RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
I completely disagree with his 1-way D description, like Gostisbehere and DeAngelo for example. But there are another red flags for me in his game: lack of physical play and low compete level.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
42 career goals, about 100 career points, +24, 68 penalty minutes, 250 shots on goal
and not been drafted yet.

His 42 goals already put him to #80 at OHL all time list : goals by defensemen.
but his 0.467 goals per game avg, ranks 4th all time.

If he scores the number of goals he is pace for, which is 36, that's 15 more
= 57 career goals = ranks #29 in all time list

so, maybe he scores another 30+ goal season in his possible 3rd OHL season?
we'd be talking 90 or more goals,.. well.. that would put him in top 5 in the OHL all time list

Oh yeah and his goals per game avg by defensemen would be the highest of all time

Last edited:
Reactions: bcspragu

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've barely watched him, but he reminds me of a more skilled, less physical, Dumba (when he was young). Jumps up in the play and just stays there, sometimes.

Different than Buium, IMO.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I've barely watched him, but he reminds me of a more skilled, less physical, Dumba (when he was young). Jumps up in the play and just stays there, sometimes.

Different than Buium, IMO.
I’ve watched him a bunch and be really reminds me of Sean Durzi but with an even better shot. I feel like his absolute ceiling is whatever the mid-point is between Durzi and Josi.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I’ve watched him a bunch and be really reminds me of Sean Durzi but with an even better shot. I feel like his absolute ceiling is whatever the mid-point is between Durzi and Josi.

Parekh has more goals in 1 1/2 seasons of OHL play than Durzi had in his entire 4 year career. Hell Parekh has 4 games this year (his 2nd OHL season) with as many or more goals than Durzi has his entire 2nd OHL season. They aren’t in the same stratosphere offensively

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The next Erik Karlsson? Might sound ridiculous, but no one thought he was going to be what he turned out to be, as evidenced by him being drafted 15th.

rt

May 13, 2004
Parekh has more goals in 1 1/2 seasons of OHL play than Durzi had in his entire 4 year career. Hell Parekh has 4 games this year (his 2nd OHL season) with as many or more goals than Durzi has his entire 2nd OHL season. They aren’t in the same stratosphere offensively
Did you mean to respond to my post? It seems like you must be talking to someone else that said something different from what I said.

The next Erik Karlsson? Might sound ridiculous, but no one thought he was going to be what he turned out to be, as evidenced by him being drafted 15th.
Yeah. That’s probably closer than Josi as the other end of the spectrum from Durzi in my comp.

His upside is maybe whatever the mid point is beteeen Durzi and EK, I guess.

Reactions: bert and Dominance

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Every time I view him, I come away more and more impressed to say the least.

I didn’t think last season was repeatable but he has been one of the best players, if not the best this season in the league.

I’m starting to get on the Parekh train to be honest.

rt

May 13, 2004

I didn’t think last season was repeatable but he has been one of the best players, if not the best this season in the league.

I’ve noticed a lot of progress this season, too.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

This class of Dmen is pretty damn talented. I am a recent convert to Buium, but you can't ignore what Parekh is doing, and there might be 4 Dmen who are picked before those two.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Justin Faulk is who he reminds me of. Hopefully he can round out his game like Faulk has over time in the NHL.

Reactions: Blueston

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Justin Faulk is who he reminds me of. Hopefully he can round out his game like Faulk has over time in the NHL.
Maybe ... this is probably too generous of a comparison, and Parekh doesn't dominate the way he did, but he reminds me of Housley stylistically. I know most on here don't remember seeing him play, so the comparison might not be very useful.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Bob Mckenzie was on the Recrutes Draft podcast and said 7/10 scouts had him 11th or higher. Seeing that he was ranked 9th means the other 3 had him very high. He is a polarizing player to say the least
he will be very very polarizing, he does things that make you question his sense and compete defensively, he shows himself to be incredibly cocky and taunts guys alot. the spitting instance this past weekend will only make it worse. is he a high end skill defender who will mature or is he more of a ryan merkley who never did mature

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Parekh is a forward that is listed as a defender and has terrible body language on the ice. These players NHL scouts don’t like very much. Look at Dragicevic.

then the way he composes himself on the ice many teams won‘t like either, he’s cocky, immature and he plays the game as if he is the only player on the ice at times, this isn’t a great trait as a defender.
Said this a few months ago. it‘s something that is super underrated when scouting a player. How they act on the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

30M Backwards Skate
1 – Zayne Parekh (Saginaw Spirit / OHL) — 4.442 seconds

30M Backwards Skate with Puck
2 – Zayne Parekh (Saginaw Spirit / OHL) — 4.603 seconds

I was more surprised to see:
30M backwards skate - 3 - Sam Dickinson 4.482s
30M backwards skate with puck - 1 - Sam Dickinson 4.551s

Parekh didn't get top 5 in any other category and wasn't top 5 overall in the combine results (Luchanko, Dickinson, Wetsch, Sennecke, Elick).

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I was more surprised to see:
30M backwards skate - 3 - Sam Dickinson 4.482s
30M backwards skate with puck - 1 - Sam Dickinson 4.551s

Parekh didn't get top 5 in any other category and wasn't top 5 overall in the combine results (Luchanko, Dickinson, Wetsch, Sennecke, Elick).
That‘s because he’s not actually a good skater, he’s shifty and has very good edge work. But in terms of top speed, he isn‘t elite.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
That‘s because he’s not actually a good skater, he’s shifty and has very good edge work. But in terms of top speed, he isn‘t elite.
Would have expected shiftiness and good edge work to come out somewhere -- maybe in weave agility/with puck, transition ability/with puck, or reaction/with puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad