RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
And would you agree the league got it wrong with those players or should they double down and continue to fade them?
I'm not agreeing with anything considering neither Hutston or Casey (who were just 2 examples off the top of my head) have made the NHL and I don't know if their games will translate. What about all the times drafting a pure OFD didn't work...Ryan Merkley, Adam Boqvist, Ty Smith, etc.

Reactions: Blueston

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
And the league got it wrong with those players. So they should continue to view the draft process through the same narrow lense?

I mean I can kinda buy the skepticism of Dragicevic since he had the skating concerns on top of the defensive question marks but the other two were clear first rounders and only continue to show as such.

And would you agree the league got it wrong with those players or should they double down and continue to fade them?

The sport is as free flowing and open as it’s ever been. There’s no reason his game can’t translate. And even if it doesn’t people act like these guys are robots and are incapable of making adjustments. History suggests otherwise.

Everyone wants a Makar but no one wants to take the “risk” to find that kind of guy.

This debate reminds me of the Jiricek >> Hughes AINEC discussions from this time last year. How are those looking now?
How can you say they made a mistake when neither have even played a game in the NHL? All theyve shown so far is what they were showing last year. High scoring junior players cant make the transition to pro all the time.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm not agreeing with anything considering neither Hutston or Casey (who were just 2 examples off the top of my head) have made the NHL and I don't know if their games will translate. What about all the times drafting a pure OFD didn't work...Ryan Merkley, Adam Boqvist, Ty Smith, etc.
Sure, now list all of the top defensemen in the league today and how they produced as Junior age scorers.

Hughes, Makar, Fox..? People were saying the same things about those guys.

And Ty Smith as a pure OFD is a bit of a reach if we’re being fair.

How can you say they made a mistake when neither have even played a game in the NHL? All theyve shown so far is what they were showing last year. High scoring junior players cant make the transition to pro all the time.
They would certainly go higher in the draft today than they did in June. We don’t need a prospect’s entire career to play out before we can access decision making. If so just shut this board down.

Some high scorers don’t make it, sure, but every star player was a top scorer at the Junior level. It’s a prerequisite to being an impact player in the NHL.

I mean, hell, we’re seeing his teammate from just last season, who played in the same system and same role, making an impact in the NHL in his D+2 and we have people saying it cannot be done.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Boqvist was a weird miss. Man, I thought he'd develop better. Smith and Merkley both had significant issues. Neither of them were elite at anything, but offensive awareness and a smooth skating ability. They were both under 5'11" and played the game like they were 5'7". Both got outmuscled often. Smith could still pan out an NHL career.

Parekh plays a little bigger and has a really good 1st step explosiveness. I like him a lot more than all 3 of those guys mentioned.

Makar had an explosive 1st step too with an elite shot and overall great skating ability. He played weak competition and was very average defensively in a bad junior league. He developed rapidly the next couple years. He wasn't even that outstanding of a prospect. A lot of it came from development

The 1st step explosiveness is a trait you'll see in a handful of prospects each year. It's one of the most valuable traits to have, especially when coupled with skill + hockey IQ. Almost all of the best players have it; Mackinnon, Mcdavid, Makar, etc. It's the reason why I was ridiculously high on Lardis, Pekarcik, Gulyayev, and Willander in this past draft. Parekh has a good first step from what I've seen, but I'm not sure it's an elite one(still trying to gauge it). I recommend taking note of these players with elite first step movements in the future.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
And the league got it wrong with those players. So they should continue to view the draft process through the same narrow lense?

I mean I can kinda buy the skepticism of Dragicevic since he had the skating concerns on top of the defensive question marks but the other two were clear first rounders and only continue to show as such.

The sport is as free flowing and open as it’s ever been. There’s no reason his game can’t translate. And even if it doesn’t people act like these guys are robots and are incapable of making adjustments. History suggests otherwise.

Everyone wants a Makar but no one wants to take the “risk” to find that kind of guy.

This debate reminds me of the Jiricek >> Hughes AINEC discussions from this time last year. How are those looking now?
But Jiricek IS better than L. Hughes and it is not even close. Its easy to have shitty advanced stats on playoff team with superstars, it is very hard to have best defensive impact on bottom feeder team like Columbus. Look also at Nemec for example, yikes! NJ prospects are overrated with huge holes in their game. I would rather have big two way beasts like Weber or Seider than two Josh Baileys as my top pair guys.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
But Jiricek IS better than L. Hughes and it is not even close. Its easy to have shitty advanced stats on playoff team with superstars, it is very hard to have best defensive impact on bottom feeder team like Columbus. Look also at Nemec for example, yikes! NJ prospects are overrated with huge holes in their game. I would rather have big two way beasts like Weber or Seider than two Josh Baileys as my top pair guys.
Lol.

Yeah I don’t think Josh Bailey would fly on the top pair either.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Only a sport like hockey can take an impressive feat like a defenseman leading his team in scoring as a draft eligible and turn it into an actual negative. It’s amazing. :laugh:
Look at Andrew Cristall, Jordan Dumais, Lane Hutson, Jagger Firkus, Lukas Dragicevic or William Villeneuve amd where they were drafted, all put up amazing draft years for their respected teams and none were drafted inside the top-32.

There’s more to playing hockey than scoring points against junior aged competition.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Look at Andrew Cristall, Jordan Dumais, Lane Hutson, Jagger Firkus, Lukas Dragicevic or William Villeneuve amd where they were drafted, all put up amazing draft years for their respected teams and none were drafted inside the top-32.

There’s more to playing hockey than scoring points against junior aged competition.
I don't even know what you are arguing at this point. Most of the guys you named have already outperformed their draft position, or will shortly.

...So you're suggesting that the league should ding another guy for being too offensive and probably look foolish in the end? Weird stance.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I don't even know what you are arguing at this point. Most of the guys you named have already outperformed their draft position, or will shortly.

...So you're suggesting that the league should ding another guy for being too offensive and probably look foolish in the end? Weird stance.
There's more to being a good prospect than scoring in juniors. People keep telling you that, and you're ignoring all the other flaws in these players games. No one is or has been questioning the offensive capabilities of Parekh, Cristall, Hutson, etc. etc. We're questioning the defensive play....the skating...the decision making...whatever it is. They all have some attribute(s) that kept them from being drafted in the first round (or highly in the first).

Parekh is clearly very talented offensively. Everyone can see that. The question is can he play the way he is right now in the NHL. Does he have to adjust his game to be this successful in the next level, and if so, is he capable of doing so?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There's more to being a good prospect than scoring in juniors. People keep telling you that, and you're ignoring all the other flaws in these players games. No one is or has been questioning the offensive capabilities of Parekh, Cristall, Hutson, etc. etc. We're questioning the defensive play....the skating...the decision making...whatever it is. They all have some attribute(s) that kept them from being drafted in the first round (or highly in the first).

Am I ignoring their flaws or are people over exaggerating their flaws because they "don't play the game the right way"? Someone mentioned William Villeneuve earlier. Great DY production and one of the worst skaters I ever saw at that level. That's a noteworthy criticism. Not these cookie cutter replies.

Yes, points aren't everything. Thank you for pointing that out. If you want to be a star though, you have to produce. And if you produce at a level rarely seen as a draft eligible, then your chances of becoming a star are exponentially higher.

The Norris trophy winner last year was one of the worst defenders in the league and was still one of the most valuable players in the league? Why? Net impact is the only thing that matters in sports. A DEFENSEmen does not have to be good, or even average, defensively to be a top player. Does it help? Sure does. Requirement? No.

Parekh is clearly very talented offensively. Everyone can see that. The question is can he play the way he is right now in the NHL. Does he have to adjust his game to be this successful in the next level, and if so, is he capable of doing so?
Instead of me rambling again, why don't you think his style of play would work in the NHL?

Reactions: Dominance

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

No one is saying those players don’t have flaws. There are almost no draft prospects who don’t have elements to their game that need further development, including supposedly more “well-rounded” players. Not scoring at a prolific level in juniors is indicative of a flaw when you’re grading players against each other. The question is why do the flaws you cite take priority over the flaws that the well-rounded but less-prolific players have?

Every prospect is a probability distribution. Some players have a distribution with a long tail — they have high impact/elite outcomes in their distribution to varying degrees of probability. Other players don’t have high impact outcomes in their distribution at all, but perhaps have higher likelihood of mid-impact outcomes. The point being made is that if you are searching for elite outcomes, then there are general prerequisites, including elite junior scoring.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Makar was on another level entirely. It wouldn‘t be fair to compare Parekh to him. Tony Deangelo or Erik Gustavsson are the best current NHL comps for Parekh in my opinion.
And if that’s what you get, I think that’s worth a top 10 pick. But it’s not that likely, which is why I wouldn’t pick him top 10. Top 20 or 25 is more palatable to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not yet. How could you argue that yet? Neither has reached the NHL.

I would’ve had Hutson higher at the draft. Casey went around where I had him. I like both players, but there’s still a lot of risk, and them doing what you’d expect since being drafted doesn’t prove they will succeed in the NHL. It doesn’t mean anything negative either. We have to wait to make this judgement.

Reactions: Blueston

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not yet. How could you argue that yet? Neither has reached the NHL.

I would’ve had Hutson higher at the draft. Casey went around where I had him. I like both players, but there’s still a lot of risk, and them doing what you’d expect since being drafted doesn’t prove they will succeed in the NHL. It doesn’t mean anything negative either. We have to wait to make this judgement.
So when you put together your draft list every year you just do it once and publish it and wait to see if they make it to the NHL to determine if you were right or not? No self reflection in between? Because that's essentially what you are arguing. That is a bad process.

Lane Huston could not play a single NHL game and he would still be a successful draft pick. He went from near 3rd rounder to a top tier asset in less than a year. That's unbelievable surplus value added to the organization. Casey less so, but he would still go in the first round of a re-draft. That's a good draft pick.

We can play the what-if game all we want, but the best indicator of future success is dominating the level beneath the top level. Hutson and Casey are having historic seasons. Hutson for the second year running. If we can't say the league got it wrong with those two, shut this forum down.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If you count in his play-offs goal and preseason goals, he has scored 50 goals in the OHL
in 108 games (112 points), for the Saginaw Spirit, in his 16 and 17 year old seasons..

I know its the OHL, the highest scoring CHL league but still

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
If he hits 40 goals at any point in junior - i’ll change my PFP to anything of your choosing for one week.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if this is the best goal scoring season of his junior career.

Currently on pace for 33 regular season tucks this year (his draft eligible year) and Saginaw is going to be a wagon here on out. Only affording him more opportunities. He’s only 3 behind last year and it’s only early January.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Currently on pace for 33 regular season tucks this year (his draft eligible year) and Saginaw is going to be a wagon here on out. Only affording him more opportunities. He’s only 3 behind last year and it’s only early January.
Yeah, I don’t understand how he does it - but he is the best goal scoring defender I have seen in a long time.

He is able to fool goalies like no defender I have seen in the OHL. It’s insane. I was definitely wrong with that take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad