RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
1. Lilj has gone from a sheltered bottom pair D to a top pair, #1 PP, #1 PK player in a calendar year.

He hasn’t had the luxury of playing #1 PP, that’s been Rosen outside of 1 or 2 games. Liljegren had 8 points in 18 games playing mostly on the Marlies #2 powerplay this year, before getting hurt in the first period of his 19th game. Outside of that I agree with your post. I only wish the Leafs medical staff had been more careful with him. How do you ice a player with a high ankle sprain who has been taking contact for less than a week?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I’ve never been fan of this guy. How is he doing?

Last year he played a sheltered 3rd pairing RHD role in the AHL (18yrs old) and did not look out of place. This year he is promoted to #1 RHD and not looking out of place. Was on pace for NHL call-up duty after the TDL this year but hit some unfortunate injuries that have held him back.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How long before he could try some NHL play?

At the earliest, mid-next season around this time.

Rosen is likely to be with the big club full time next season, so he'll get the lions share of the minutes with Sandin.

Reactions: ZEBROA

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Last year he played a sheltered 3rd pairing RHD role in the AHL (18yrs old) and did not look out of place. This year he is promoted to #1 RHD and not looking out of place. Was on pace for NHL call-up duty after the TDL this year but hit some unfortunate injuries that have held him back.

Its weird though, if you read through this thread youll see some people saying he was a top pair D in the AHL at 18 and doing really well/getting hyped up. Now people arent that high on him and hes a number one D but not last year?

Interesting

Reactions: Robongo01

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Its weird though, if you read through this thread youll see some people saying he was a top pair D in the AHL at 18 and doing really well/getting hyped up. Now people arent that high on him and hes a number one D but not last year?

Interesting

The truth is, he played more sheltered last year and looked real good doing it. This year he's playing top minutes, much tougher match-ups, a lot more responsibility and still doing well. I'm not sure why people aren't as high on him compared to last year, maybe cause his stats don't jump up or the stats don't show a ton of progression but the type of minutes he's getting and the responsibility he's getting, he's definitely right on track as the leafs have planned.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Interesting

Maybe because he had top pairing D offensive numbers? I'm not sure, I don't find it too interesting to dissect what every person means when they say "top pairing D". My definition is the position he's playing on the team this year, though.

Also there were plenty of people in here during his 18yr old season saying they aren't high on him, but it's similar to those coming in here this season, posting or referencing a few twitter GIFs as a right of passage to make an assessment on a player that entertains them.

Reactions: Mitchy

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Maybe because he had top pairing D offensive numbers? I'm not sure, I don't find it too interesting to dissect what every person means when they say "top pairing D". My definition is the position he's playing on the team this year, though.

Also there were plenty of people in here during his 18yr old season saying they aren't high on him, but it's similar to those coming in here this season, posting or referencing a few twitter GIFs as a right of passage to make an assessment on a player that entertains them.
But dude theres nothing wrong with using them as examples to back up their point. They tryna show it has basis to their claims.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The truth is, he played more sheltered last year and looked real good doing it. This year he's playing top minutes, much tougher match-ups, a lot more responsibility and still doing well. I'm not sure why people aren't as high on him compared to last year, maybe cause his stats don't jump up or the stats don't show a ton of progression but the type of minutes he's getting and the responsibility he's getting, he's definitely right on track as the leafs have planned.

I think part of it was that after that Muzzin trade it came out that a lot of scouts were down on him. Couple that with the fact that he was supposed to be an offensive dman and he hasnt really produced much offensively and I think thats why people are down on him

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think part of it was that after that Muzzin trade it came out that a lot of scouts were down on him. Couple that with the fact that he was supposed to be an offensive dman and he hasnt really produced much offensively and I think thats why people are down on him
Got anything to back up "a lot of scouts"? Because he was consistently extremely effective for the Marlies the entire first part of the year....until he got injured. We got ourselves a 19 year old playing on the top pair in the AHL and doing it well....gets injured and for whatever random ass reason a month after he is injured people pop up saying he is having a bad season :laugh: It is actually hilarious.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Scouts?

I remember reading it was only L.A. who felt this way?

He had a great year as an 18yr old last year.

He has still been more than solid this year, despite injury. Keefe has been working on other parts of his game, so I don't believe he has the green light to do what he wants on offence.

This guy will be fine, and will slot in the top 4 nicely when his time comes.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Got anything to back up "a lot of scouts"? Because he was consistently extremely effective for the Marlies the entire first part of the year....until he got injured. We got ourselves a 19 year old playing on the top pair in the AHL and doing it well....gets injured and for whatever random ass reason a month after he is injured people pop up saying he is having a bad season :laugh: It is actually hilarious.

Yep lol

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Sorry, I guess the wording is "teams" are down on him right now. But if teams are down on him, that pretty much implies a lot of scouts are because these teams that are down on him would have a few scouts that have had eyes on him. I dont really have an opinion of his season either way, I havent watched him this year. But obviously NHL teams are a bit down on him and theres a reason for that.

Thats probably also why people are turning up in this thread saying hes having a down year. I dont know why thats hilarious. One of the more legit NHL reporters says teams are down on him, other teams fans are down on him but for some reason thats hilarious? I must be missing the joke

31 Thoughts: Three key decisions holding up NHL trade deadline dominos - Sportsnet.ca

Scouts?

I remember reading it was only L.A. who felt this way?

He had a great year as an 18yr old last year.

He has still been more than solid this year, despite injury. Keefe has been working on other parts of his game, so I don't believe he has the green light to do what he wants on offence.

This guy will be fine, and will slot in the top 4 nicely when his time comes.

Teams?

Teams have a lot of scouts so like I said, I would guess a lot of scouts are down on him as well.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Sorry, I guess the wording is "teams" are down on him right now. But if teams are down on him, that pretty much implies a lot of scouts are because these teams that are down on him would have a few scouts that have had eyes on him. I dont really have an opinion of his season either way, I havent watched him this year. But obviously NHL teams are a bit down on him and theres a reason for that.

Thats probably also why people are turning up in this thread saying hes having a down year. I dont know why thats hilarious. One of the more legit NHL reporters says teams are down on him, other teams fans are down on him but for some reason thats hilarious? I must be missing the joke

31 Thoughts: Three key decisions holding up NHL trade deadline dominos - Sportsnet.ca

Teams?

Teams have a lot of scouts so like I said, I would guess a lot of scouts are down on him as well.

Totally fair, and valid point :thumbu:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Teams?

Yeah....the quote is incredibly vague in that article. Cool scouts are down on him....does anyone want to actually back up that reasoning with something he has done on the ice this year? Or no? That is why it is hilarious. He was having an extremely good season....gets injured. A vague quote of scouts being down on him comes out and suddenly other teams fans think he is having a bad season. Yes count me as thinking that is funny and you missing the joke.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Teams?

Can you back up this statement with literally anything other than one of Friedman's "thoughts"? He's been pushing a lot of opinion pieces that aren't remotely fact based to drive controversy and clicks to his website for the past few years. He's gone way downhill as a reporter because of the crumbs he's forced to report on to hit 30 "thoughts" every week.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Can you back up this statement with literally anything other than one of Friedman's "thoughts"? He's been pushing a lot of opinion pieces that aren't remotely fact based to drive controversy and clicks to his website for the past few years. He's gone way downhill as a reporter because of the crumbs he's forced to report on to hit 30 "thoughts" every week.

No, I personally dont have multiple sources within NHL teams. But Friedman does and he said it. Can you back up that teams arent down on him? I personally have never said I'm down on him I was responding to a person who thinks its weird that people are all of a sudden down on him. It makes sense considering Friedman just reported it though.

Yeah....the quote is incredibly vague in that article. Cool scouts are down on him....does anyone want to actually back up that reasoning with something he has done on the ice this year? Or no? That is why it is hilarious. He was having an extremely good season....gets injured. A vague quote of scouts being down on him comes out and suddenly other teams fans think he is having a bad season. Yes count me as thinking that is funny and you missing the joke.

The quote isnt really that vague though. It says word for word teams are down on him right now. Some posters in here are down on him and have posted why, and there is a legit NHL source saying NHL teams are down on him as well. Down on him doesnt necessarily mean they think hes having a bad season either. But down on him could mean they dont think hes going to be a top pair dman like a lot of fans were ready to annoint him last year. It could mean they think hes more of a number 4 guy now.

I also dont think it was "suddenly" that people were saying hes not going to be a top pairing guy or anything either. People didnt think he was going to be a top pair guy last year either, now they have a quote about nhl teams being down on him as well. Hes not some blue chip prospect, theres flaws in his game that people have noticed. Completely fair for fans to be down on him

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No, I personally dont have multiple sources within NHL teams. But Friedman does and he said it. Can you back up that teams arent down on him? I personally have never said I'm down on him I was responding to a person who thinks its weird that people are all of a sudden down on him. It makes sense considering Friedman just reported it though.

The quote isnt really that vague though. It says word for word teams are down on him right now. Some posters in here are down on him and have posted why, and there is a legit NHL source saying NHL teams are down on him as well. Down on him doesnt necessarily mean they think hes having a bad season either. But down on him could mean they dont think hes going to be a top pair dman like a lot of fans were ready to annoint him last year. It could mean they think hes more of a number 4 guy now.

I also dont think it was "suddenly" that people were saying hes not going to be a top pairing guy or anything either. People didnt think he was going to be a top pair guy last year either, now they have a quote about nhl teams being down on him as well. Hes not some blue chip prospect, theres flaws in his game that people have noticed. Completely fair for fans to be down on him
I guess I don't really understand how thinking a defensemen turning out to be a top 4 defensemen is being down on him....I mean I absolutely do not expect Liljegren to be a top pairing defensemen. That is a unlikely outcome for him in my opinion. I just question again...what exactly is backing up people being down on him right now? Because it was crickets the first half of the season. Maybe it is more so just semantics in what you consider being down on him that we are disagreeing on? I watched almost everyone of the Marlie games he played this season and there was nothing I saw this season that would warrant someone leaving less impressed then when they walked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad