RD Timothy Liljegren - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 17th, TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
KW
glad he was selected by the Leafs.

kids a turn over machine with low iq.

If you people think we are making this up, we are not. Its been debated over and over again.

Low iq defensemen, turnover machine, Canucks didn't even interview him.

Lower league mens league picked him apart, will most likely be picked apart at the NHL level.

Love seeing the Leafs make these error picks.

Glad Vancouver passed on him.

Last time Canucks passed on a guy Toronto took in the 1st round, we got Nylander and Benning took Virtanen.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

If you people think we are making this up, we are not. Its been debated over and over again.

Lower league mens league picked him apart, will most likely be picked apart at the NHL level.

A Canucks fan saying the Leafs don't know how to draft?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs are good at drafting forwards. No guarantees about defencemen.

Of course Liljegren is now THE greatest steal of the decade, when the hype train strikes again.

No, they've been drafting forwards in the first round the past 5 years that's why. Rielly was a great pick in 2012.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012

Who is "you people" and who is "we" and why would "you people" think that "we" are making up - or lend any credit to - "we" declaring that Timothy Liljegren is a "turn over machine with a low [IQ]"?

Canucks may not have interviewed him, but 28 other clubs did. Certainly, "we" know that citing one club choosing not to interview a player while the majority of the league does shouldn't be used as a point of sufficiency if the implication is due diligence, right, lawrence?

Now when you say you love the Leafs making "these error picks", do I take it you've been away from following hockey for a number of years? Well in the event you have been, there's some things you should probably know: Vancouver appears to have not interviewed William Nylander either because in 2014, Vancouver selected Jake Virtanen instead of William Nylander. They may not have interviewed David Pasternak either, having decided to take Jared McCann instead. Now is this what you mean by "error picks"? When teams select a player they shouldn't have but could have had better with perhaps a little more...due diligence?

As a Leafs fan I know what it means for a management group to make "error picks" and to mismanage those "truth picks" in the event we were fortunate enough to select a quality asset. But somewhere around 2009 it seems our fortunes changed in making less "error picks" than in the past. Exclude 2010 and 2011 as master classes on "error picking" and by the time the 2014 Entry Draft is finished, we're more in the "truth picks" model than we have been as a club in a very, very long time.

Pre-mononucleosis Lilejgren seemed a different player than post-mononucleosis Liljegren and in a number of interviews, his poorer play is chalked up to coming back too soon which led to a year in which Heiskanen rose and he fell. But...He fell in the first round from the #2 position in September (and in some lists, #1) while players like Hischier and Heiskanen rose on the basis of their final pre-draft campaigns. That's important for a number of reasons, but chiefly that Timothy Liljegren played through adversity and was important enough for 28 out of 31 teams to interview.

I mean think about this concept of "error picks" - and in Vancouver's case, recently so - where you're on the board and Matthew Tkachuck is available but you select Olli Juolevi? That seems (granted, in hindsight) like an "error pick". And yet, you're ready to render "error status" before Liljegren has played a single game post-draft. Now call me old-school, but I always thought the best way to lend credibility to criticism was to have an argument that employed facts and reason. Perhaps "we" need to consider the reality of each club's situations before enthusiastically throwing stones?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Last time Canucks passed on a guy Toronto took in the 1st round, we got Nylander and Benning took Virtanen.
Was thinking the same thing :laugh: You'd think Canucks fans would learn not to throw stones after that and last year when Benning took Juolevi over Tkachuk.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Sorry lefs fans for some canucks fans here, jesus

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Every year, there's usually 1 first rounder who drops in the draft and is deemed a "Steal". Not sure why it's wrong for Leafs fans to do this. Caps fans did that with Forsberg and Ducks fans with Fowler (2 recent examples).
There's so much Leaf hate on here it's hilarious.
And I have to question why the Canucks would not have met with him since almost every other team did. Maybe they just don't know what they are doing?

dubey

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 60 in 73 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

LOL

And if fans of other teams need to look to us to get enjoyment as a result of their own bleak future, then by all means :)
Every year, there's usually 1 first rounder who drops in the draft and is deemed a "Steal". Not sure why it's wrong for Leafs fans to do this. Caps fans did that with Forsberg and Ducks fans with Fowler (2 recent examples).
There's so much Leaf hate on here it's hilarious.
And I have to question why the Canucks would not have met with him since almost every other team did. Maybe they just don't know what they are doing?
I don't see him as a steal. I haven't read through this thread but I can only imagine some of the responses. If this guy was a surefire #1 he would have been picked a lot earlier.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Who is "you people" and who is "we" and why would "you people" think that "we" are making up - or lend any credit to - "we" declaring that Timothy Liljegren is a "turn over machine with a low [IQ]"?

Canucks may not have interviewed him, but 28 other clubs did. Certainly, "we" know that citing one club choosing not to interview a player while the majority of the league does shouldn't be used as a point of sufficiency if the implication is due diligence, right, lawrence?

Now when you say you love the Leafs making "these error picks", do I take it you've been away from following hockey for a number of years? Well in the event you have been, there's some things you should probably know: Vancouver appears to have not interviewed William Nylander either because in 2014, Vancouver selected Jake Virtanen instead of William Nylander. They may not have interviewed David Pasternak either, having decided to take Jared McCann instead. Now is this what you mean by "error picks"? When teams select a player they shouldn't have but could have had better with perhaps a little more...due diligence?

As a Leafs fan I know what it means for a management group to make "error picks" and to mismanage those "truth picks" in the event we were fortunate enough to select a quality asset. But somewhere around 2009 it seems our fortunes changed in making less "error picks" than in the past. Exclude 2010 and 2011 as master classes on "error picking" and by the time the 2014 Entry Draft is finished, we're more in the "truth picks" model than we have been as a club in a very, very long time.

Pre-mononucleosis Lilejgren seemed a different player than post-mononucleosis Liljegren and in a number of interviews, his poorer play is chalked up to coming back too soon which led to a year in which Heiskanen rose and he fell. But...He fell in the first round from the #2 position in September (and in some lists, #1) while players like Hischier and Heiskanen rose on the basis of their final pre-draft campaigns. That's important for a number of reasons, but chiefly that Timothy Liljegren played through adversity and was important enough for 28 out of 31 teams to interview.

I mean think about this concept of "error picks" - and in Vancouver's case, recently so - where you're on the board and Matthew Tkachuck is available but you select Olli Juolevi? That seems (granted, in hindsight) like an "error pick". And yet, you're ready to render "error status" before Liljegren has played a single game post-draft. Now call me old-school, but I always thought the best way to lend credibility to criticism was to have an argument that employed facts and reason. Perhaps "we" need to consider the reality of each club's situations before enthusiastically throwing stones?

Preach

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
LOL

And if fans of other teams need to look to us to get enjoyment as a result of their own bleak future, then by all means :)

Dont fall for such an obvious bait.

Canucks prospect pool right now is among one of the best in the nhl.

They need 3 more years, like toronto did after the rielly draft

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
There's been a thread bumped up on the Leafs board about how 1 year ago, Leaf fans felt they should "Tank" for a top pick and named Liljegren as the guy to get. 1 year later they made the playoffs and still got Liljegren. Why the hell would Leaf fans not be delighted?
Mono is the only reason he went 17 overall. He has elite skill and can be a #1 RH D.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

You had him ranked 6th in the draft and would've been okay with the Canucks drafting him at 5th.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=131846357&postcount=184

And,

Happy: Necas, Petterson, Makar
Okay: Glass, Liljegren
Upset: no one in particular, I trust managements decision on whoever they decide to go for.
Livid:

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Classic case of a prospect being talked about waaaay to much because the leafs took him... I mean pump the brakes here. You guys are hyping him up more than Devils and flyers fans are hyping Nico and Nolan. Stop acting like you got the best player in the draft. Not the best player let alone dman, he has a LOT of work to do before ever even sniffing an NHL top 4 dman.

Someone's jealous

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Dont fall for such an obvious bait.

Canucks prospect pool right now is among one of the best in the nhl.

They need 3 more years, like toronto did after the rielly draft

Canucks really need to work on the forward group. And I worry about their management group overall. They signed Loui Eriksson 1 year ago. That was just horrible. And the Sedins are just hurting them at this point. They should be blowing it up like the Leafs did.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Canucks really need to work on the forward group. And I worry about their management group overall. They signed Loui Eriksson 1 year ago. That was just horrible. And the Sedins are just hurting them at this point. They should be blowing it up like the Leafs did.

This is the 1st real year of rebuild

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

That's because Linden admitted they are "Rebuilding", but clearly they should have started a long time ago. They don't seem to have a clear plan like the Leafs had in rebuilding. And Benning and Linden are no Lou/Shanahan/Dubas/Hunter.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Congratulations to the Leafs for selecting Liljegren. But please don't make 500 threads about him, like you do for Matthews.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
LOL

I don't see him as a steal. I haven't read through this thread but I can only imagine some of the responses. If this guy was a surefire #1 he would have been picked a lot earlier.

Too early to say whether he's definitively a steal or not. He has the potential to be, but he'll have to prove that his drop in the draft compared to his 16-17 pre-season ranking was mostly due to mono. If he does and he shows a return to that form there will be GMs kicking themselves for letting him slip.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

It's not that bad to watch a young, growing team develop if your management team is adept with what they are doing. I had a lot of fun just following Marner/Nylander, etc. I'd rather that than the a mediocre, aging team with no future competing for a lower playoff speed year to year.

One of the bigger reasons why Benning has been incompetent is he has no clear direction. He signs Eriksson, Ryan Miller to bloated deals and completely blew his shot at a high-end prospect with Virtanen and to a way lesser degree, Juolevi (I know it's early but I wasn't a huge fan of the pick from the start, my post history shows how high I was on Sergachev that year). Juolevi will be a NHL'er, just not sure he's a high-end talent prospect you'd want on a team in desperate need of it. Blowing a high end pick like that is essentially, a year of a rebuild wasted and the trickle down effect from this can be troublesome.

Pettersson is a step in the right direction, he was my BPA at #5 and I would have personally taken him at #3 as per my mock. The problem is he needs a lot of direction by management to push him in the right direction. He needs to get way stronger and work on his lower body- which our staff has done a great job with in Kadri and Willy. Can't afford to let a player get away from them again as they did with Virtanen. I mean, besides the fact he wasn't that talented or BPA, he was well overweight after an off-season. That should never happen.

My two cents, Canucks are finally in a good spot now for a real rebuild but they need to get rid of Benning before any profound change- maybe Linden and revamp the management team. It's reminiscent of Nonis, pre-Babcock, Lou, Dubas, Hunter. He did similarly stupid moves like the Phaneuf/Kessel, Robidas, deal, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->