RD Simon Nemec (2022, 2nd, NJD)

enthuuusiast

Grossly Incandescent
May 14, 2023
Philadelphia
Travis Green is a joke of a coach, no clue why he is getting another shot even as an interim. Not that Lindy was moving mountains or anything but Green is so bad.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Stats aren't everything, but looking at plus/minus:

* Nemec is +4 in his last 5 games
* Luke Hughes is -7 (!) in those same last 5 games

The logical conclusion: Nemec is a healthy scratch. :huh:

In fact, going back the Devils' last 14 games (that's both March games and the entire month of February), Nemec has a minus rating in only 2 of those games (-1 both times). He's +5 overall in that time span.

In that same time span of last 14 Devils games, Luke Hughes has a minus rating in 9 of them, including a pair of -3 games, and 3 games with -2 each. Particularly impressive is that Luke Hughes is -11 in his last 7 games.

So, of course, Nemec must be the healthy scratch.

Reactions: salwan and FlyguyOX

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

What do you know, people who have no idea about anything about the Devils are once again looking foolish.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Stats aren't everything, but looking at plus/minus:

* Nemec is +4 in his last 5 games
* Luke Hughes is -7 (!) in those same last 5 games

The logical conclusion: Nemec is a healthy scratch. :huh:

In fact, going back the Devils' last 14 games (that's both March games and the entire month of February), Nemec has a minus rating in only 2 of those games (-1 both times). He's +5 overall in that time span.

In that same time span of last 14 Devils games, Luke Hughes has a minus rating in 9 of them, including a pair of -3 games, and 3 games with -2 each. Particularly impressive is that Luke Hughes is -11 in his last 7 games.

So, of course, Nemec must be the healthy scratch.
Exactly. Tough to take Amanda Stein seriously as she is basically a paid propagandist for the team; not an objective reporter.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Question to Devils fans: Who do you believe is the better defenseman long term, Hughes or Nemec?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Question to Devils fans: Who do you believe is the better defenseman long term, Hughes or Nemec?
I am partial to Hughes, he's shown sustained periods where he's flashed elite abilities. His upside certainly feels a fair amount higher, and that's no knock to Nemec.

Hughes has looked sluggish the last few weeks with the usage he's gotten, and the team's confidence as a whole has struggled, and he's certainly no exception. There was a 15 game stretch where he was averaging over 24 mins per game. It's a pretty common thing for younger NCAA guys to struggle in the back half of their rookie NHL season, especially ones that get deployed like a #1D over the course of 5+ weeks. We've seen the same sort of thing happened to Faber.

The last few games, it looks like he's turned the corner a bit. He's been much more confident with the puck and is skating better.

L Hughes projects as a Niedermeyer / Heiskanen type of roving defenseman who can cover tons of ice. By HF prospect grades, I'd probably rate him a 9.0C.

Nemec projects as an Ekholm / Josi hybrid. Not quite as explosive, but smart, crafty, and most importantly, steady. I would probably grade him a 8.5B.

Last edited:

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I am partial to Hughes, he's shown sustained periods where he's flashed elite abilities. His upside certainly feels a fair amount higher, and that's no knock to Nemec.

Hughes has looked sluggish the last few weeks with the usage he's gotten, and the team's confidence as a whole has struggled, and he's certainly not exception. There was a 15 game stretch where he was averaging over 24 mins per game. It's a pretty common thing for younger NCAA guys to struggle in the back half of their rookie NHL season, especially ones that get deployed like a #1D over the course of 5+ weeks. We've seen the same sort of thing happened to Faber.

The last few games, it looks like he's turned the corner a bit. He's been much more confident with the puck and is skating better.

L Hughes projects as a Niedermeyer / Heiskanen type of roving defenseman who can cover tons of ice. By HF prospect grades, I'd probably rate him a 9.0C.

Nemec projects as an Ekholm / Josi hybrid. Not quite as explosive, but smart, crafty, and most importantly, steady. I would probably grade him a 8.5B.
Excellent, thanks for the thorough reply!

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Nemec. And it's not close.

While both are still not physically developed enough to defend on a consistent basis, Nemec is much more aware when it comes to positional play. He is also willing to engage and does not consistently put himself outside the play or get caught out of position.

Reactions: Eegs and dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Luke Hughes and Nemec should be paired together.
Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 5.04.50 PM.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
When NJ stabilizes as a team they will. Maybe as early as next season. It's only a matter of time.

Ideal dream scenario in my eyes would be to get Marcus Petterson

Siegs-Hamilton
Hughes-Nemec
Pettersson-Marino

Hughes,Nemec,Hamilton offensive role
Siegs,pettersson,marino defensive role

need a goal: Nemec,Hughes,Hamilton
protect a lead: Pettersson,Nemec,Marino, Siegs

PP: Hughes,Hamilton,Nemec
PK: Pettersson,Marino,Siegs,Nemec

imo with that dcore, I wouldn't be concerned about a high pedigree goalie. With bounce backs from Siegs-Marino, getting dougie-Pettersson into the lineup, and improvements from Hughes-Nemec, we can be more like Carolina.

Edit: my specific reasons for pettersson:

PK: Bahl and Smith are our 2 best PK guys. BUT, they put us on the kill way too often, and are very poor passers which limits our transition play
Shutdown role: should be perfectly suited to a shutdown role like he's played in the past
Versatility of partners: he's looked good with offensive partners and defensive partners
Experience with Marino: he played 2000+ minutes with marino already of NHL time
Age: still quite young, should be good for years to come
Contract: I feel he would be an undervalued contract. LD, defensive, feels like the type of asset that you can get on a bargain. 6x6 or cheaper I'd love for him

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Luke Hughes and Nemec should be paired together.View attachment 849945
For now I agree but eventually I think they should be split up. Having one play 2nd fiddle because they are paired together will harm their growth I think.

I fear that Nemec's offensive game will suffer a bit if he has to play more defensively to cover for Hughe's when he goes beast mode on the oppositions side of the ice.

Hughes needs a Methot to his Erik Karlsson

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For now I agree but eventually I think they should be split up. Having one play 2nd fiddle because they are paired together will harm their growth I think.

I fear that Nemec's offensive game will suffer a bit if he has to play more defensively to cover for Hughe's when he goes beast mode on the oppositions side of the ice.

Hughes needs a Methot to his Erik Karlsson
I guess you could split them and just play the third pair about 12 minutes per game. I'd like to see them playing together when it makes sense and play about 24-25 minutes per game.

Reactions: Guadana and Xirik

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I guess you could split them and just play the third pair about 12 minutes per game. I'd like to see them playing together when it makes sense and play about 24-25 minutes per game.
I'm always in favour of approximately evenly rolled lines 5v5 at least thru 2 periods.

If you need a goal late, you see more luke, hamilton,nemec
If you're holding a lead, you see more siegs,marino,nemec (I'd like 1 more guy here)
PP you're gonna see a lot of luke
PK you're gonna see more nemec

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm always in favour of approximately evenly rolled lines 5v5 at least thru 2 periods.

If you need a goal late, you see more luke, hamilton,nemec
If you're holding a lead, you see more siegs,marino,nemec (I'd like 1 more guy here)
PP you're gonna see a lot of luke
PK you're gonna see more nemec
In two or three years we should see them reach their potentials. NJ has to figure out the depth both up front and on defense given that the core is in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad