RD Timothy Liljegren - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 17th, TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
He could boom or bust like every prospect I have no idea, but posting about guys who fell and we're a success is only half the story. For every Forsberg and Fowler there is also a MPS and a Gormley.

This has Fowler written all over it.

Leafs got the steal of the draft, a legitimate top-5 talent even though it's a weak draft and they made the playoffs.

The leafs rebuild just took a massive leap.

This cannot be downplayed. The other GMs will soon look like the moronic idiots who took Dylan McIlrath over Cam Fowler for no apparent reason at all.

This... is... huge.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
There's obviously a reason he dropped to 17 so he doesn't come without risk, but there's also a reason a lot of people though he may go #1 before the year started. It's because his ceiling is as elite as any player in the draft and that's undeniable. Before the year started I wanted another year of tanking so they could draft none other than Liljegren so needless to say I'm very happy with how this all worked out!

member 147413

I'm very happy we got Liljegren (sp?) at 17. An extremely talented player with a tremendous ceiling.

That said, fallers like this are very hard to project so I'm not getting my hopes too high. Toronto management has appeared to be doing well in the draft lately so that gives me confidence, but I'm not pencilling a mid 1st round pick into our "future" lineup until I see more.

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
i couldn't be happier with the outcome of last night's draft. I remember all of the talk last off season after drafting Matthews' being that we need to bottom out for one more season and draft Liljegren to compete out core. Fast forward a year, and all of our prized rookies lived up to and even exceeded expectations, and we still got the player that all of Leaf Nation wanted. And I mean this honestly, I've never seen the Leaf board so united as the draft played out and the idea of drafting Liljegren became a reality.

Sure he could bust. Sure he may not live up to our expectations. But I will always gamble on high end skill over another Freddie Gauthier at this stage of the draft. The fact that he has Mark Hunter and our front office believing in him is enough for me. I'm very excited to follow his progress and couldn't be happier to add him to the Leafs. He is exactly the type of prospect that we needed

Tyler Myers

Feb 8, 2009
Sydney
What a season, 12 months ago if I told you Matthews would score more than 40+, make the playoffs and draft Liljegren. What would you tell me ahahah :P

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What a season, 12 months ago if I told you Matthews would score more than 40+, make the playoffs and draft Liljegren. What would you tell me ahahah :P
What team did we either rip off or what team did we trade Marner/Nylander for a top 5 pick.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Seeing Karlssons name a few times in this thread. Ignoring Karlsson's progression post draft, I think the key difference between the two is the fact that Karlsson was a huge riser in his draft year while Liljegren was a faller.

Great pick by the Leafs!

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Damn... jealous of the Leafs on this one. I was hoping he'd keep falling to the Jets :laugh: at 17, this is a good "gamble" (with all of the falling talk).

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Chychrun was ~12th ranked in a very good draft, Liljegren was ~17th ranked in a very poor draft. Liljegren is more of a gamble, also including that Chycrun has much better physical tools. But I like the pick, rather take a risky player in a weak draft with mid-round first than take mediocre 3rd line ceiling player.

2017 is only poor in the top few picks. If you remove the top 5 from 2016 and 2017 they are pretty comparable. It's not a weak draft in terms of 10-30 ranked players.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
lol developing the narrative already. Liljgren was a top 5 talent and then he sucked. That's why he fell to 17. Top 20 talent maybe, not top 5

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
lol developing the narrative already. Liljgren was a top 5 talent and then he sucked. That's why he fell to 17. Top 20 talent maybe, not top 5

Disagree. His "talent" and skill are definitely top-5.

His bad season is why he fell, but if he has a good season next year you can bet your ass everyone will say "it was mono".

Either way, good pick for the Leafs because he hit our biggest wants; high ceiling and rhd. Most of us are being reasonable about it, but you'll of course see the Karlsson comparisons from our fan base. I guarantee anywhere he went you'd see them.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He is the best player outside the NHL. No team could find a place for him though, but I hear Toronto has a bit of room on the back end.

Sportsnet: Steal of the draft. He is like Erik Karlsson with the defensive game of Drew Doughty

Man, some of you are just sad.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Haven't caught up with any of the draft yet, but I'm seriously hoping the Leafs trade into the top 2 to get this guy. I'd compare him to Erik Karlsson, if Karlsson was a beast defensively in his draft year.

Anywhere beyond #1 he's going to be the steal of the decade.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Haven't caught up with any of the draft yet, but I'm seriously hoping the Leafs trade into the top 2 to get this guy. I'd compare him to Erik Karlsson, if Karlsson was a beast defensively in his draft year.

Was this supposed to be a quote from 9 months ago?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

So you're saying you don't see he was picked @ 17 by TOR in the title there?
He also isn't "beast defensively" currently.
He is, however, a great pick for TOR and he has elite potential. TOR has good people to help him where he needs it. Now it's up to him to do it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Late to the party, but this is a very good pick by the Leafs. He seems like a match made in heaven for their young core, especially if he steps into the NHL in a year or two. I think they got a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad