RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Looking like a bust is not a bust but its not looking good for him just like Alex Nylander

I dont know if I see a strong possibility of him being a top 2D, but unless things go south, I could pencil him easily as a 2nd pairing D which is not a bust. He was overhyped by some fans as a steal, and it could have turned out to be true but right now, it looks like he was picked right where he should have been drafted.

It is starting to be concerning for Alex Nylander though, there's still hope but you would expect a much higher production in the AHL in his 3rd year as an 8th overall pick but he's already equal his point production from last year in less games again, still young so you never know.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I dont know if I see a strong possibility of him being a top 2D, but unless things go south, I could pencil him easily as a 2nd pairing D which is not a bust. He was overhyped by some fans as a steal, and it could have turned out to be true but right now, it looks like he was picked right where he should have been drafted.

It is starting to be concerning for Alex Nylander though, there's still hope but you would expect a much higher production in the AHL in his 3rd year as an 8th overall pick but he's already equal his point production from last year in less games again, still young so you never know.

He's young and Lijegren is a D so more development time. But he looks ordinary in the AHL. Next year probably you want to see a very good season from him at Marlies. That's what we needed from Nylander this year and never got it -- he's a step closer to bust status but there's still time for him.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Where was he picked, 17th? If he becomes a 2nd pair D, that's a big win for a team who need players who are low cost.

Them having Sandin progress faster than thought takes the sting off Liljgren's ceiling not being as high

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Them having Sandin progress faster than thought takes the sting off Liljgren's ceiling not being as high

I'm not worried about ceiling's personally.

I think before his draft season people were predicting him as an Elite franchise D. But kids move at difference paces.

If he comes a genuine full-time NHL RHD. He'll have some value to the Leafs, especially cos he'll be cheap for a few years with it.

Sandin's progress is nice too. But it's truly hard to project what they'll actually be in the NHL.

If both can become full time NHL'ers with the Leafs. That's x2 bargain D which is vital in the coming years.

I'm not gonna fall into the trap of having to label a prospect like lots seem really keen to do.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Liljegren looking pretty darn good right now.
The progression in his overall game has been a huge surprise this season. At this point he's the best transition player on the Marlies. His elite zone exits and outlets are well documented but his gap control and risk mitigation in the D zone has gone from non existent to high, high level in the matter of a season.

I was pretty critical of his decision making with the puck last season (constant turnovers at the offensive blueline via poor shot selection and giveaways), but its like he's a different player this year, especially in the playoffs. He's been somewhat overshadowed by Sandin's historic U20 season, but Liljegren actually enables Sandin's offensive game because of how steady and reliable he's been away from the puck.

He looks like a Stralman clone in these playoffs so far (20+ minutes every night to boot). Game 1 vs. Cleveland was one of the most complete games i've seen from him in Toronto. Keefe has said he's been arguably their best player to this point.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
For Toronto Maple Leafs D? 4th or 5th guy for sure. For most (other) play-off teams? 6th,7th or 8th guy, no higher. (at the moment)
- Sandin is your top D prospect, by far.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Liljegren has looked fantastic. People who don't watch the Marlies will look solely at his points, but this season he has turned from a D some people thought could only play one end of the ice, to a great two-way player and very reliable, counted onto to play on both special teams, with solid decision making.

His ability to break up plays, and then transition the puck out of the zone is really good. I would argue that while Sandin has registered a lot of points and has shown he is ahead of Liljegren offensively at this point, Liljegren is the more polished 2 way player at this point. That is not a knock on Sandin who is fairly steady defensively, but a testament to Liljegren putting in the work this season to develop a solid 2 way game. It is a treat to watch them paired together. They are both going to be good ones. Hope they are the 3rd pairing for the Leafs next year.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Liljegren has looked fantastic. People who don't watch the Marlies will look solely at his points, but this season he has turned from a D some people thought could only play one end of the ice, to a great two-way player and very reliable, counted onto to play on both special teams, with solid decision making.

His ability to break up plays, and then transition the puck out of the zone is really good. I would argue that while Sandin has registered a lot of points and has shown he is ahead of Liljegren offensively at this point, Liljegren is the more polished 2 way player at this point. That is not a knock on Sandin who is fairly steady defensively, but a testament to Liljegren putting in the work this season to develop a solid 2 way game. It is a treat to watch them paired together. They are both going to be good ones. Hope they are the 3rd pairing for the Leafs next year.

Eye test and advanced stats back this up. Liljegren has become elite at driving possession and creating zone entries.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Which end? Personally I have never doubted his defensive game, just a matter of time before it came along. It became more and more obvious to me during his draft year that he probably wouldn't turn into a point producing D at the NHL level though.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Which end? Personally I have never doubted his defensive game, just a matter of time before it came along. It became more and more obvious to me during his draft year that he probably wouldn't turn into a point producing D at the NHL level though.
It is tough to tell what he will be in terms of a point producing D at the NHL level. His biggest strength is his transition game, which is the style of D that will thrive with the Leafs. Starting the play up ice moving the puck out of the zone to guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, etc can get you a fair number of points.

They seem to be handling very similar to what they did with Rielly. Focus on his own end, and then eventually unleashed offensively.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
It is tough to tell what he will be in terms of a point producing D at the NHL level. His biggest strength is his transition game, which is the style of D that will thrive with the Leafs. Starting the play up ice moving the puck out of the zone to guys like Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, etc can get you a fair number of points.

They seem to be handling very similar to what they did with Rielly. Focus on his own end, and then eventually unleashed offensively.

Yup.

I love the way Keefe and Robidas are handling our D prospects.

(Edit: Really though, I love the way they are handling ALL our prospects)

Throw them into the fray with sheltered minutes in their first go round and say “show me what you got”.

Polish up the rough edges in their second season with heavy usage against heavier competition.

Then turn them loose.

I expect the same with Sandin (and Hollowell) next season although, he has shown he can handle the tough minutes/competition. But, as you said Liljegren looks to be more NHL polished right now.

Next up... Eemeli Rasanen and Joe Duszak

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He looks phenomenal is his zone and getting the puck up. Hopefully the points come.

But being a top pairing D in the ahl at 19 is impressive

Hopefully

Rielly.
Sandin. Lilly
Dermott. Xxxx

For the future.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
The progression in his overall game has been a huge surprise this season. At this point he's the best transition player on the Marlies. His elite zone exits and outlets are well documented but his gap control and risk mitigation in the D zone has gone from non existent to high, high level in the matter of a season.

I was pretty critical of his decision making with the puck last season (constant turnovers at the offensive blueline via poor shot selection and giveaways), but its like he's a different player this year, especially in the playoffs. He's been somewhat overshadowed by Sandin's historic U20 season, but Liljegren actually enables Sandin's offensive game because of how steady and reliable he's been away from the puck.

He looks like a Stralman clone in these playoffs so far (20+ minutes every night to boot). Game 1 vs. Cleveland was one of the most complete games i've seen from him in Toronto. Keefe has said he's been arguably their best player to this point.

Accurate and well said.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
He looks phenomenal is his zone and getting the puck up. Hopefully the points come.

But being a top pairing D in the ahl at 19 is impressive

Hopefully

Rielly.
Sandin. Lilly
Dermott. Xxxx

For the future.
I agree, and as for that 3rd slot right D, Leafs have quite a few RD prospects making the transition to the AHL. Will be interesting to follow how Hollowell, Duszak, Rasanen and Lindgren do next year.

Marlies keep letting young defensemen play and it seems to be working for them.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
For Toronto Maple Leafs D? 4th or 5th guy for sure. For most (other) play-off teams? 6th,7th or 8th guy, no higher. (at the moment)
- Sandin is your top D prospect, by far.

Spoken like somebody who has not watched the Marlies

Reactions: nobody
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad