coach won't play him despite an injury to a top 6 forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad