RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
....and who views offensive numbers as the measure of a d-man. He's another in a fairly long line of Leaf prospects many people will look silly on.

You mean like all the posters posting pure numbers about Sandin without any opinion on his actual play?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think given the opportunity and the abilities, Lilly could absolutely put up studly offensive numbers but I feel like him taking more chances offensively overall takes away from the defensive schemes of the team. Lilly right now is contributing to his best abilities and is the Marlies undisputed #1 overall D-man. Which says a lot when you have an 18 year old Sandin who is putting up 24+ minutes a night and is over PPG. Lilly has been THAT good so far in these playoffs. It's astonishing how far he has come in his development.

Crazy what being in a good developmental system will do for a kid who has missed almost a full year of development at the most crucial age as a hockey player.

I loved this draft pick the day we made it and I am in absolute disbelief at just how good this kid is right now. For once in my life, the Leafs had a homerun pick land in their laps and they didn't f*** it up. Feels nice.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You mean like all the posters posting pure numbers about Sandin without any opinion on his actual play?
Pretty much. No knock on Sandin but I would love to hear all the non-Leaf fans in love with Sandin objectively point out what outside of offense they believe he has shown better than Little Grin?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
What a stud. Another great game tonight and has been arguably the Marlies best player during this playoff run, at least in this series. Can’t believe he just turned 20 and he’s looking this good.

2 assists tonight.

The only people who really doubted him were the guys who just looked at his counting stats and thought he regressed. Quite clear now how large a step he’s taken

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The only people who really doubted him were the guys who just looked at his counting stats and thought he regressed. Quite clear now how large a step he’s taken

He’s following a similar path to Rielly. He was drafted for his puck-moving ability and offensive upside, but since being drafted he’s really focused on his defensive game and turned into a two-way force.

He has the tools to be excellent offensively and I’m sure we’ll see that in the future. Just can’t believe how good he is at such a young age playing a tough position in a tough league.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
....and who views offensive numbers as the measure of a d-man. He's another in a fairly long line of Leaf prospects many people will look silly on.

Just like we were wrong about Komarov/Biggs/Finn/Tlutsy/Timashov/Percy/Frattin/McKegg/D’Amigo/Colborne/Blacker/Pogge/ Leivo, etc..

These were all hyped as the future of the Leafs heavily on these boards at one point.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Just like we were wrong about Komarov/Biggs/Finn/Tlutsy/Timashov/Percy/Frattin/McKegg/D’Amigo/Colborne/Blacker/Pogge/ Leivo, etc..

These were all hyped as the future of the Leafs heavily on these boards at one point.

When you have to go back 7 - 13 years ago to make your point (given one's knowledge of regime changes and shelf life), you really have to question the strength of your point, no?

The organization is a very well developed machine right now churning out talent at all levels, The farm team has a 22-5 playoff record over the last 2 years primarily on the backs of youth playing in a veteran league. Literally in a spot where they have too many NHL caliber players and not enough spots. Which is perfect given they need that to spell off the big contracts.

Then again, you also believe punches to the face are more dangerous than punches to the back of the head, so, grain of salt?

Last edited:

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018

sorry all of our prospects suck like Matthews, Reilly, Marner, Nylander etc we apologize now that you have won this noble crusade please take your talents elsewhere

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Kadri, Nylander, Johnsson, Dermott. I'll even throw in Hyman and Kapanen as players this team developed since you felt like mentioning a player not drafted by the Leafs.

Then guys like Moore, Bracco, Sandin and yes Liljegren that will be on the team within two years.

Your point is just wrong.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Any stat watching posters on here calling Lily a bust again?

So many ignorant morons who barely understand other teams prospects.

The kid will be just fine.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
sorry all of our prospects suck like Matthews, Reilly, Marner, Nylander etc we apologize now that you have won this noble crusade please take your talents elsewhere

You named players who were 8th overall picks or better... id hope they end up pretty good?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
You named players who were 8th overall picks or better... id hope they end up pretty good?
Using your argument that Liljegren will bust because guys like Tlusty and D'Amigo did is like me saying that Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno etc. will also bust because Frk, Jurco, Ferraro, and McCollum did. Stop being difficult. You aren't even trying to be constructive. Not even sure why you're here if you're just going to talk shit - you'd be bothered if people did this in the Zadina thread.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yup.

I love the way Keefe and Robidas are handling our D prospects.

(Edit: Really though, I love the way they are handling ALL our prospects)

Throw them into the fray with sheltered minutes in their first go round and say “show me what you got”.

Polish up the rough edges in their second season with heavy usage against heavier competition.

Then turn them loose.

I expect the same with Sandin (and Hollowell) next season although, he has shown he can handle the tough minutes/competition. But, as you said Liljegren looks to be more NHL polished right now.

Next up... Eemeli Rasanen and Joe Duszak
Duszak and Hollowell.

Rasanen is a paperweight.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Duszak and Hollowell.

Rasanen is a paperweight.

Rasanen is a project that could still pay off. I hope our organizaiton hasn't given up on him. Gordeev too for that matter... I think both are longshots, but they could be really good assets for us if they pan out.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Using your argument that Liljegren will bust because guys like Tlusty and D'Amigo did is like me saying that Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno etc. will also bust because Frk, Jurco, Ferraro, and McCollum did. Stop being difficult. You aren't even trying to be constructive. Not even sure why you're here if you're just going to talk **** - you'd be bothered if people did this in the Zadina thread.

I’ve never once said Liljegren will bust, I think he’s a pretty safe bet to be a bottom pair D at the least. Just responding to the poster who said everyone’s wrong when criticizing a Leafs prospect, as if there haven’t been a ton of prospects they’ve hyped that turned out bad

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

Congrats on pointing out the obvious. There's fans of every team that thinks their prospects are going to hit their ceiling when they're drafted. Don't act like this is a Toronto specific problem.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Given the weakness on the right side, I'd imagine he'll make the Leafs next year. He'll be given every opportunity to at the very least.
he should be on the Leafs based on his own merit (depending how the summer goes I guess). The Leafs needing a right defenseman will help him, but his level of play right now is very impressive

Reactions: AppsSyl
Mar 12, 2009

Half of those guys never had any real hype, at least not on the Leaf board lol.

A lot of the time when people are whine about how dumb Leaf fans are, you look at the thread and it's literally 1-3 Leaf fans each making 1 homer post, then 30 posts from non-Leaf fans (often the same handful) reacting to them.
I gotta give you credit though, over the years you've proven to be more obsessed with Leaf prospects and fans than 95% of Leaf fans are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad