RD Timothy Liljegren - Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
He definitely looked solid today to be honest... Just not sure I'm seeing any top pair potential. Also dahlin is miles ahead of any of the Swedish dmen that played today. And that's not a knock on them.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Liljegren with 3 points. And no gimme points like that one Makar got from Kyrou's goal. Liljegren made great plays for each point.

The Anderson goal was a gimme point lol bran made a sick play lilj made a d to d pass lmfao. On a different note, who the hell is #3 on swedens D. He has been the worst player on the ice by far

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Was really excited when Liljegren fell to us but have so far been pretty disappointed. He has good offensive abilities but he was making me yell at the tv with some of the passes he was trying and plays he was making. Holds on to the puck for far too long and he has tunnel vision at the net 24/7. Use your teammates bud!

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
He was hard on himself after the game today and I thought he was one of the better players on the ice easily. Says a lot about his standards and expectations on what he can be.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
He was hard on himself after the game today and I thought he was one of the better players on the ice easily. Says a lot about his standards and expectations on what he can be.

He was hard on himself because he was kind of bad imo

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
The Anderson goal was a gimme point lol bran made a sick play lilj made a d to d pass lmfao. On a different note, who the hell is #3 on swedens D. He has been the worst player on the ice by far

He held the line on a quick clearing attempt and made a pass as soon as the puck settled to avoid the closing PKer.

It was a good, heads up play, "lmfao".

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
As long as he has the raw tools (speed, agility, wrister), I'm confident Babcock will mold him into something useful.

:yo:

Even if he just tops out as a #4, that's pretty good for a mid first round pick in a soft draft.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Just watched the game and admittedly wasn't as impressed with Timmy today as I was on Wednesday. Wasn't as poised with the puck it seemed and flubbed a few easy passes in transition.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Kid is incredibly talented

Will be scary good in a couple years

Leafs won't rush him either. Let him develop like they did with nylander and Marner

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
My thoughts on Liljegren thus far.

Thus far, since the draft in both development camp and in this WJSS Liljegren has great poise in the defensive end with his gap control, willingness to mix it up along the boards, tracking his man in the defensive zone, and transitioning the puck out of the zone up ice. His skating and edgework are elite allowing him to quickly create separation between himself and checking forwards. In transition he seems to really excel whether it is with an up ice pass, or skating with the puck on the rush. In the offensive zone he has displayed good decision making with the puck and when deciding when to hold the line or retreat. His wrist shot has been effective thus far finding its way to the net and through traffic.

The cons that I have observed thus far are occasionally a tendency to fumble/overskate the puck. He also seems to force some of his shots. Additionally, sometimes tries too hard to make something happen. He would benefit from occasionally circling back towards the blueline on his rush, if there is no scoring chance to allow his teammates to catch up with him, and maintain possession.

Two things that have really become apparent is that the criticism of a lack of defensive prowess have been largely overblown with him being sound in that regard and not a detriment to his team, and he has shown a willingness to play and succeed in playing all three zones. The other thing is that there seems to be no problem with his hockey sense and hockey IQ. This is evident in the decisions he makes in the defensive end, transitioning the puck up ice and out of the zone, and his ability to create offensively. It appears this perception may have arose from either the effects of his mono, or him trying to do too much and sometimes forcing plays, likely a result of trying to impress in a draft year filled with adversity.

He seems well on his way to rebounding from this past season, and in my opinion is again beginning to show the same promise that he had entering into this past season. The Leafs may prove to be very happy with this 17th overall pick, if continues to progress from these early viewings, since the draft. It is telling that in the stands were the Leafs GM, AGM, AGM/DPP, and head coach all watching his play. There maybe a good chance he plays with the Marlies this year, and if he has a good camp maybe a shot at the big club with the lack of depth at RHD.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trying to do too much, forcing shots, skating into trouble, etc... are symptoms of poor hockey IQ.

Can't just excuse those defects by assuming he was trying to impress scouts or maintain his draft position.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Trying to do too much, forcing shots, skating into trouble, etc... are symptoms of poor hockey IQ.

Can't just excuse those defects by assuming he was trying to impress scouts or maintain his draft position.

Have you watched any of the WJSS? Pretty much every player on the ice is forcing shots and has a shoot first mentality. The purpose of the whole thing is that it is exactly what the name implies a "showcase" for players to show the their national teams and NHL scouts and management what they can do. It is interesting that out of that entire post you focus on the cons section to make an evaluation about hockey IQ, but do not seem to mention or take into account all the other areas where he has displayed good hockey IQ.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

It's summer hockey and he's playing great overall.

A bunch of goofballs in here. Don't understand why people feel the need to tear down prospects because they're a Toronto Maple Leaf. I know the Leafs are the biggest franchise, with the most fans, the most money, and a bright future; however, that's no excuse to tear down 17 year olds for no reason.

Look at the Brannstrom thread in comparison. ONE good game in summer junior hockey and "oh god what a steal", "he's going to be a great one", etc. Meanwhile Liljegren has a great performance and you have 6 people coming in to say "he went 17th overall for a reason!" or even people making new accounts just to rip on him lol.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

A bunch of goofballs in here. Don't understand why people feel the need to tear down prospects because they're a Toronto Maple Leaf. I know the Leafs are the biggest franchise, with the most fans, the most money, and a bright future; however, that's no excuse to tear down 17 year olds for no reason.

Look at the Brannstrom thread in comparison. ONE good game in summer junior hockey and "oh god what a steal", "he's going to be a great one", etc. Meanwhile Liljegren has a great performance and you have 6 people coming in to say "he went 17th overall for a reason!" or even people making new accounts just to rip on him lol.

It's rather funny that a majority of the people ripping on him are Sens, Oilers or Canucks fans.

I wouldnt sweat it tho. The fact some people are going to such lengths to bring down a prospect tells me they already hate the idea of the Leafs being this young superteam.

Vegas has the Leafs as the 9th favorite to win the cup. This place is going to get real ugly when the Leafs start contending year in year out.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It's rather funny that a majority of the people ripping on him are Sens, Oilers or Canucks fans.

I wouldnt sweat it tho. The fact some people are going to such lengths to bring down a prospect tells me they already hate the idea of the Leafs being this young superteam.

Vegas has the Leafs as the 9th favorite to win the cup. This place is going to get real ugly when the Leafs start contending year in year out.

Or it may get REALLY quiet. Just like when Nylander, Marner, and Matthews started to perform. Those people who we came to know and love disappeared pretty quickly.

I'm willing to bet the same thing happens to Liljegren. The Leafs have some of the best European scouts in the business, especially when it comes to Swedes. Mark Hunter has drafted and been around the development of countless star players at a young age. You just have to trust their judgement and they've given us zero reason to doubt it.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

Brannstrom had a great first two periods and bad 3rd period. The perception around his play certainly wasn't hurt by Button praising nearly every single thing he did, including a simple dump in from center ice (no joke) while keeping mum when Brannstrom couldn't exit the zone and consequently got his unit hemmed in several times and iced the puck unnecessarily twice.

Neither of Brannstrom or Liljegren were mistake-free today but Brannstrom got much more positive attention in the broadcast (which is fine, he's a great prospect) and yet only got 1A while Liljegren got 1G + 2A.

The HF response is funny though. No experts educating the masses of Brannstrom's deficiencies today in his thread while Liljegren gets all the negative attention from non-Leafs fans.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

It's definitely an interesting contrast.

All Leaf prospects get treated like this though. The Marner, Nylander and Matthews threads were some next level awful. "Gagner 2.0" for Marner and Nylander and just plain old downplaying of Matthews (and especially his offensive abilities) in his.

Doesn't help that some Leaf fans can't seem to stop making hyperbolic posts, which only feeds the posters who rip on Leaf prospects and generalize the fanbase.

Love Brannstrom though. He's going to be a very, very good player.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
While I didn't do formal rankings this year, Cale Makar was on my "bad pick" list and Liljegren and Brannstrom were good value picks.

It's only been a few summer games, but it's starting to show itself. Not saying Makar can't be anything, but he's a big project and I see him as bad value inside the top 10

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It's definitely an interesting contrast.

All Leaf prospects get treated like this though. The Marner, Nylander and Matthews threads were some next level awful. "Gagner 2.0" for Marner and Nylander and just plain old downplaying of Matthews (and especially his offensive abilities) in his.

Doesn't help that some Leaf fans can't seem to stop making hyperbolic posts, which only feeds the posters who rip on Leaf prospects and generalize the fanbase.

Love Brannstrom though. He's going to be a very, very good player.

Aside from Liljegren on Sweden, I have been impressed with Brannstrom and Lias Andersson. I think they both have decent NHL careers ahead of them. Don't know what to think about Pettersson though. He hasn't stood out to me at all.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
While I didn't do formal rankings this year, Cale Makar was on my "bad pick" list and Liljegren and Brannstrom were good value picks.

It's only been a few summer games, but it's starting to show itself. Not saying Makar can't be anything, but he's a big project and I see him as bad value inside the top 10

I totally agree. Playing in the AJHL is not like playing in CHL, European pro teams, NCAA, etc. And without him playing at Hlinka, WJC or U18, it pretty tough to get an accurate read on how good he was and whether what he was doing in the AJHL would translate to a better league. In my opinion he was too much of a wildcard to use a top 5 or even a top 10 pick on. He scored, but looked very average today. I forgot he was playing for almost the entire 1st period. I want to see him again tomorrow to see if it was just an off game. I am really curious to see how he fares this year in the NCAA and at the WJC. That was not a pick Colorado can afford hit anything but a homerun with.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

whois the Canuck fan that ripped him?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hischier is a better prospect as of right now, and the only guys who have legitimate arguments to being better are Keller, Patrick, D. Strome and Puljujarvi. I'm glad to see Liljegren slip to us, and he looks to potentially being back to his previous self, but let's see some more of it before we starting making claims he'd be the best in his draft. Forwards are always much easier to project, and young defenders development tends to be quite rocky.

raw skillset hischier is no better than liljegrrn.

performance-wise what liljegren has done so far is much more impressive than what hischier has done. Liljegren's track record compares to elite of elite nhlers right now, hischier's does not.

that's just fact.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010

performance-wise what liljegren has done so far is much more impressive than what hischier has done. Liljegren's track record compares to elite of elite nhlers right now, hischier's does not.

that's just fact.
And anybody who disagrees with this undisputed fact, clearly isnt objective, just another biased leaf hater :popcorn:

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
Brannstrom had a great first two periods and bad 3rd period. The perception around his play certainly wasn't hurt by Button praising nearly every single thing he did, including a simple dump in from center ice (no joke) while keeping mum when Brannstrom couldn't exit the zone and consequently got his unit hemmed in several times and iced the puck unnecessarily twice.

Neither of Brannstrom or Liljegren were mistake-free today but Brannstrom got much more positive attention in the broadcast (which is fine, he's a great prospect) and yet only got 1A while Liljegren got 1G + 2A.

The HF response is funny though. No experts educating the masses of Brannstrom's deficiencies today in his thread while Liljegren gets all the negative attention from non-Leafs fans.

Tell me about it, Button is in love with Brannstrom and not so much for Liljegren, and yes Brannstrom played well today. One of the problems today was that for some reason LIljegren didnt play as much as the other statues on defense for Sweden.Its like Lilegren knows hes the best D man on the ice and tries to make something happen directly, when he has the puck(Button doesn't like that)but that's precisely why he got 3 points in this game even making some mistakes and being pissed about playing time, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

that's just fact.

How did all the scouts miss this yet you nailed it? You should get an NHL job and show them how it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille