RD Simon Nemec (2022, 2nd, NJD)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm not going to let some nerdy analytics try and tell me I'm not seeing what I'm actually seeing. All I can say, is drop in on a couple Habs games if you really want to understand how he's playing. And this isn't meant to be offensive, but unless one is actually doing that, they really don't have a clue. Even some of his very harshest critical Hab fans (and there were many) have acknowledged his play.

I'm not even able to watch every Devils game, so I'm sure as hell not tuning into Habs games just to watch Slaf. It just seems hard to believe that in this "new age" of analytics for the NHL that there aren't at least some data points that back up how much his game has improved and it's is solely something you have to watch to understand.

That being said, I'm honestly glad he's doing well and you and other Montreal fans are happy with his trajectory. Seems like the kid got a ton of unfair criticism early in his career and I'm sure it wasn't easy coming into Montreal as a #1 overall pick. I was hoping that he fell to NJ at #2, but that was based off a couple weeks of reading draft previews leading up to the draft - really didn't know a whole lot about any of the picks ahead of the draft. Never made sense for NJ to trade up considering there was no clear cut #1 pick, so I'm still rooting for Slaf as he was never a realistic option for NJ. Hope he keeps it up as I like Montreal - made it up there many years ago for a Devils game and it was a great experience.

I feel bad for Montreal, taking Slafkovsky over Nemec. Gonna be one of those draft disaster videos in a few years.

Nemec is probably the best second overall in 10 years just judging his play right now

Way, way too early to be making any kind of statements like this. Most of the players from this draft are still teenagers.

Reactions: Guadana

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Laterality and profile differences do not play a role. The coach only makes his choices based on age. Odd.

In any case, you confirm what I said when I talked about tutoring.

Where did I say the coach only makes his choices based on age? It's merely a perk.

How about you go ahead and tell all of us how you would set up the defensive pairs in NJ.

You have 3 left shot D men in Siegenthaler, Hughes & Bahl and 3 right shot defensemen in Nemec, Marino and Miller.

Bahl and Miller are clearly the #5 & #6 defensemen of the group. Are you going to go with a shutdown pair of Siegenthaler/Marino and then put your top two offensive defensemen together in Hughes/Nemec? Or maybe you pair up Bahl/Nemec and Hughes/Miller so that your two arguably best defensemen this season are paired with your two worst and the better guys are getting less ice time and/or worse guys are getting more than with the current pairings.

There's a hell of a lot more than go into it beyond "tutoring" but you're just being too obtuse to see/admit it to try to prove some nonexistent point.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Where did I say the coach only makes his choices based on age? It's merely a perk.

How about you go ahead and tell all of us how you would set up the defensive pairs in NJ.

You have 3 left shot D men in Siegenthaler, Hughes & Bahl and 3 right shot defensemen in Nemec, Marino and Miller.

Bahl and Miller are clearly the #5 & #6 defensemen of the group. Are you going to go with a shutdown pair of Siegenthaler/Marino and then put your top two offensive defensemen together in Hughes/Nemec? Or maybe you pair up Bahl/Nemec and Hughes/Miller so that your two arguably best defensemen this season are paired with your two worst and the better guys are getting less ice time and/or worse guys are getting more than with the current pairings.

There's a hell of a lot more than go into it beyond "tutoring" but you're just being too obtuse to see/admit it to try to prove some nonexistent point.
I have known and watched Simon Nemec for a very long time. I know he needs to have a solid guy defensively alongside him to perform. If Siegenthaler isn't that guy, NJ will have to find a competent guy in the next 10 years.

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014
Evaluation question. I wouldn't question yours but I'll keep mine.

Look at Montreal. Look at Slafkovsky's involvement on the ice, the efforts he makes to win fights, put his team in a position to carry the puck. It's not about a statistic. Yet it is obvious that he brings more than Suzuki and Caufield who benefit from his efforts.

I notice that many confuse points with level of play. The number of points does not mean the level of a player.

There are 20 point players who are better than 60 point players. It can go that far.

If Siegenthaler is paid 3.4 million and lined up next to a rookie offensive defender on the 1st defensive line, obviously he can't be bad.

Yes he doesn't score a lot of points but he's a very good defender. From my point of view.

The dictatorship of points... So players who play a match that ends 1-0 are less strong than players who finish a match 7-6 ? The points just indicate an action on a scored goal. You can be ultra individualistic and end up being the best passer on your team. This is a very misleading statistic
Did Montreal select Slaf #1 overall to be a 20 point scorer?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Did Montreal select Slaf #1 overall to be a 20 point scorer?
Did I say that ?

Did I say that ? Has Slafkovsky finished his progression?

In current show debates, analysts agree that Slafkovsky's game goes beyond points. He will perhaps cap at 60 points but his contribution to the team will be very important.

How would you structure NJ’s defensive pairings?

The coach is in a better position to make his choices. They look good to me. Siegenthaler next to Nemec is the best. But stop trying to force me to think that Nemec ensures the defensive stability of the pair. That's all.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I have known and watched Simon Nemec for a very long time. I know he needs to have a solid guy defensively alongside him to perform. If Siegenthaler isn't that guy, NJ will have to find a competent guy in the next 10 years.
You know Simon Nemec? That‘s pretty cool.

that being said your evaluation of him is terrible, you might want to stick to talking to him in person, rather than about him online. Because you‘re talking out your ass here.

Reactions: Daida

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You know Simon Nemec? That‘s pretty cool.

that being said your evaluation of him is terrible, you might want to stick to talking to him in person, rather than about him online. Because you‘re talking out your ass here.
Thank you but I will do without your provocative opinion once again.

Considering that I try to connect to the podcasts of the most knowledgeable when I make a statement on the site, you are accusing guys who spend thousands of hours viewing and analyzing. Terrible for them except that I know their opinion about Vitali Kratsov's opinion on hfboards. Useless.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sigh.

Slafkovsky’s underlying possession numbers have been better in the 2nd half of this season. His biggest issue is his shot creation, he needs to create more offense as a top six winger.

HFDevils posters know I will vomit data over everyone at the drop at the hat, but I’m (barely) managing to hold off because this is a Nemec thread and not Slafkovsky one.

I liked a lot of things about Slafkovsky before the draft, he’s a smart player, but his potential NHL production was always a big question mark and still is.

I don’t even remember a lot of talk about the Habs taking Nemec. The narrative was falling consensus 1st (Wright), Hot New Guy (Slaf) vs Dark Horse (Cooley). And not a lot of talk about Cooley either.

The “I bet the Habs feel bad!” shit is just petty bs to me since their fans don’t get a choice here. (I’m not much for trash talk though, what do you want from me, I’m a middle aged lady lol.)

The Nemec vs Jiricek stuff makes more sense here, since the Devils got to pick between RHD. Jiricek doesn’t have to be bad for Nemec to be a great pick for the Devils though, so I’m not rooting against the guy.

I know the one annoying Jiricek superfan makes it more difficult but most Czech posters here are pretty awesome.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Sigh.

Slafkovsky’s underlying possession numbers have been better in the 2nd half of this season. His biggest issue is his shot creation, he needs to create more offense as a top six winger.

HFDevils posters know I will vomit data over everyone at the drop at the hat, but I’m (barely) managing to hold off because this is a Nemec thread and not Slafkovsky one.

I liked a lot of things about Slafkovsky before the draft, he’s a smart player, but his potential NHL production was always a big question mark and still is.

I don’t even remember a lot of talk about the Habs taking Nemec. The narrative was falling consensus 1st (Wright), Hot New Guy (Slaf) vs Dark Horse (Cooley). And not a lot of talk about Cooley either.

The “I bet the Habs feel bad!” shit is just petty bs to me since their fans don’t get a choice here. (I’m not much for trash talk though, what do you want from me, I’m a middle aged lady lol.)

The Nemec vs Jiricek stuff makes more sense here, since the Devils got to pick between RHD. Jiricek doesn’t have to be bad for Nemec to be a great pick for the Devils though, so I’m not rooting against the guy.

I know the one annoying Jiricek superfan makes it more difficult but most Czech posters here are pretty awesome.
Who is Jiricek's superfan ? Because if you target me, I wrote exactly the same thing as you on this subject and I don't see any other user who is a fan of Jiricek.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Ugh. Why did the Nemec thread go from a Jiricek thread to a Slafkovsky thread.

Nemec has been excellent since his call up. I'll be interested to see how he's deployed as the games start to matter more in the standings. Devils have lots of room under the cap to add at multiple positions. I wouldn't be surprised if they add some veteran defenseman by the deadline.

Reactions: Forge

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
NJ therefore really needs to get rid of Siegenthaler and find another teammate for Nemec.
I dont think they need to get rid of Siegenthaler. May be find better partner to load them even more and limit Siegenthaler role, he is playing fine for his salary, sometimes painful, but fine. Its just another level of talent. I believe Nemec will start to make more mistakes with time at least for some period - Ruff is trying to use him in a more conservative way, when he will play more agressive, he will start to make more mistakes - you can see it in the case of Luke.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I dont think they need to get rid of Siegenthaler. May be find better partner to load them even more and limit Siegenthaler role, he is playing fine for his salary, sometimes painful, but fine. Its just another level of talent. I believe Nemec will start to make more mistakes with time at least for some period - Ruff is trying to use him in a more conservative way, when he will play more agressive, he will start to make more mistakes - you can see it in the case of Luke.
If he is carried defensively by a 20-year-old rookie who is not known for his defensive commitment, he must be released.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
10 years? why not at the trade deadline? devils have the assets and cap space to make a trade

and it shouldn't be hard to find a partner for Nemec. kid has been solid as a rock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad