RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I just don't understand why people are so vested in either downplaying this prospect, or defending him. He's played very well as the top pairing RD on the Marlies this year, before injury. He really is a guy, that you just let mature, and down the road, you either get something good, or not. It's a shame that injuries and illness have slowed down his career so much.

Reactions: Robongo01 and 7even

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
I just don't understand why people are so vested in either downplaying this prospect, or defending him. He's played very well as the top pairing RD on the Marlies this year, before injury. He really is a guy, that you just let mature, and down the road, you either get something good, or not. It's a shame that injuries and illness have slowed down his career so much.

Yeah, as a leafs fan I hope they take their time with him, and even let him "over ripen" a bit in the AHL.

Next year I'm ok with Rielly-Muzzin and Dermott-Zaitsev

I'd prefer him take the time at the AHL to get strong, stay healthy and learn the game.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Its weird though, if you read through this thread youll see some people saying he was a top pair D in the AHL at 18 and doing really well/getting hyped up. Now people arent that high on him and hes a number one D but not last year?

Interesting
And here you are when Lily is injured, how weird yet convenient. I can also recall all your posts in thread about Lily and how his production didn't measure up to your expectations. For some reason you seem to hold Lily's minimal, and mono riddled pro-career in Sweden against him. On some night he was getting as little as 3-4 min of ice time but yeah he was a really experienced pro when he come over lmao.

Let's be honest in all the many posts you have made about Liljegren's lack of production, not one of them exhibits any actual time spent watching the player. Its been a couple of years that the Wings passed on Lily, now can you stop dumping on him at every opportunity?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And here you are when Lily is injured, how weird yet convenient. I can also recall all your posts in thread about Lily and how his production didn't measure up to your expectations. For some reason you seem to hold Lily's minimal, and mono riddled pro-career in Sweden against him. On some night he was getting as little as 3-4 min of ice time but yeah he was a really experienced pro when he come over lmao.

Let's be honest in all the many posts you have made about Liljegren's lack of production, not one of them exhibits any actual time spent watching the player. Its been a couple of years that the Wings passed on Lily, now can you stop dumping on him at every opportunity?

All my posts have been that Liljegren isnt a perfect prospect but that I think he can be a top 4 D. Hes measuring up to my expectatins of that so far, but I think the issue lies in some Leaf fans going insane over him saying hes going to be a top pairing puck mover. Yes, to this point his offense doesnt look to be at that level. I've probably seen just shy of 10 games of Liljegren to form an opinion, which I think is enough to post on a message board about him compared to a lot of people.

My post you quoted is more calling out the double standard. Last year when hes doing well he was doing it while handling top pair minutes against tough competition, and setting records as an 19 year old in the AHL now the narrative changed in that post to he looked good in third pairing matchups but now this year is an adjustment for him.

I've maintained the same stance on him for a while. Offensive production doesnt look great if youre expecting a top pairing puck mover but could be a top 4 guy. The posts in repsonse to that are hilarious. If you dont absolutely love his game or point out any flaws you get jumped on in this thread. Well now Friedman is saying teams are down on him, maybe you should write them an angry email while youre at it and tell those teams hes still going to be a top pairing dman

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
All my posts have been that Liljegren isnt a perfect prospect but that I think he can be a top 4 D. Hes measuring up to my expectatins of that so far, but I think the issue lies in some Leaf fans going insane over him saying hes going to be a top pairing puck mover. Yes, to this point his offense doesnt look to be at that level. I've probably seen just shy of 10 games of Liljegren to form an opinion, which I think is enough to post on a message board about him compared to a lot of people.

My post you quoted is more calling out the double standard. Last year when hes doing well he was doing it while handling top pair minutes against tough competition, and setting records as an 19 year old in the AHL now the narrative changed in that post to he looked good in third pairing matchups but now this year is an adjustment for him.

I've maintained the same stance on him for a while. Offensive production doesnt look great if youre expecting a top pairing puck mover but could be a top 4 guy. The posts in repsonse to that are hilarious. If you dont absolutely love his game or point out any flaws you get jumped on in this thread. Well now Friedman is saying teams are down on him, maybe you should write them an angry email while youre at it and tell those teams hes still going to be a top pairing dman
Can you actually point to any Leaf fans expecting him to be a top pairing defensemen anytime in the recent past? Yes people got over excited right after he was drafted....The overwhelming consensus with Leaf fans is that he probably isn't going to be an elite top pairing guy, but that is fine, he is tracking better or exactly as you would hope he would be when the time of his draft. You seem to be arguing with a narrative that is like a year and a half old anyways.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

*18 year old. He's 19 this year, and his AHL sample for production at that age is significantly better than a lot of guys that turned into top pairing guys (in samples too small to draw any reliable conclusions from, including his own)

He's still a very unknown quantity, trying to put him in a box by looking at his hockeydb page has a lot of potential to backfire on you

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
At the earliest, mid-next season around this time.

Rosen is likely to be with the big club full time next season, so he'll get the lions share of the minutes with Sandin.

I don't think the earliest would be mid-next season.. Dubas said he was going to get a look down the stretch this year before that high ankle sprain. That suggests they think he can make the team out of camp next year. I'd rather him develop even further but yeah.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I think he spends all of next year with the Marlies as well, he's just not ready, especially due to losing significant time to injury. My hope is that he spends a ton of time in the gym (and drinking protein shakes during his workout downtime) next summer and comes back with another 7-10 pounds of muscle like Nylander did after his first full year with the Marlies. He is clearly a very good skater and passer, I have no doubt his offensive abilities are being underestimated around here. At any rate, I still think that he's a top 4 guy and I still believe he has it in him to take a big leap.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Thought he played very well in last years extended playoffs. He needs to a stretch of injury free time to get his confidence and game back. Think he needs another full season in the AHL before becoming NHL ready.
Leafs are depending on Liljgren and Sandin to be a cost efficient NHL competent pair in 2020/21

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

People love making hot takes so they can wait 6 months and say "see I told y'all so I was right all along!" Kinda pathetic. I don't think it's worth having an opinion just to have an opinion, but that's just not as exciting.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He is making the team out of camp in September. Book it!

Last edited:

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Thought he played very well in last years extended playoffs. He needs to a stretch of injury free time to get his confidence and game back. Think he needs another full season in the AHL before becoming NHL ready.
Leafs are depending on Liljgren and Sandin to be a cost efficient NHL competent pair in 2020/21
Definitely. Rielly is the only defenseman on the current roster under contract for that season. We can ease both of them into the NHL the upcoming season in third pairing minutes. Then, when Muzzin leaves, they can join the top 4.
A top 4 of
Rielly - Dermott
Sandin - Liligren
should be fun

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think he spends all of next year with the Marlies as well, he's just not ready, especially due to losing significant time to injury. My hope is that he spends a ton of time in the gym (and drinking protein shakes during his workout downtime) next summer and comes back with another 7-10 pounds of muscle like Nylander did after his first full year with the Marlies. He is clearly a very good skater and passer, I have no doubt his offensive abilities are being underestimated around here. At any rate, I still think that he's a top 4 guy and I still believe he has it in him to take a big leap.

I’d wager he’s in the NHL next year. Leafs can likely afford to promote Dermott to top 4 and shelter Lilly. It will help quite a bit with the cap situation. If both Sandin and Lilly can come up that would be tremendous and not impossible.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
oh yeah I forgot about him. But there are rumours he will be gone this offseason if not before the TDL
just saw a report from the Score app that the Leafs won't be dealing Liljegren, Sandin or future 1st rounders so at this point I don't know how they would offload Zaitsev without taking long term bad money back

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
just saw a report from the Score app that the Leafs won't be dealing Liljegren, Sandin or future 1st rounders so at this point I don't know how they would offload Zaitsev without taking long term bad money back
What is the precedent for sending first round picks/top prospects to off load bad deals? Not sure why it couldn't be done for B prospects and mid rounders.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
There are a few GMs who'd view him as a reclamation project in need of a change of scenery. A retention of 1 million could probably be appealing to some teams. And it's not like he's completely useless right now. He can kill penalties, and in the pp time he's been given, he's looked good.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
What is the precedent for sending first round picks/top prospects to off load bad deals? Not sure why it couldn't be done for B prospects and mid rounders.
the precedent is usually bad money for different bad money where the pieces fit, is there a precedent for a bad ~5 year contract for B prospects or middle picks? That doesn't feel like enough to make it interesting to me, I hope that I'm wrong

There are a few GMs who'd view him as a reclamation project in need of a change of scenery. A retention of 1 million could probably be appealing to some teams. And it's not like he's completely useless right now. He can kill penalties, and in the pp time he's been given, he's looked good.
well you can say that, but it's hard to know what he's viewed as. The analytics guys won't like him, and there's more and more of those taking major roles in front offices.

I wouldn't want to retain on him, seems pointless when at a million less he's paid like a low end #4 and playing with a partner who can carry him makes him passable as that. The way we're structured with ends of core contracts offsetting, you don't want dead cap in 3-5 years when you start to have to re-sign those guys with Rielly and Kadri up

I think the move with him is to wait until at least the summer and hope he's better for the rest of the year. If there's a play to get rid of Marleau (that hopefully they will have discussed at this point) then next year's cap crunch would be alleviated and you'd be looking to the summer after...and if that were the case I'd say the same - hope that Zaitsev has a better year, and with one less year left on his contract at a yet lower % of cap due to inflation, he might look less daunting for someone to acquire

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Watched Lily play today, he was solid. He is still coming back from an injury, but today looked like himself.

People seem to forget he played very well as an 18yr old last year, and was inured this year for a bit, but seems to be rounding back into form.... and is still only 19 lol

The kid will end up a top 4 defender, and that is more than fine.

Reactions: teddygmr and Mitchy

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
A 19 year old bust....that is having a good season. Always appreciate when people make it this obvious they are ignore worthy.
Looking like a bust is not a bust but its not looking good for him just like Alex Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad